Working out in the evening

Options
I recently read an article that the best time for fat loss workout is in the morning with empty stomach as that will directly burn your body fat, where as working out later in the day will burn the calories you consumed that day. That's very disappointing because I get time to go to gym only late evenings. How far is this true? Will I be able to burn fat by working out later in the day?

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I lost the most weight when I first began and I routinely did not do anything until very late in the evening right before bed as I did not have energy until the end of the day. I lost a lot of weight then so I'm sure it didn't hurt me.
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I only work out in the evenings, and I've lost over 15 pounds in 8 weeks. The most important thing to do is exercise regularly. Find a time during the day that fits with your schedule and keep to it; don't worry about whether or not its the absolute biologically optimal time or not. Your "optimal" time is whenever you will be able to commit to it regularly.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've found that working out in the afternoon/evening is much more beneficial for me than early in the morning. I'd rather have the energy from food to fuel my workout so I can work harder, than just going off the depleted stores that are left over from the day before. I've begun to think that working out in the morning is just one of those conventional wisdom things that has some merit, but not enough that you sacrifice all to follow this bit of advice. I'm pretty sure that as long as you're eating right and exercising regularly, it doesn't matter what goes where as long as you're consistent. Most (I'd say at least 75%) of my loss has been from non-early morning workout exercise.
  • woodmanseefamily
    woodmanseefamily Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found it better to workout in the evenings especially after dinner so that I am not going to bed with all those calories, cause during the day you burn calories too. I am a mom and only find me time in the evening, so it has def. helped and have lost lots of weight, so keep up your great work and your routine that best fits you and you will lose weight. You can actually gain weight getting out of routine especially when you dont have time for it. Good luck to you :):)
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    That's great to hear, thank you guys.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. To be honest, you can find articles/research that supports just about any opinion/position related to health/weight-loss/exercising. Find what works for you - what fits in with your schedule and allows you to stick with it.

For me, I prefer to exercise in the evenings. I work an 8-5 job and am NOT a morning person. Working out at lunch doesn't appeal to me. That leaves the evenings... I prefer to relax for an hour or so, and usually I'll eat dinner around 6. It's frequently 7 or 8 before I start my workout. I'm losing just fine - both inches and weight. I feel great.

Some people prefer mornings... whatever works for you! Experiment and find out (if you don't already know... but it sounds like you do). :flowerforyou: If evenings work for you, I don't see why you should change.
  • navyrn1974
    Options
    Just work-out! Calories in vs calories out! Get it done however you can and you will see results.
  • hingebre
    Options
    No matter when you work out you're going to burn fat. Many people think working out in the morning on an empty stomach is a good idea, but in reality you'll have less energy and won't be able to work as hard, and therefore may end up burning less calories overall. If you do exercise in the morning it's a good idea eat a little something, like a granola bar or sports drink. Working out in the evening may be beneficial because it will keep your metabolism revved for a little longer, which can be beneficial if you exercise close to bedtime.
    Bottom line - exercise regularly any time of day and you'll burn fat and calories :)
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. To be honest, you can find articles/research that supports just about any opinion/position related to health/weight-loss/exercising. Find what works for you - what fits in with your schedule and allows you to stick with it.

For me, I prefer to exercise in the evenings. I work an 8-5 job and am NOT a morning person. Working out at lunch doesn't appeal to me. That leaves the evenings... I prefer to relax for an hour or so, and usually I'll eat dinner around 6. It's frequently 7 or 8 before I start my workout. I'm losing just fine - both inches and weight. I feel great.

Some people prefer mornings... whatever works for you! Experiment and find out (if you don't already know... but it sounds like you do). :flowerforyou: If evenings work for you, I don't see why you should change.

This, exactly. I'm a mom too and my bf & I work such different schedules that the only time I really can work out now is early in the morning, but before we both started new jobs I always worked out in the evenings- I've lost weight & toned doing both. The most important part is that you're actually doing it and sticking with it.
    Good luck on your journey!!
  • vonnegut2767
    Options

Can we just cut and paste this response to every post that anyone makes on MFP from now until the end of time? In the age of the internet (it's a series of tubes, you know) every nut-bar with a modem thinks they're an expert. Thank you for some much-needed level-headedness. It can be awfully rare on these forums.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    It was said before - the daily workout is more important than when the workout occurs. The second most important (to me) is varying the workouts so you don't become stale or compacent.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings as well. That is when I can. I really don't think it makes much of a difference when you workout, as long as you do it. :happy: