Grain free, dairy free, egg free breakfast ideas?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about working with a registered dietitian for ideas on his food intake and such?
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What does the doctor say?
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Not sure if it was mentioned - but Almond milk. I am gluten intolerant and I know I can eat chex, so usually a bowl of Chex and almond milk. Sometimes if I need more protein I have a vegan protein powder I use, mix it with the almond milk in a blender, and pour it over my cereal.

Garden of Life is the raw vegan protein - they make chocolate, vanilla, original, and vanilla chai (like a light cinnamon).

Hope you find some good answers!
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I recently went gluten and dairy free (or close to) by choice and have been finding more and more options at the health food store, I just have to be more mindful of labels.

For example, there is a brand called GlutenFreeda, and I buy their instant oatmeal for breakfast that I mix with either almond milk or water. I also use their granola to sprink over my greek yogurt. I also started incorporating more smoothies for breakfast, which opens up lots of opens flavor wise. Gluten-free protein powders are tough to come by, but I use one made by Melaleuca.

What seemed to help me in the beginning, because initially I felt so limited, was to jot down a list of my dos and donts, my can and cant haves. Once I compiled a list, it was easier to mix and match ingredients to make meals.

Hope this helps. His allergy is a blessing in disguise. I've felt amazing since cutting out those items, but I cant lie when I say I dont crave my 'dont' foods. If I were forced to omit these items, I'd have so much more energy!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I make omelets with egg beaters and egg whites.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Has to be egg-free :(
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Onceamonthmeals.com has lots of gluten dairy free recipes.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions. Thanks!
    Rice porridge is a great idea he would definitely eat it, especially at the winter time, which is 8 months long around he.
    The problem with the gluten free ready to eat food from the store that most have eggs and gluten free grains that have gliadin. I buy some rice crackers from a local gluten free bakery, but they cost a fortune. It is not really suistanable to have something like that as a staple in his diet. I rather would come up something I can make myself in bulk and freeze it.

So far I managed to make one breakfast "cookie" made from coconut flour, nuts , and fruits. Other days I just give him breakfast sausage by itself with some fruits.
    I tried bacon, but he ended up crying because he could not have eggs with it like the rest of the family. He is not even 5 years old, and have a hard time to understand / accept that he can not eat what others do. To make it transition easier, we try not to eat thing that he can not have , at least not in front of him.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I recently went gluten and dairy free (or close to) by choice and have been finding more and more options at the health food store, I just have to be more mindful of labels.

For example, there is a brand called GlutenFreeda, and I buy their instant oatmeal for breakfast that I mix with either almond milk or water. I also use their granola to sprink over my greek yogurt. I also started incorporating more smoothies for breakfast, which opens up lots of opens flavor wise. Gluten-free protein powders are tough to come by, but I use one made by Melaleuca.

What seemed to help me in the beginning, because initially I felt so limited, was to jot down a list of my dos and donts, my can and cant haves. Once I compiled a list, it was easier to mix and match ingredients to make meals.

Hope this helps. His allergy is a blessing in disguise. I've felt amazing since cutting out those items, but I cant lie when I say I dont crave my 'dont' foods. If I were forced to omit these items, I'd have so much more energy!
    I also went grain free and limited dairy by choice along with him a while ago and I feel great and would not go back.. The egg free part is killing me though. When we cut out the grains last year, the egg types of breakfasts became our staple. Now that eggs are out too , I am totally lost.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Not sure if it was mentioned - but Almond milk. I am gluten intolerant and I know I can eat chex, so usually a bowl of Chex and almond milk. Sometimes if I need more protein I have a vegan protein powder I use, mix it with the almond milk in a blender, and pour it over my cereal.

Garden of Life is the raw vegan protein - they make chocolate, vanilla, original, and vanilla chai (like a light cinnamon).

