How long is it going to be like this?

Options
Dedicated_Donna
Dedicated_Donna Posts: 13
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I have always been a binge eater, I have put away ridiculous amounts of food until my stomach couldn't hold anymore. Today is my second day of REALLY trying. Last night I went to bed with my belly growling. I think my stomach is so stretched out, that it thinks it needs more food than it does to kill the feeling of hunger. Another thing I am concerned about id how long it will take my mind and my body to get in sync on the differences between full and stuffed. I am very excited about making these changes, but when will this feel more natural?

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you can make it a few more days, it will get easier. IIRC, the first 4-5 days were REALLY tough until I became accustomed to eating less food. Hang in there!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I could give you an exact timeline but I can tell you that it does get better. I used to be able to pack away a rediculous amount of food but I just can't anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat and I still eat more than some other people I know but it's still not as bad as it used to be.

One thing you may want to try is concentrating on quality over quantity. Processed, carby foods like dry cereal or bread tend to get processed quite quickly. So instead of having cereal and milk for breakfast, try having more proteins and healthy fats like an omelet with cheese and ham and veg or peanut butter and banana on 100% whole wheat toast. I eat protein with every meal including snacks because it's the only way I'll feel satisfied.

Also, try having plenty of healthy snacks on hand so you don't have to go hungry. Most fruits are 100 calories or less or you could have a handful of almonds and/or walnuts. Most of the time if I just need al ittle something to get me through those3-4 hours between my last snack and dinner, I'll have 1/2 Tbsp of peanut butter out of the jar. To me, a small snack is better than going hungry - plus most of the time if I allow that I won't end up eating as much dinner as I had planned.

Which brings me to my last point - try not to wait until your super hungry to eat. I know this seems like a good way to keep your calorie intake down but I've found it just leads to binging later in the day. Even if you're not hungry, have your snacks as planned to stave off that hunger so you don't end up overeating once the hunger really kicks in.

Keep trying different things to see what works best for you. Best of luck!! :)

P.S. Your profile pic is very sweet! :flowerforyou:
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am currently working to try to eat 30 grams of protein for each meal....this helps a lot with feeling satisfied.

Some meals I've found that I like:

2 hard-boiled eggs and non-starchy veggies
    1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese with apple butter on top.
    Turkey burgers over a bed of lettuce
  • emilybaun
    Options
    For the first couple of months, I anted to give up.. But I didn't! Your stomach grows accustomed to your new eating habits with time!
  • Bearbo25
    Bearbo25 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can tell you I cut back my food intake almost in half from what I was eating over 2 months ago. I used to eat until I was so full I was sick. The first 2 weeks were hard for me but got so much better after. Now after 2 months if I eat a fuller meal I actually feel like crap.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Good question. It took me around 2 weeks for this all to feel natural.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    It will take time, you can blame ghrelin for this.
    But it comes down to just making sure you see your goal through to the end.

Keep a bag of carrots or broccoli on hand.....
  • Dedicated_Donna
    Options
    P.S. Your profile pic is very sweet! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Thank you, My MOH caught the surprise proposal on camera. It is funny, there are 3 pictures of it on my computer, and this guys face change was so funny. It went from confused to 'dude, you screwed up'.
  • Dedicated_Donna
    Options
    And thanks for the suggestions and encouragement...this is a whole new ball game for me. I have never been serious about my weight loss before, but I refuse to be limited by and ashamed of my size anymore. I don't want the people at the Chinese buffet to know who the hell I am anymore!!!! lol They know my name, my 2 year old's name, and my usual beverage.....omg!
  • Txman70
    Options
    I would add that logging EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth has really helped me. If you have worked out your calorie goal for the day in MyFitnessPal and also your macro-nutrients, you will be able to quickly see what you can and cannot eat. As has been stated protein is more filling than fat or carbs and you can have 1 gram for each pound of lean body weight which for me is a lot. So if you get your calories from fish, chicken, meat, etc. you can eat quite a bit and still stay within your goals. Empty calories are your enemy. This does not mean I have not been hungry sometimes, but it has been tolerable. Of course your mileage may vary, but I really think logging everything as accurately as possible makes all the difference in being successful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have always been a binge eater, I have put away ridiculous amounts of food until my stomach couldn't hold anymore. Today is my second day of REALLY trying. Last night I went to bed with my belly growling. I think my stomach is so stretched out, that it thinks it needs more food than it does to kill the feeling of hunger. Another thing I am concerned about id how long it will take my mind and my body to get in sync on the differences between full and stuffed. I am very excited about making these changes, but when will this feel more natural?

Protein, fat and fiber all helps keep you full. You will have to experiment to find which works best for you. I can eat a ton of low fat protein & feel hungry in a fairly short period of time. For me it's a combination of protein, fat, and fiber.

