New to weight loss

Options
My goal isn't anything excessive, but I would certainly like to lose 10 or 15 pounds. I have a few questions:

Will weight lifting burn calories just like cardio will, or must I do both? I enjoy weight lifting but have never liked running.

I see a lot of people say they gain weight with 1200 or 1300 calorie goals. How am I supposed to know how many calories I should be taking in? MFP set me at 1350 calories a day to lose around 1 to 1.5 pounds a week.

Is it true that I can continue eating ice cream, etc. as long as I stay within my calorie count? Will it hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In response to your questions:

1) You may not burn the same amount of calories during a weight lifting session as you would during a cardio session - but it can have the same or greater benefits to overall weightloss. First of all; your body will continue to metabolize and burn calories after a weight lifting session and as well building muscle will combat fat. While you definitely don't have to do both - I would recommend doing a combination program for the max result. If you just want to monitor your diet and lift weights you will see progress but will likely see better results with cardio and weights. If you are lifting heavy weights...you will get a greater cardio workout than with light weights as well keep in mind. Also, strength training in a circuit style format is a great workout - you don't just have to do running there are lots of body weight exercises that you can perform to get a good cardio workout!

2) You shouldn't be gaining weight with 1200 - 1300 calorie goals if you are not going over on the fat and carb levels. If you're eating say, 1300 calories but over 200 carbs, I think you would gain weight. But if you are eating 1350 calories and not going over your other levels you should not gain weight.

3) Further to that; you can continue to eat ice cream, etc...staying within all your goals not just the calorie count. I wuld monitor your portion control and the frequency of eating treats, etc...for overall health reasons not just to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I do both strength training and cardio. I've benefited from both.

I only have about 10 to lose and it's slow coming off (on the scale). However, my pants are all too baggy now and some of my tops have even gotten loose.

I recently reset my calories to only lose 0.5 lbs per week, because I felt I needed to change things up from the "1" lb a week loss.

I eat back about 1/2 of my exercise calories.

MFP had me set at about 1350 for a 1 lb per week loss too.

This is what works for me.