Hope you find some good answers!

almond milk is wonderful. so happy I found it. I drink it everyday.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    There is a product called Peanut Flour-Protein Plus. I am in love with it. you would probably have to order it online such as as through amazon...but it can be used to bake with or make into a peanut butter paste...used in smoothies. etc...
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I desperately need some breakfast ideas for my kiddo that are grain free, dairy free and egg free. We were aware of his gluten intolarene for a while, and i learnt to bake all kinds of gluten free stuff, but his full panel food intolerance come back and i am kind of clueless what to give him to eat from now on. Beside gluten he is highly sensitive to gliadin , which is a protein present most gluten free grains. The only grain he can eat is rice and corn.
    Beside the gluten and gliadin, he is also highly sensitive to eggs both the white and the yolk, which makes me absolutely clueless. Plus citrus fruit , just to make life even harder. Sigh. He also mildly sensitive to whey, so milk is out too, but he can have some limited amount of hard cheese and Greek yogurt. His dr said if we cut out all the problematic food, his gut may heal and later on we may able to introduce back some of these. In any case right now, I need deal with this limited choices.

I am ok with the dinner, and I pack dinner leftover for lunch for school. However I totally lost when it comes to breakfast. Does anybody have some ideas? Recipes?
    As most families, we have hectic morning when I have to pack lunch/ snack for 4 people, and make breakfast, drive 2 kids to 2 different places etc. I need breakfast ideas that can be made ahead of time, or very fast.
    I am kind of desperate here.

Poor little fellow. you could bake your own hash browns to throw in the toaster. I'm thinking potatoes in all their forms. When we were kids we would eat refried mashed potatoes with tomato sauce for breakfast when we could. Boiled potatoes cut up and fried in butter were the ultimate favourite.

Also: check cornflakes... what's the result for corn products? did he escape that? Cornflakes with banana and apple juice is very nice - in fact cornflakes with apple juice is VERY nice. People usually think they should only have them with milk.

Lunch: potato salad, chicken breast. Or potato and cashew nut salad with chicken in it. Oh yes....

Cornbread, falafel (Chick pea patties, fried in oil.) daal (lentils), refried beans,

bean salad?
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    fruit salad + soy yogurt.

sooo yummmyyyyyyy
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    potatoes + onion + favorite veggies cooked in some olive/coconut oil. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also

if you have lunch and dinner covered- feed him that for breakfast.

I know LOTS of people who eat left overs for breakfast (me included)
  • breanazank
    Options

Has to be egg-free :(

How do you feel about soy? Tofu, veggies, and potato hash-scramble are very yummy!
  • breanazank
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions. Thanks!
    Rice porridge is a great idea he would definitely eat it, especially at the winter time, which is 8 months long around he.
    The problem with the gluten free ready to eat food from the store that most have eggs and gluten free grains that have gliadin. I buy some rice crackers from a local gluten free bakery, but they cost a fortune. It is not really suistanable to have something like that as a staple in his diet. I rather would come up something I can make myself in bulk and freeze it.

So far I managed to make one breakfast "cookie" made from coconut flour, nuts , and fruits. Other days I just give him breakfast sausage by itself with some fruits.
    I tried bacon, but he ended up crying because he could not have eggs with it like the rest of the family. He is not even 5 years old, and have a hard time to understand / accept that he can not eat what others do. To make it transition easier, we try not to eat thing that he can not have , at least not in front of him.

With baking, use banana or flax-egg to bind the flours together. Almond meal is such a great substitute for muffins/pancakes. You can make sweet potato pancakes and mix in almond meal. Just google recipes online!
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    also

if you have lunch and dinner covered- feed him that for breakfast.

I know LOTS of people who eat left overs for breakfast (me included)
    I know. This is an excellent idea. I started to do that myself a while ago and it really opened up my choices.
    I do this for my son sometimes like yesterday he ate coconut shrimp with rice for breakfast. :)
    The problem is variety. I cook only one dish for dinner and he gets the same into his lunchbox the next day. Giving the exact same for breakfast is boring.
  • Trinalynnes
    Options
    Shakes with fruit and soy milk or scrambled eggs with egg substitute?
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed and hot water make a great cereal. Add in Banana or other fruit.

Greek Yoghurt with crushed ricecakes for crunch.

Ricecakes with grass-fed beef patty on top.

Corn tortilla with meat and a dash of Greek yoghurt and sauteed veggies wrapped up.

Corn muffin topped with sausage (be sure it is gluten free) and gravy (gravy made from sausage drippings, almond milk and corn starch). A gluten free version of biscuits and gravy...