I just cant do the last 10lbs

Options
I cannot eat at 1,350 calories any longer. ( half a lb a week )
And with 10lbs left, my goal will only drop as I lose more.

I seriously have no self control and just cannot stay under.
I havent lost a pound in months because I keep eating at maintenance basically with how over I am.
I crave high calorie foods and low calorie foods dont make me full. UGH.

How do you guys do it?

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try an experiment. Take a break and eat at maintenance and do whatever exercise you love every week. It says in your profile that you like hiking with your dog and hiking is a great way to burn calories. A lot of people advocate for weight training to help dislodge those stubborn last pounds (but I can't speak from experience there).

When you feel up to it, come back and try cutting back again. As long a you don't go over, you won't gain and that is still a victory.

The foods that help me feel full are high in protein and fiber.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I hike every day, so thats not an issue :)
    I definitely was thinking of doing weights, but I get so bored and droned out when I try them.
    ( And lets me honest, I hate being sore... haha )

I eat a lot of protein bars, egg whites, and the like - but I feel like I havent even eaten anything after.
    What alternatives should I try?
  • Makoce
    Options
    Bumping this just because.
    I took a 2 week break and it felt nice, but I still am having problems eating little.
    ( Though, I did lose a pound eating at maintenance? Haha )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Bumping this just because.
    I took a 2 week break and it felt nice, but I still am having problems eating little.
    ( Though, I did lose a pound eating at maintenance? Haha )
    Keep eating at maintenance! And try to eat foods you enjoy eating.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Unsure if Ill get lucky twice!
    I was hoping to lose at least 2 more lbs before my birthday (Oct. 10 )

Only thing I can think of is to exercise like crazy so I have a lot of calories to eat.
    My gym membership ends in December and I dont think ill be renewing it.
    So maybe in the meantime if I can get to goal weight before then, Ill be good!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I can so relate.....I have been 3 pounds from my goal for about 3 months. It should not be that difficult for me. It is like I am sabotaging myself.

No advice from me but grateful you started this post.

Shirley in Oregon
  • Makoce
    Options
    Self sabotage is my game as well, Shirley! Haha.
    Hopefully well get some help from people who have been through it :and won :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Generally the "last" few lbs are always the hardest. Most people have what is referred to as a body fat set point. To sum up, this is the percentage of body fat that your body does does not really want to get past. For example, if you are currently 25% bf and have been stuck here because you find it very difficult to eat lower than 1500 calories then this may be your body fat set point (for now). It takes a bit of knowledge, experience, trial and error to get past it.

It is explained very well in this video by Eric Helms, an all round walking encyclopaedia on nutrition and fitness for body composition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmir2s4GUgo

One method you could use is called a diet break. Full details of how to use it are here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

As well as a refeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDPpc1Yazs
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the method proposed by fat2fitradio? I think this is a great method when you just want to lose those last lbs. Actually I think it's great no matter what. When I started here I just wanted to lose 8 lbs. With this method I'm down 12 (in 4 months). It's easy, it's maintainable, you don't starve, you just lose a little slower. IMO, there's no reason to maintain such a big deficit. Especially if you're struggling.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can!

You only need a small deficit to lose! Try TDEE-5% or set the MFP thing to 0.5lb. It'll give you more calories, which you'll be able to stick to. I'm losing on 1,700.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OP, I have the SAME problem! I lost 40 pounds then just really lost the imperative to lose the last 10 pounds. I have myself set at 1/2 pound per week - but go over most days. So I am really at maintenance. The good news is that I'm not gaining!

The problem with me is that I am content at this weight. I shouldn't be because I still have a gut - but I look fine in clothes. Hopefully, my motivation will pick up. Or the pounds will magically drop off (HA HA).
  • Makoce
    Options
    Yeah you can!

You only need a small deficit to lose! Try TDEE-5% or set the MFP thing to 0.5lb. It'll give you more calories, which you'll be able to stick to. I'm losing on 1,700.

Hope this helps :smile:

MFP is set at .5lb and that's where the 1350 came from on sedentary. ( I log all exercise )

And Cam, unfortunately Im not happy at this weight :(
    I still have a huge muffin top in clothes. The rest I dont mind, like my huge butt and thighs, but I just want the stomach to go.