Taking Phentermine, eating 1200 calories, not losing weight

Options
Hello everyone. I have been on phentermine for about four weeks now. I have been logging my calorie consumption on here for about two weeks or so. The first two and a half weeks, I lost 10 pounds, but these past week or so, I haven't lost ANY. I am eating 1200 calories or under. I have seen some of you post about MFP. What is that, and how do I calculate it?

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I have been on phentermine for about four weeks now. I have been logging my calorie consumption on here for about two weeks or so. The first two and a half weeks, I lost 10 pounds, but these past week or so, I haven't lost ANY. I am eating 1200 calories or under. I have seen some of you post about MFP. What is that, and how do I calculate it?

are you excercising?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    because the first ~5 lbs could've just been excess water... the other 5 lbs is a mix of fat and muscle. Your body is trying to decide what to do next. A plateau is a good indication of either you're cutting calories too low or you just need more time.
  • christinegarza
    christinegarza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stop taking phentermine. Exercise. Eat clean. Focus on how your clothes feel. You shouldn't be losing anymore than 1-2 pounds a week if you want to be consistent and not gain back more than you lost.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Stop taking phentermine. Exercise. Eat clean. Focus on how your clothes feel. You shouldn't be losing anymore than 1-2 pounds a week if you want to be consistent and not gain back more than you lost.

This. Exactly.
  • aerynholly
    aerynholly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a drug - it's short for MyFitnessPal
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Agree! Slow and steady is the best way for healthy and long lasting weight loss.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MFP is the acronym for MyFitnessPal.

Here's my take:
    First, Weightloss isn't linear. Some days/weeks will be down, some up. Patience is key.
    Second, 1200 calories is the MINIMUM recommended amount of calories for a woman. If you're eating under 1200 calories, you need to make a concentrated effort to eat above 1200.
    Third,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    You want to lose 30ish lbs, so you should work on 1 lbs/week. Your 1200 calorie goal is too aggressive for such a loss. Go back through your settings and select 1 lbs/week instead of 2 (which is probably what you checked off).

I'm assuming your doctor prescribed the phentermine. If you have issues and/or concerns, you need to contact your doctor. If it's not prescribed (which I hope to goodness it is), then get off it.
  • bombshellinprogress
    Options
    I have taken that before and your body will adjust to it and the meds will not work as it did right at the beginning
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Generally, phentermine appears to be relatively well tolerated.[2] It can produce side effects consistent with its catecholamine-releasing properties, e.g., tachycardia (increased heart rate) and elevated blood pressure, but the incidence and magnitude of these appear to be less than with the amphetamines. Because phentermine acts through sympathomimetic pathways, the drug may increase blood pressure and heart rate. It may also cause palpitations, restlessness, and insomnia. Additionally, phentermine has the potential to cause psychological dependence.

After short-term use, tolerance begins and can be followed by rebound weight gain. Long term data for use of phentermine shows no net weight loss.

Cardiovascular side effects include palpitations, tachycardia, and elevation of blood pressure. In the central nervous system, it can cause overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, and headache. Its gastrointestinal effects include dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, and other gastrointestinal disturbances. It may also cause allergic effects - urticaria and changes in libido.

Its less common, but more severe, side effects include:[citation needed]

Convulsions (seizures)
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Agitation and aggression
    Bizarre behavior
    Mental or mood changes
    Exaggerated sense of well-being
    Increased blood pressure
    Severe or persistent light-headedness, fainting or headache
    Periods of mania followed by period of depression
    Fast or irregular heartbeat
    Overactive reflexes
    Tremors, trembling or shaking
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
    Stomach cramps
    Weakness
    Constipation
    Primary pulmonary hypertension
    Regurgitant cardiac valvular disease
    Pounding in the chest or shortness of breath

Looks like this is only good to take in short-term
  • marianb2001
    marianb2001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    MFP is just the acronym for My fitness plan
  • angelbabyskies
    Options
    If you want to avoid a plateau, eating 1200 and under won't help you. Eat maintenance calories for a couple days then eat 500 under your TDEE. Which should be over 1200 unless you're really short. Reaaon being that you do not want to get your body used to that amount before you have a chance to lose all your excess fat. Youd then have to cut more which isnt practical. And you don't need the weightloss pills for successful weight loss just saying...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

^This.

