I'm doing a health documentary, and I want your help :)

Options
Essentially I'm doing the opposite of Super Size Me. Following all the best advise for 12 weeks, getting tests done before and after to see what happens. I'll be keeping a video diary and it gets edited together at the end. If you could answer these questions I'd be so so grateful.

1. If you had to pick the four pillars of a healthy lifestyle, what would they be?

2. Do you think certain foods are addictive?

3. "A normal person would find it more sustainable to eat a healthy and balanced diet, not cutting out macro nutrients or eating strange proportions of them". Agree or disagree?

4. If you can, give me a very short description of what "healthy eating" is to you.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    1. Nutritious food in the right quantity, exercise for fitness, sleep for renewal and a healthy mental state

2. No, I think personalities are addictive.

3. Agree

4. Eating well 80% of the time and allowing for treats and good times.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    1. Eat intelligently. Work out reasonably. Don't cut out the things you love. Be open to learning about new things and new ways of thinking.

2. I do think certain foods are addictive but the reasons foods may be addictive can be different for different people. Some people are addicted to the taste. Some are addicted to the ease or low cost at which they can obtain these foods. Some are addicted to the limited options that time constraints may put on them. It really depends on the person and lifestyle but I also think this can be overcome.

3. Disagree. I think a normal person (meaning an average person) will always have cravings or be put in situations where a balanced diet isn't possible or doesn't make sense. We became overweight because we like delicious things that are calorie dense, so to permanently cut out things that don't factor in to the traditional idea of a "balanced diet" is not realistic for us. Some days I will sleep through breakfast and make up for it by having a massive sandwich with lots of meat and cheese and mayo. Forget veggies. And there is nothing wrong with that. Because other days I will eat salad, have fruit for snacks, and have a dinner that is 50% veggies. So I don't feel bad about skipping certain macros some days.

4. Healthy eating to me is going heavy on veggies, moderate on fruit, getting enough protein to meet recommended daily intake, having two to three servings of whole grain a day, and then filling in with fats and maybe some alcohol to meet my calorie goal.
  • ablot63
    ablot63 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Essentially I'm doing the opposite of Super Size Me. Following all the best advise for 12 weeks, getting tests done before and after to see what happens. I'll be keeping a video diary and it gets edited together at the end. If you could answer these questions I'd be so so grateful.

1. If you had to pick the four pillars of a healthy lifestyle, what would they be?

3. "A normal person would find it more sustainable to eat a healthy and balanced diet, not cutting out macro nutrients or eating strange proportions of them". Agree or disagree?

4. If you can, give me a very short description of what "healthy eating" is to you.

1. eating clean/drinking water, exercising, sleeping enough, and having a positive outlook

2. no

3. agree

4. healthy eating is cutting out all sorts of junk food (candy, chips, soda) and anything processed, and eating mostly all natural, healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, nuts, seeds, and whole grains
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Determination, Intelligence, Common Sense, Maths

No but I do believe if you have an addictive personality you could be addicted to anything from wall licking to eating ho-hos.

Agree.

Anything under the sun within moderation.
  • GimmieDatSalad
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sad to say but the reason why Morgan Spurlock didn't bother showing how he got back into shape was because eating healthy and losing weight normally isn't sexy.. most people don't care about him losing 1 lb a week or trying to get his blood pressure back to normal (which took him 9 months to get back to his old self).. but ya good luck
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Love yourself enough to make good choices.

Exercise (move move move) every day (active rest days too)

Eat green things at every meal (spinach, mixed greens, broccoli whatever)

Cut out refined sugars (no cupcakes, at least not 3 hours before bed lol)(IIFIYM)

I do believe sugar/complex carbs create cravings

3. "A normal person would find it more sustainable to eat a healthy and balanced diet, not cutting out macro nutrients or eating strange proportions of them". Agree or disagree? Agree (but it depends)

Making smart choices that fit into to my macros. Drinking alot of water 1/2 - 1 gallon per day
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

1. Moderation 2. some sort of physical activity every day (walking, playing outside with the kids, gardening etc etc) 3. A focus on long term goals/habits/sustainability 4. enough sleep

No.

? Not sure I understand the question.

For me personally, I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet-following Michael Pollan's simple philosophy of "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    you may want to consider this.
    6a00e5500a0b55883401310f8988f5970c-pi
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    eat at a reasonable deficit, eat a varied diet, exercise a bit, and don't forget about emotional health

I think this will be different for everyone, but I think that the emotional reactions to foods can be very close to addiction. For those of us who've used food to comfort and soothe anxieties over the years, without learning other ways to deal with our stress, not eating to excess can cause those stresses to flare up until it feels like they're taking over our lives. I hesitate to define it as addiction, but it can be a very consuming feeling when it happens.

Well, it worked for me. But I think defining a "normal" person when food can get so tied up in emotions is rather a difficult thing. Some people feel more control by cutting things out. Some of us feel less control that way. Just depends on the person, their habits, etc.

I watch my calories, try to eat at least 100g protein in a day (I rarely hit my real goal of 120g), and have ice cream most nights. Working within those boundaries, and especially with my protein and calorie goals, that leaves less room for what many would consider "junk" foods and has me eating more lean proteins and veggies.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    1. Eating "real" food as opposed to overprocessed garbage; watching portion sizes; making sure I have a protein, fast carb, and as low carb with each meal; exercise.

2. Yes! It's proven that certain foods trigger chemical changes in your brain so I can see how this could happen. Off the top of my head, I think of chocolate and potato chips for starters...

