how to have a fat free, low calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Um. Fat is part of good nutrition. Why are you trying to eliminate it?

^^ This

As long as you focus on good fats that come from nuts, avocados, fish, olive oil, etc you do not need to eliminate fat. Eliminating fat is a 1980's philosophy that has long since been dis-proven. Ironically when they were telling us to cut fat they had no evidence to back up the claim. Just goes to show that the idiots in charge have no clue either.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me to cut out all fat as I have gallstones.

Might want to get a second opinion from a younger doctor that has current research in hand.

My doctor told me to only eat 2 eggs a week or less because of cholesterol. Turns out he was wrong, I eat about 18 eggs a week and 'shockingly' (/sarcasm) my cholesterol has improved. Doctors do not stay up on current research, they have to keep learning just like anyone else. Never trust the opinion of just one doctor.
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    Hi Spittingpink,

I must first, re-emphasize the comments of others here. It is not only ill advised, but dangerous to remove ALL fat from your diet. To be honest, I am not sure that would be at all possible anyway. If it were, it would be extremely difficult and would almost certainly not give you the nutritional requirements you body demands.

I have a swollen Liver and NASH. (Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis) Last year I was told to drastically reduce my diet of fat and sugar (I am also diabetic) or I would be dead in 6 months. I was referred to a dietician who has now only taken more than 25% off my body weight in 5 months, but taught me how to eat properly and what I should and should not be eating. It has been a REAL uphill struggle and we have experimented a little along the way. One thing that was constantly re-itterated though was not to cut out all the fat, just control the level of bad fats, that could push up your cholesterol for example). My diet was restricted to 7grammes of Saturated fat and 24 of other fats, (About 0.246918 oz and 0.846575 oz respectively). A year on, the levels are now a little higher (30kg lighters) but they are still tight. The trick is to eat more fish type food (Tuna is very low in fat and the fats it does contain are considered good) and cut out the takeaways. They use something called Triglyceride, which are a major problem for the body and also adversely affect your cholesterol. Nuts also contain the good fats, but some of them also contain high levels of fat and also saturated fats, so eat these very cautiously. Chick pea is a good source of lots of different things, but also high in fats, so watch the amount of these two. To to avoid getting your fats from Eggs, although everything in moderation should be ok. Work out a plan, that works for you and stick to it. You are welcome to view my diary for a few ideas. :) It may not be exactly what you want and, for god sake do not try the hot dog (That will haunt me forever LOL) and make sure you include EVERYTHING. I got quite a few surprises when I first started. Still do (E.g hot dog) now and then. :)

Best of luck and drop me a line if I can help further.

Wheelie aka Mike.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    FFS healthy fats do not cause gallstones. Nor do healthy fats cause excess cholesterol in our body. Please, please see a new doctor. As mentioned repeatedly already, most doctors know *kitten* about nutrition. I would argue they know nothing at all about health. Just what drugs are used for what symptoms.

Fat is a necessary macro and in fact it is THE most important macro. 30% as set by MFP default is already too low and you are aiming for less? Please don't. Lots of health problems result from a diet too low in healthy fats and most of us are very familiar with them (depression, anxiety, etc), and I'm talking natural saturated fats. Oh yes I am.

PS. Do try to keep your gallbladder if possible. Just because doctors don't fully understand it's function doesn't mean it's "unnecessary". There are dietary changes that would help but eliminating all fat is not one.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure OP's doctor meant all EXTRA fats. At least I hope so! Why the heck would you want to cut all fat? It would be extremely dangerous to even try! OP, please read this article.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/429462-are-there-any-side-effects-to-a-no-fat-diet/

And please be kind to yourself!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    your doctor is an idiot then. You can keep fats at a GOOD rate, without going overboard, but fat is needed for your organs to work properly.

do some research, show it to the doctor, and tell him to bug off and find a new doctor.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    im sure there may be more to it...
  • Bekarington
    Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ive got another appointment with another doctor. Not sure if I feel a bit like a paranoid nutbag though!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ive got another appointment with another doctor. Not sure if I feel a bit like a paranoid nutbag though!

Just discuss your concerns with your doctor. Don't let him/her rush you. Doctors are people, very busy people usually. Sometimes you have to push a little to get them to slow down and discuss your options. But you (or your insurance provider, or govt) are paying them to care for you. Get your money's worth. Once they are aware that you have concerns and want to know more most doctors will explain their reasoning and work on a solution that makes you comfortable.