Maybe the "it's only calories in/calories out" philosophy is not working for you? For many of us, WHAT we eat does matter. Especially when it comes to high carbs/sugar and metabolic disorder. Also weight loss should not be a race and if you change your focus to HEALTH, you may find a sustainable lifestyle that is safe and creates effortless weight loss. Effortless, but not always fast. That's what I did. EVERYONE can lose weight, but not always following the conventional advice (low calorie and low fat is not only unnecessary, it's unhealthy).

Get off the dangerous drugs. Eat more-1200 is too low for most people- of healthy foods (find out what's healthy for you- I eat no grains, limit sugar and processed foods). There are no short cuts, except to hurt yourself. Get healthy and don't expect to lose weight overnight. Or just keep under-eating and hoping a pill will fix everything.

It's heart-breaking to keep seeing these types of posts. :sad:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You're are at MFP - My Fitness Pal.

Interesting that your profile photo is "say no to drugs".

My suggestion? Scrap the phentermine (too many dangerous side effects) and eat a balanced diet at a reasonable deficit with the goal being to lose at a healthy rate of 1-2 pounds a week.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was a drug, I thought it was something like taking your weight and height and calculating your BMI.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal - it works by you eating enough food to fuel your body, and tracking exercise for fitness. MFP isn't just about losing weight, it's about fitness.... and phentermine is not healthy.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options
    My photo profile doesn't say say no to drugs, it is a picture of my face.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You're are at MFP - My Fitness Pal.

Interesting that your profile photo is "say no to drugs".

My suggestion? Scrap the phentermine (too many dangerous side effects) and eat a balanced diet at a reasonable deficit with the goal being to lose at a healthy rate of 1-2 pounds a week.

um...the OP's profile doesnt say no to drugs..

that's my profile...and I am telling the OP that what she is taking is not good to take...maybe short-term..but that's about it.
  • Tahitidreamz
    Options
    I used to be on Phentermine years ago. After the first two weeks I stopped losing weight. That energy buzz died. And then I went from half pills to a full one 2x a day. It worked for a little bit then everything stopped as it did in the beginning.. Then I started doing 2 pills in morning and a half at night... See the issue? It's only good for short term and some people, not all do become dependent. Not so much on the drug but what and HOW it makes you feel in the beginning.

I am happy to say I recognized what I was doing, and now I just revamped everything. Colon cleanse once a month. Pretty much limited a lot of junk processed foods...processed sugars... I do what works for me.. Vegetarian, Vegan and certain fish with high oil concentrations and high protein... And working out.. Please be careful when taking any medication for weight loss. I was bouncing off the walls literally in the beginning. High heart rate, Insomnia. I was at the gym for HOURS with so much energy I couldn't tell if I was tired, needed a break etc etc. It was such a high.. then the crash.

PS. I was also doing B12 shots every week..yeah they sold me the goods and I bought it. Good luck to you..Rooting for you on this journey!
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options
    My doctor suggested the phentermine and said I was overweight for my height. I weighed 167 and am 5 foot 7. I got to a point where I was eating all the time, even just because I was bored, then eventually I got used to it and was hungry all the time, even after eating a meal. The phentermine has curbed my appetite. I guess I will force myself to eat more. I am eating very healthy. I am not excercising because I have an issue with energy. I had this problem for a couple of years. My doctors don't know what is wrong, I am low on iron, so I take a supplement, and I've tried vitamins. I barely have enough energy to do normal everyday things without getting exhausted.