100 grams of Chicken Breast - A poll

Options
I am just wondering if anyone else is amazed how much chicken breast you get in 100 gram (3.5 oz approxiamte) serving. That was our protein last night and my husband (who is a big guy) could barely get it all down. I think he thought I was doubling portions on him. I showed him (using a pre-portioned snack item) that in fact the food scale was bang on.

He also told me all he feel like he does lately is eat - as I am always giving him more food to meet his calorie goals. Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My sister was astounded at what I ate on Friday....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

between 4 egg whites and 1 yolk, 5 slices of ham with cheese on toast and milk (breakfast) she was like WHAT?????

If you choose wisely it is amazing how much you can actually eat....I am Lovin' it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah 100g of chicken is a pretty big portion, and it's low calories too (well, the breast)! I have it all the time...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3.5 oz of chicken breast?

am I reading that wrong? that's not even a a whole chicken breast.

I could eat 3 chicken breasts in one sitting. I'm so confused. ( i don't- I just switched to maintenance at 1700... I'm just saying- I could easily do it- I did it on Friday- 4 1/2 breasts- 3-4 cups of roast beast- 2 big cups of veggies and 2 big cups of salad... and 3 small slices of cake- and even then- it was like 3000 calories)

All my proportioned food is 5 oz of chicken and 5 oz of veggies- it fills a container that is labelled as 2.1 cups or 500 mL... and people scoff at the pathetic amount of food it is.

5 oz of chicken breast is nothing... seriously I'm Really confused- unless that was supposed to be 35 oz- in which case that's a **** ton of chicken.

I have found too- that if you hare having a hard time getting it in- you need to switch to other sources- like ice cream. or beer. :D I add protein powder to my ice cream or yogurt or milk to up the protein- and average calories. More food isn't always the answer- sometimes just high calorie food is.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    100g is a pretty normal portion in my house. They only come in 500g packages or less where I live, and I have to feed a family of five, so...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    5 oz of chicken breast is nothing... seriously I'm Really confused- unless that was supposed to be 35 oz- in which case that's a **** ton of chicken.

Yep. This is a confusing topic. If it's really dry and plain, I can see how it'd be difficult to choke down. But a large (or small) man should have no issues at all with less than 4 oz of chicken.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

What do you consider "prepared in a healthy way"?

100 g of chicken seems like an average serving for me (a 5'5" slightly older woman). My husband always eats way more than that per meal and he's a pretty average sized guy.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I try to eat atleast 8oz of chicken breast when eating, low calorie and perfect way to increase my protein. I prepare mine on my George Forman grill.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    :noway: I will go through a 1/2 a chicken and still not be full
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    3.5 oz is a pretty small serving of chicken breast...

Are you sure you're measuring correctly? I had a hearty serving earlier (9.5oz) of chicken breast and though it was very filling, it was nowhere near difficult to choke down. (My average servings are 5 or 6oz.)

I do agree that "healthily prepared" foods are a lot more satisfying per serving than their processed food counterparts.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 3-8 oz of chicken, depending on what I'm having. If I'm having a quesadilla, I usually only have about 3-4 oz (half of a breast). But if I'm having the chicken on its own or as nuggets I'll have a 7-8 oz breast.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone else is amazed how much chicken breast you get in 100 gram (3.5 oz approxiamte) serving. That was our protein last night and my husband (who is a big guy) could barely get it all down. I think he thought I was doubling portions on him. I showed him (using a pre-portioned snack item) that in fact the food scale was bang on.

He also told me all he feel like he does lately is eat - as I am always giving him more food to meet his calorie goals. Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

My standard chicken portion is 220 grams (With a veggie and rice/pasta/potato and maybe bread to go with). 100 grams would make me kinda sad inside
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I can easily eat 4 oz of grilled chicken with vegies and salad!!
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    Options
    that seems like a tiny amount of chicken, considering I can take down about 900 grams a day without a problem at all, and that's just the chicken. pile veggies on top of that and it still leaves me hungry.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ummm you're not using the calories for raw chicken breast and then 'weighing' your serving cooked, are you? Cos, especially depending on how you cook it, 100g raw is bugger all once cooked and 100g cooked dry would have been a lot more raw.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If your "big guy" of a husband was having a hard time choking down 3.5 oz of chicken, then I'm going to assume you're measuring it wrong. I can blink at 3.5 oz of chicken and it'll be gone.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    100 g is a generous but not overly large serving for me, so long it's cooked. If I'm weighing it raw I want a full 4 oz or 112 g, minimum. I try to stick with standard servings of most things but often go over on chicken by an oz or 2 to get the protein.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree, 100g of chicken is not a huuuuge amount :D
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I weigh it cooked and it was part of a larger meal. But we eat about 6 smaller meals a day.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Ummm you're not using the calories for raw chicken breast and then 'weighing' your serving cooked, are you? Cos, especially depending on how you cook it, 100g raw is bugger all once cooked and 100g cooked dry would have been a lot more raw.

My thoughts exactly. I usually have 200g raw weight chicken breast, and could eat more, but its just too expensive!