Could it be caffeine withdrawal?

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
Probably not, but I've never had a caffeine habit (coffee or soft drinks) so I'm kind of confused.

I'm genetically susceptible to migraines and bad weather can be a main cause. It rained here most of yesterday, which I assumed was the cause of the monster migraine I had. It's been a while since I had one.

I drink a cup of English breakfast tea (Twinings) most days at work, but rarely on weekends or any other days off. So I didn't have any yesterday, but I felt like having some, so I did and my headache went away as I drank the tea.

So that got me wondering if that headache could have been withdrawal? But I didn't have a headache on Saturday and I didn't have any tea.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You could have just been dehydrated. A coincidence that the tea hydrated you and your headache went away, having nothing to do with caffeine.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You could have just been dehydrated. A coincidence that the tea hydrated you and your headache went away, having nothing to do with caffeine.
    I had a ton of water, though. I drank a full gallon yesterday.

It was probably that it relaxed me or something. It was just so odd that it eased up with the tea like that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

It was probably that it relaxed me or something. It was just so odd that it eased up with the tea like that.

Sometimes warm drinks can help soothe you, indeed. Headaches can be caused by something as simple as tensed shoulder muscles.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sometimes warm drinks can help soothe you, indeed. Headaches can be caused by something as simple as tensed shoulder muscles.
    Most likely it was the weather. I've had migraines since I was 3 and am pretty familiar with my trigges.

Well, if it was just because it was relaxing and soothing, it's good to know I have a new cure!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's ornery-ness... that's what is always is. ;-)

Nah, I also get my caffiene headaches and my sinus headaches mixed up here..
  • rml_16
    Options
    It's ornery-ness... that's what is always is. ;-)

Nah, I also get my caffiene headaches and my sinus headaches mixed up here..
    It was definitely a migraine. I was just wondering if the caffeine was the culprit.
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Was MFP Crush withdrawal of course.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I would think it could be - caffeine does help ward off migraines --
  • rml_16
    Options
    Was MFP Crush withdrawal of course.
    lol
    I would think it could be - caffeine does help ward off migraines --

Well, I know withdrawal from it causes them and it can help cure them. I had forgotten, I'd also already taken an Exedrin, which has caffeine. But it didn't touch it (it was a bad one).
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal is worse than roid rage.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    One of the migraine meds I use has caffine in it. So I would say it was not withdrawl but the caffine help relieve the migraine
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I was never a pop addict myself. Just one every couple days, more when I was on vacation. Right around New Years, I quit cold turkey. I had headaches for a week.

I don't think you need to be drinking a 12 pack a day to feel the effects. But it definitely just could have been the changing weather or dehydration in your case.
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    Probably not, but I've never had a caffeine habit (coffee or soft drinks) so I'm kind of confused.

I'm genetically susceptible to migraines and bad weather can be a main cause. It rained here most of yesterday, which I assumed was the cause of the monster migraine I had. It's been a while since I had one.

I drink a cup of English breakfast tea (Twinings) most days at work, but rarely on weekends or any other days off. So I didn't have any yesterday, but I felt like having some, so I did and my headache went away as I drank the tea.

So that got me wondering if that headache could have been withdrawal? But I didn't have a headache on Saturday and I didn't have any tea.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

I suffer from chronic migraines and caffeine can definitely play a part. Caffeine can be a migraine trigger, but, if you already have a migraine can relieve it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm leaning toward the weather, especially since I didn't have a problem on Saturday.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have friends that get migraines and caffiene helps get rid of them. Also friends that get migraines from the weather.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My migraines are triggered by whatever! could be the weather, could be caffeine, could be cheese, whatever! When I gave up diet coke in January 2012 I saw a reduction in my migraines - weird. But still get them from other triggers.

Here's a website that lists some common food triggers. This is when I found out about the cheese. I was having a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and had a 3 day migraine and decided to perform a search, then vio la!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306955_2,00.html
  • rml_16
    Options
    My migraines are triggered by whatever! could be the weather, could be caffeine, could be cheese, whatever! When I gave up diet coke in January 2012 I saw a reduction in my migraines - weird. But still get them from other triggers.

Here's a website that lists some common food triggers. This is when I found out about the cheese. I was having a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and had a 3 day migraine and decided to perform a search, then vio la!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306955_2,00.html
    Thanks. I actually got my first migraine since I was 3 and they run in my family at least as far back as my great-grandmother. I also worked for neurologists for a year, so I'm VERY familiar with causes and such. lol

I thankfully don't have any food triggers. I was just kind of surprised that it went away with the tea and was concerned I'd screwed myself with the near-daily tea drinking. But it seems that probably isn't the case.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I hope you are starting to feel better, today.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I hope you are starting to feel better, today.
    Thanks. It was actually pretty much gone after that cup of tea.

But it's raining where I am today, so who knows if I'll get another one. So far, so good, though.