Taking Phentermine, eating 1200 calories, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your doctor suggested phentermine because you're MAYBE 40 lbs overweight?! I'd guess it's more like 20 or 25.....get a new doctor! There is no miracle weight loss drug. Calories in calories out. End of story

We do not know the details of why the doctor suggested Phentermine....

It's usually prescribed to patients who have a medical reason to lose the weight.

Based on what she said, the doctor said she had gained too much weight and as a result, prescribed phentermine. Also, based on what she said, she weighs 167 lbs and is 5'7." That puts her at a bmi of 26.2 which is barely overweight. Her doctor sounds like a quack

Yes...I agree...(BASED) on what she said....

but at the same time...Some people come here with questions...and leave out personal info that they feel is too private to tell on here...

I am not saying the OP is doing this...but it could be possible that there was an underline reason the doctor wanted her to lose the weight..and it could be related to a medical condition.

I personally think that 5'7 at 167lbs does not warrant pills and such...but we never know what's behind all of that.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Do you have depression? It could have caused the weight gain and explain the lack of energy. 167 at 5'7 isn't really big. Your BARLEY in the overweight category. I think your doctor just likes to push pills. You do need to eat more, you will have even less energy eating under 1200 a day.
    From Lisa`s profile we do not know what country she is in?

If she is in the UK then pills are very expensive and a doctor here would not push them as they would not fit in with his/her budget.

As I said before, if Lisa is being prescribed pills by a doctor, then it really is her choice to seek other medical advice and not have people on MFP advise her when we do not know her medical history.

It`s a whole can of worms, to advise people to take/not take medication.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I meant I don't do any excercise that takes effort. I do walk. I don't work, so sometimes I go to the mall and walk for an hour or so.Now that it's getting cooler, I will go to the park instead of the mall.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I didn't go looking for a pill to fix my weight problem, I just want to make that clear. My doctor suggested I take it because he said I had gained too much weight.

Get a new doctor.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Your doctor suggested phentermine because you're MAYBE 40 lbs overweight?! I'd guess it's more like 20 or 25.....get a new doctor! There is no miracle weight loss drug. Calories in calories out. End of story

It's usually prescribed to patients who have a medical reason to lose the weight.

Based on what she said, the doctor said she had gained too much weight and as a result, prescribed phentermine. Also, based on what she said, she weighs 167 lbs and is 5'7." That puts her at a bmi of 26.2 which is barely overweight. Her doctor sounds like a quack

but at the same time...Some people come here with questions...and leave out personal info that they feel is too private to tell on here...

I am not saying the OP is doing this...but it could be possible that there was an underline reason the doctor wanted her to lose the weight..and it could be related to a medical condition.

I personally think that 5'7 at 167lbs does not warrant pills and such...but we never know what's behind all of that.

for the sake of OP and for the sake of all of her doc's other patients, I hope she is leaving out details. Because at face value, phentermine seems like a hysterical reaction to a small weight problem
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was a drug, I thought it was something like taking your weight and height and calculating your BMI.

Something you'll see a lot around here BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you stayed in bed all day

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including) exercise

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

MFP gave you 1200 NET (that means you eat any exercise calories back) AND those 1200 calories were based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." 1200 maybe lower than your BMR..... run the numbers here and see what you get.....I bet you're not eating enough.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and take medication for that.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh hon. Let me start off by saying that what you decide to do with your body is your choice entirely. If you feel that phentermine will help you, you should continue to take it under the supervision of a doctor. Also: I am not a doctor (though I do work in medicine).

OK. That said, I am very leery of your doctor's decisions in this case. Phentermine is a medication, and like all medications, it carries the risk of side effects. The NIH recommends that pharmacotherapy (weight loss drugs) only be used in patients with a BMI over 30, or in patients with a BMI over 27 who have 2 or more additional health risks (two or more of: high blood pressure, bad cholesterol/lipid counts, coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and/or sleep apnea) and THEN it should only be used after someone's tried to lose weight through diet, exercise, and behavioral changes for six months. (ref: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/e_txtbk/txgd/4325.htm) From what information you've given us, it doesn't sound like your doctor is following those guidelines at all.

The other thing I'm particularly concerned about is that you seem to have an undiagnosed illness that's leading to low energy, among other things. I'm worried about the possible effects of a new medication on this illness. Could it make it worse? I don't know, and I'm not sure anyone does, because we don't know what the illness is yet. It's also very possible that this illness is contributing to your weight gain (modest as it is).