Because they are people, there are naturally going to be doctors who are complete a**wipes. But most are not. Most are highly trained professionals who are not idiots. Let them do their job, but make sure they know your goals as well as theirs.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Your body's vitamins need fat to make them work in your body.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Just discuss your concerns with your doctor. Don't let him/her rush you. Doctors are people, very busy people usually. Sometimes you have to push a little to get them to slow down and discuss your options. But you (or your insurance provider, or govt) are paying them to care for you. Get your money's worth. Once they are aware that you have concerns and want to know more most doctors will explain their reasoning and work on a solution that makes you comfortable.

Because they are people, there are naturally going to be doctors who are complete a**wipes. But most are not. Most are highly trained professionals who are not idiots. Let them do their job, but make sure they know your goals as well as theirs.
    Or ask the nurse for a better explanation. They are also there to help tell you what to do.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are you a troll? Everything you say seems to have troll undertones.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist. Your dr doesnt even know what RDA is. Red flag!

This! When I saw this comment I about fell out of my chair. A doctor who is giving nutritional advice but doesn't know what nutrients you need is NOT a good doctor. Fats are absolutely a necessary part of a healthy diet. Get thee to a different doctor!
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As for the stones "not going anywhere" because of their size??? Yes they can, they can lodge in the duct, causing emergency surgery. Trust me, that was no fun and pain I will not forget.
    Please get another opinion, surgery now is so quick and easy that you will wonder why you ever waited.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm a nutritionist.

RDA's haven't been used for decades and I see no reason why a G.P. should have memorised the table in case someone asks for it when they've already managed to memorise an encyclopedic knowledge of health conditions, diseases, causes, complications, diagnosis, prognosis and referrals for the majority of the population.

I'd have to look it up.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Hi, I'm a nutritionist.

RDA's haven't been used for decades and I see no reason why a G.P. should have memorised the table in case someone asks for it when they've already managed to memorise an encyclopedic knowledge of health conditions, diseases, causes, complications, diagnosis, prognosis and referrals for the majority of the population.

I'd have to look it up.

BMI is also used, which is outdated. JS

There is plenty of old information circulating in the medical environment. it is not uncommon
  • DatMurse
    Options
    FFS healthy fats do not cause gallstones. Nor do healthy fats cause excess cholesterol in our body. Please, please see a new doctor. As mentioned repeatedly already, most doctors know *kitten* about nutrition. I would argue they know nothing at all about health. Just what drugs are used for what symptoms.

Fat is a necessary macro and in fact it is THE most important macro. 30% as set by MFP default is already too low and you are aiming for less? Please don't. Lots of health problems result from a diet too low in healthy fats and most of us are very familiar with them (depression, anxiety, etc), and I'm talking natural saturated fats. Oh yes I am.

PS. Do try to keep your gallbladder if possible. Just because doctors don't fully understand it's function doesn't mean it's "unnecessary". There are dietary changes that would help but eliminating all fat is not one.
    Fat in general is broken down by bile. So I dont know what you are talking about.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Here are some studies in regards to a proper diet for prevention and breaking down of gallstones

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9665682
    controlled study for obese patients. High fat vs low fat - both on a hypocaloric diet

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10903004
  • Bekarington
    Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Went for a second opinion and I feel much happier!

1. She advised that surgery is an option and its right to look into it, but that if I can manage them without attacks, then I don't have to have the surgery as around 1 in 10 people live with no-symptomatic gallstones everyday.

2. She said not to remove ALL fat from my diet, just to always take the lower fat options and eat a more balanced healthy diet, avoiding trigger foods such as fried foods, pizza and high fat dairy.

When I asked her about the RDA and if I should put a lower limit on my grams of fat, she said that everyone was different, so it was hard to put a figure on it, but that it was probably a case of trial and error for a bit til I learned what worked (unless my symptoms became more serious).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Glad you got a second opinion. can she refer to to a nutritionist so you can discuss proper eating and healthy weight loss while restricting fat intake? I think that would be your next step. I wouldn't want to go through surgery unless it was absolutely necessary. My best friends boyfriend only eats foods that have less then a certain percentage of fat, he never eats anything fried or anything cooked in oil. He has a gall bladder issue and never has a problem. But that does not meant it would work for you. He also went through a nutritionist when he was first diagnosed.