Look at daily foods ..... can you bump up the protien or fiber in any of your food choices? For me, I swap out high sugar cereal for high fiber cereal, it has more staying power. I swap out greek yogurt for regular yogurt (more protein). I swap out whole wheat bread for white (more fiber and more protein).....just keep tweeking your diet..... it will get better over time.

Are you exercising? If you are using MFP as designed, you are expected to eat calories back (that's because your deficit is built in with zero exercise). A 2 mile walk (Leslie Sansone) gives me 250 extra calories.
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been brought up in a family where finishing your plate was pretty much mandatory. Learning when you're full is a strange process but if you put in some effort you'll start recognising it. This is really important for preventing a binge. When people say 'eat slowly and chew/enjoy your food' that's really all there is to it.

I made a point to always leave something on my plate, wait 10 minutes and if I'm hungry I eat it, if not I bin it.

I can't really help if you snack but I think you need to learn when you're really 'hungry' and need to eat, as opposed to feeling peckish and nibbling.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    To be honest it took me about 6 weeks! There were some days I wanted to give up so bad. I did like some suggested and ate snacks that were higher in protein. I even had a melt down in the grocery store one night trying to find something that would fill me up and be within the calories that I had left. It has gotten much easier now though. You just have to stick with it. Drinking a lot of water really does help too.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    A simple thing that really helped me was to space out my meals and eat 5 smaller calorie meals throughout the day PLUS drink LOTS of water. Some days, upwards of 120oz.

YOU WILL DO THIS!
  • bnw1205
    bnw1205 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They really aren't kidding when they say it all starts with breakfast. I changed my morning habits from not eating breakfast or eating something like a bagel and I stay full so much longer. Here is what I have for breakfast pretty much everyday. 3/4 cup of cheerios with 1/2 c almond milk, a med size banana, a slice of wheat or whole grain toast with 1/2 tbl peanut butter (organic no added sugars or crap) and 1 hard boiled egg. It kept me full until lunch most days, and now I'm not always eating all of it before I start to feel full. And the best part all that food is around 350 calories or so.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Generally about 2 weeks to get that feeling of being hungry, or knowing when you are hungry. You will just have to eat on a schedule and have faith that it will work out that your body will find it's way back to eating healthy amounts of food. I struggled with this in the beginning because I was used to huge amounts of food and I found that one of the things that helped was ALOT of water or unsweet tea to still give you that feeling of putting something in your stomach, but not having the calories go in. I think it is like when smokers give up the habit and they are used to having something in their mouth so they move on to gum and it fills that void a little bit. One of the things that threw me for a loop was the amount of feelings that I was masking with food and having to deal with them when I did not use food to numb them out. That was a roller coaster at first, but go easier over time. There are still times when something will come up and I will have to fight through the binge, but it is few and far between now.

You will get there and you are doing great taking this first step.

Best wishes!!!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Good advice already given... Especially about the protein - plain Greek yogurt with berries is awesome & filling - almost like dessert.

Space out your meals - I don't eat as soon as I wake up, I just have a big glass of water & try to hold off eating until 8:30 or 9am. This way I'm not starving by lunch time. I usually have a small piece of fruit between lunch & dinner, then have a late (7pm) dinner so I'm not looking for more snacks in the evening. It took me 2 or 3 weeks to stop being hungry all the time.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat? What is your exercise and lifestyle like? You shouldn't feel "full" but you also shouldn't be going to bed with your stomach grumbling :(

I love MFP but I found they set my goal too low initially! It set me as 1200 calories even though I have a very active lifestyle. I tried to do it, but after 2 months I did some research and realised I wasn't eating enough! In January I increased my calories to 1700 and ate about that until August when I hit my goal weight :) Yes I could have potentially hit my goal earlier had I stuck to the 1200, but if I continued to feel faint and hungry constantly, I probably would have given up! It just wasn't healthy! 1700 I ate was MUCH better for me and gave me the extra energy to keep up with my day to day life :)

and FYI, I used this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It differs for everyone. There are days now when I feel like that! But there are lots more when I don't. I agree with the person who said keep carrots (? I think) on hand. For me it was celery. Whatever, just a crunchy, easy to grab vegetable. (I need to keep this in mind again as I am tending to grab cashews instead and they are too high in calories to eat a sufficient quantity to satisfy!) And log everything, even when you do give in and binge. Often I have been tempted not to, but turned right around and did log it to keep myself honest when I look back to see where did I go wrong!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am very excited about making these changes, but when will this feel more natural?

It took me about a month to stop feeling hungry all the time. Part of that would have been conditioning, but equally as I started logging I became more thoughtful about what I was eating, and when.
This discussion has been closed.