In conclusion: I would strongly encourage you to consult another doctor. People have mentioned depression, anemia, and thyroid issues as possible causes, and they might be right. (I had very low energy related to iron-deficiency anemia for a while. The cure is a cheap iron tablet every day. Works like magic!) Look for one that specializes in chronic fatigue, perhaps- you may not have chronic fatigue syndrome, but a doctor specializing in that area should be experienced in treating symptoms like yours and may be able to better lead you to a diagnosis.

Best of luck!
  • Jannah1208
    Options
    THANK YOU!

I went to that site suggested and saw my caloric intake should be 1412. I was at 1290 . I was okay the first couple days but had some bouts of low sugar over the weekend and today. Thanks again!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    is-this-real-life.gif
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

for the sake of OP and for the sake of all of her doc's other patients, I hope she is leaving out details. Because at face value, phentermine seems like a hysterical reaction to a small weight problem

For sure...which is why it best to leave Lisa`s problems to a medically qualified person to help with medication...ie her doctor
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

ooh boy. Is your doctor aware of all the drugs you're on, and possible interactions? Phentermine can (rarely) trigger psychotic episodes when it interacts with some psych drugs.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

SEE!
    Adipex a form of Phentermine is used to Treat Bi-Polar Disorder

And I have dated a girl who is Bi-Polar...

She damn near killed me with a butcher knife...She almost lost her son to that disorder.

So, I hope that works for you OP
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't excercise at all. I can't. I have had a problem with lack of energy for a couple of years now.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like an excuse. You can walk, right? Walk around the block.
    I find I have more energy BECAUSE I exercise.
    Not trying to sound mean or anything, it just sounds like an excuse to me. If 400 lbs people can swim or walk, you can at least walk around the block.

...that's really not fair. Energy (or lack of it) doesn't always have to do with your current weight. If the OP truly feels tired and has no energy, it could be the signs of another problem that has yet to be diagnosed.
    I know 350 lb people who can walk circles around people half their size, but I also know 150 lb people who are sloths....

Get a new doctor, or at least a second opinion.

The thing about sluggishness and low energy is that you CAN still exercise, it's just more difficult to get one to do it. OP is not missing limbs or dying (both of which, people still bring themselves to exercise).

Did you doctor say NOT to exercise? With cortisol issues, you lack energy and also are limited to no intense exercise... but as OP hasn't mentioned that particular illness, I'm guessing "I can't" really means "It's not worth it for me to push through."
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Solve the riddle, and the troll shall let you pass.

=^x^=
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Drop the phentermine and just do it cold turkey. Trust me. I rode the phentermine train many times and you always gain it back because when you stop taking it your brain tells your body that you are constantly hungry. So you eat back everything you lost. Its a viscious cycle. Just eat your 1200 and kick a** in the gym. Much easier.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't excercise at all. I can't. I have had a problem with lack of energy for a couple of years now.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like an excuse. You can walk, right? Walk around the block.
    I find I have more energy BECAUSE I exercise.
    Not trying to sound mean or anything, it just sounds like an excuse to me. If 400 lbs people can swim or walk, you can at least walk around the block.

...that's really not fair. Energy (or lack of it) doesn't always have to do with your current weight. If the OP truly feels tired and has no energy, it could be the signs of another problem that has yet to be diagnosed.
    I know 350 lb people who can walk circles around people half their size, but I also know 150 lb people who are sloths....

Get a new doctor, or at least a second opinion.

This!^

Tired all the time? ...... Something more is going on.
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1200 cals are you joking, only thinking i will say is 1200 is way to low no wonder why your not losing weight and get another doctor and one that's not willing to put you on tablets, what an excuse for a doctor taking the easy way out.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Stop taking phentermine. Exercise. Eat clean. Focus on how your clothes feel. You shouldn't be losing anymore than 1-2 pounds a week if you want to be consistent and not gain back more than you lost.

This!!! Do it the healthy way! Rapid weight loss through severe calorie deficit and drugs is not sustainable and you will most likely gain it all back and then some. Take your time, eat healthy, practice portion control and exercise.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

For sure...which is why it best to leave Lisa`s problems to a medically qualified person to help with medication...ie her doctor

Absolutely, a doctor is the only person qualified to prescribe medication and/or to determine if a patient should stop taking something. But I think seeking a second opinion can't hurt. Not every doctor makes the right decision with regard to every patient.