Why am I gaining weight?!

Options
I've been following my plan, working out 5 days a week, and eating the recommended amount of calories to lose one pound a week (sometimes I go a little over, but still I shouldn't be gaining!) I eat less and exercise more than I used to, but I still keep gaining weight. I know it's normal to gain muscle, but shouldn't my clothes be fitting better then? I'm getting so depressed and discouraged! I'm trying so hard. Maybe I just need to be more patient, but I'm getting worried. I've gained almost 20 lbs in the past year for no apparent reason and it keeps getting higher!

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think we could use a few more details if you would like some help. Age, height, current weight? Can you open your food diary so we can see what your diet looks like? What kind of workouts are you doing/ how long?
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    You probably are gaining muscle faster than losing fat. I would say for a little while only eat half of your exercise calories.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    You have gained 20 pounds in an year without any reason? Have you seen the doctor?
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am 29, 5'6", and 168 lbs (last time I checked). I weighed 164 last week. And last year, I weighed 145 lbs. 4 years ago, I weighed 135 lbs. I'd like to get back to that. I just set my diaries to public. I used to work out every morning when I worked later hours at my job. That was when I weighed 135. The past few years, I work earlier hours, so it's harder for me to wake up earlier to work out. So the past couple years, I haven't worked out as much at all. I guess that could explain it. So I joined Lifetime a couple months ago and started working out at lunchtime and started myfitnesspal a little over a month ago. Thought I'd start losing weight by now, but I've been gaining more! :(
  • austinusn
    Options
    Hi -- Agreed if you can display your food diary, that would help.

Also, I was having the same issues as you were -- exercising, watching calories, etc. Have you checked to see how much sugar you're taking in? This was my culprit and once I started watching that as well, the weight started coming off. I had no idea how much sugar I was taking in (even from fruits) and as a result, sabotaging my system by producing too much insulin, storage of fat, etc.

Everyone is different of course but for me, cutting sugar made the difference.

Good luck :)
  • emotama
    Options
    the scales haven't changed much for me, but i did 1080 rep with 40 lbs weights last week, my body is changing and i'm getting into the habit of exericsing which for me was a cuss word. patience is key, cooking myself for the week is crucial, there are soo many hidden calories in any take out food. i eat most of my calories in the day, here is a motto that helps; eat like a king in the morning, a prince in the afternoon and a pauper in the evening. stay strong and you will see results.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You may need to measure your waist, thighs, arms, and neck to see your results instead of the scale. Or you may need to see your dr. Hypothyroid could be a possibiliy, google the symptoms, if you think that could be it go to your dr and ask for a test. If not, you may still want to talk to your dr to see if he/she can help you out. Good luck.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I splurged on wine and chocolate over the weekend. But could I really have gained 5 lbs from that??
  • marmite230
    Options
    What calorie allowance do you have daily and are you eating a lot of carbs?
    Remember, everyone is different. It could be that you are prone to weight gain or just that your eating pattern is wrong for you.
    It took me a long time to take on board all the different advice and then tailor it to a program that suited me.

Post a typical daily calorie intake along side a typical workout.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i'm with the the other commenter...have you seen a doctor for your annual and a good physical/blood work? ya never know and want to make sure that everything is functioning properly.

after seeing, i have a few suggestions:

do cardio and strength training. one without the other does not get you to a healthier lifestyle. change your workout every 6 weeks. your body will get used to the same movements and not have the same calorie burn. muscle confusion is GREAT for getting calorie burn.

your fruit intake is pretty good. i would increase your veggies. i was amazed when i started eating on the "perimeter of the grocery store" how much healthier i felt. i have all but eliminating eating HFCS, and things like crackers and other processed foods....no matter what the calorie count is and how they fit into my day. the more color i eat, the easier it is for my body to lose weight.

i attempt to burn 400 calories a day in my exercising. that allows me to add 200 calories to my 1200....giving me 200 of burned calories.

eat bulkyfoods...raw carrots, steamed broccoli to help you feel fuller.

send me a friend request and i will cheer you on. and don't forget...see the doctor if you haven't been for awhile.
    Jane
  • waterbug420
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you go over your sugar allowance on most days. Maybe cut back the sugar and see what happens?
  • emotama
    Options
    there are a 100 calories in each glass of wine, that's basic wine, no added sprite or anything.
    are you holding water?