3. What defines a "normal" person?

4. I eat whatever I want, just try to make sure that I don't go overboard on portion size. Also, I need to be conscious to eat a protein, fast carb, and as low carb because typically I am always lacking one of those things which isn't good. So for instance, instead of having a stack of pancakes slathered in butter and syrup for breakfast, I'll have 4 pancakes, 1 pad of butter, and 1 TBSP of syrup, 2 slices of turkey sausace, and a cup of fresh berries.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    -Self Control
    -Knowing your numbers (calorie/macros goals)
    -Getting out and being active at least a few times a week
    -Allowing yourself to enjoy life and not obsess with being "perfect" 24/7

No

Agree

IIFYM
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options

1. Being fortunate enough to avoid accidents, injuries and lifestyle altering illnesses.
    Having a good work/life balance along side a supportive social network
    Having the financial wherewith-all to afford healthy life style choices (eating well and taking enjoyable exercise)
    Having the type of personality that can avoid making self-destructive lifestyle choices.

2. Sugars and refined carbohydrates

3. It depends what is seen as a "normal" diet. If "normal" is lots of ready-meals and packets then NO! If "normal" is good cooking from fresh ingredients with few refined additives then "YES".

4. Home prepared fresh foods. Plenty of veg, fruit, seeds, nuts, eggs, milk products, fish, chicken, meat, herbs and spices, along with good quality cooking oils. Few wheat products and very little sugar used in cooking. Restricted coffee, and variety of teas or water to drink. No fizzy drinks or commercial cordials.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options

1.) Adequate hydration, exercise appropriate for one's age, monitoring of one's caloric intake vs. daily needs, the pursuit of our spiritual contentment.

2.) Not in my experience.

3.) Strongly agree

4.) Minimizing fried foods, minimize overly-processed foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

1. Proper nutrition, proper fitness, proper hydration, proper rest

2. No, I think people lack self control and discipline and people like to blame "addiction" to sugar or fast food or whatever because it's easier than taking responsibility for their decisions. I've never seen anyone in the throws of DTs from giving up sodas.

3. moderation is sustainable, deprivation generally is not. Of course, exceptions must be made for allergies and medical conditions.

4. A well rounded, balanced diet. Lots of nutrient dense whole foods...veg and fruit, healthy fats, and lean proteins. Limited junk food in moderation. If everyone just did what they know in their hearts that they're supposed to do, all of this would be very easy...eat well and exercise...everything else kinda just falls into place after that.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    1. If you had to pick the four pillars of a healthy lifestyle, what would they be? Clean eating, water, exercise, sleep

2. Do you think certain foods are addictive? Absolutely. I believe I have a sugar addiction - once I start, can't stop until I feel sick. I've had to give up processed sugar entirely.

3. "A normal person would find it more sustainable to eat a healthy and balanced diet, not cutting out macro nutrients or eating strange proportions of them". Agree or disagree? I'm not sure I understand the statement.

4. If you can, give me a very short description of what "healthy eating" is to you. Healthy eating is a primarily plant-based, clean eating (very few pre-packaged foods and almost no fast food), diet which includes a lot of water.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options

2. No, I think people lack self control and discipline and people like to blame "addiction" to sugar or fast food or whatever because it's easier than taking responsibility for their decisions. I've never seen anyone in the throws of DTs from giving up sodas.

3. moderation is sustainable, deprivation generally is not. Of course, exceptions must be made for allergies and medical conditions.

4. A well rounded, balanced diet. Lots of nutrient dense whole foods...veg and fruit, healthy fats, and lean proteins. Limited junk food in moderation. If everyone just did what they know in their hearts that they're supposed to do, all of this would be very easy...eat well and exercise...everything else kinda just falls into place after that.

You've never tried to give up caffeine, I take it. I've tried on numerous occasions - I got severe headaches and an inability to concentrate. I also believe I have an addiction to processed sugar, as do many people. I've given it up, and once I went through a pretty tough cleanse, have not craved it since. Some people can handle things in moderation, others cannot.
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options

1. (1) Balance between work/school and family/friends. (2) Fueling your body with the proper nutrients. (3) Time to yourself, time with others (healthy ratios will change between introverts/extroverts); doing what you love - what makes you happy. (4) Physical self-care, exercise, etc.

2. Not exactly; however, genetically about 15% people's brains are genetically predispositioned, or 'wired' for addiction. The same food/drug/activity that releases dopamine in the brain can release 3-5x more dopamine (in the Nucleus Accumbens - primative, "reward centre"), which is a very significant difference in the pleasure experience, in those who are 'wired' for addiction. (Trust me, I'm in treatment.) On that note, cross-addiction is usually in place as well and as a person beats one addiction/dependance they'll often replace it with another. This is the greatest factor for relapse.

3. Completely disagree. What's "normal"??? Who the hell wants to BE "normal"?! We are all unique individuals with our own inherent value, skills, personalities, behaviours and feelings.

4. Eat The Rainbow!!! The more varied the colours of your veggies, the more variety of vitamins you are getting. Leafy greens are important, as is protein and general balance. AVOID SOFT DRINKS AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS (except Stevia, I gather).

Hope that helps - feel free to message me if you'd like me to elaborate on anything. :)

~wah

(edited for spelling. oops.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise, a diet that focuses on health without being too restrictive for sustainability, proper rest, stress management.

2. Yes, I believe there are foods that can become addictive. I think simply overeating can become addictive.

3. Agree - though I'm not sure how one would define "a normal person"

4. I think the Mediterranean Diet is a good guide. Focus should be equally on calories, nutrition and taste, and it should leave room for treats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You've never tried to give up caffeine, I take it. I've tried on numerous occasions - I got severe headaches and an inability to concentrate. I also believe I have an addiction to processed sugar, as do many people. I've given it up, and once I went through a pretty tough cleanse, have not craved it since. Some people can handle things in moderation, others cannot.

Sorry, but I'm an actual recovering addict...caffeine isn't ****...a little headache and difficult concentrating for a couple days isn't ****...