TDEE and BMR? HELP! Confused and discouraged

Options
Btw I weight 175 lbs
MFP is telling me to eat like 1,290 calories a day (when I exercise I'm supposed to eat 1,400-1,500 and I end up netting like 1100-1300)
But all the BMR calculators say I need to net eat like 1,500 calories (TDEE says to maintain apparently I need to eat like 2,500 a day)
So... is this okay? Like, I'm so confused. And it's SO hard for me to even eat up to 1,200 calories...how am I even supposed to adjust that on MFP? Does the fat/protein/carbs adjust with it or...?

I exercise every day since I started for the past 10 days (it was 1 mile then 2 and now Im up to 3 miles day).
Struggling with this and trying not to get discouraged and stay strong.

:(

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are doing MFP method then you want to net whatever it is your goal is set to ...so if MFP says eat 1500 a day and you exercise and burn off an additional 200 then you would eat 1700 for that day fora net of 1500 (1700-200=1500)

If you are doing TDEE method, then you would figure out your TDEE and cut x percent from that number. Most people do about a 20 to 25% cut and then go from there...

so pick a method and stick with it for about six weeks and see if you start losing ..you will need to adjust accordingly as the weight comes off.

And remember online calculators are just that; calculators that give you an estimate of how many calories you need to eat.

The best way is to weight yourself every day to see how you are progressing..or at least three times a week and take an average...
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What setting do you have on MFP? As in, what is the weight loss goal you are trying to achieve (2lbs/week, 1lb/week?) What is your height and how much weight are you trying to lose?

It is possible that 2lbs/week may be too aggressive--you might want to aim for 1.5lb or 1lb/week instead. Net at least your BMR. If you decide to eat TDEE-20% that is 2000.

You can adjust your calorie goals on your profile by setting it manually. Eat more calorie dense foods (nuts, peanut butter, avocado, greek yogurt that is no 0% fat, etc) and you will find it easy to eat all your calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    With TDEE there is no net. You eat the same calorie goal.

What weight loss per week did you choose for MFP and what activity level did you pick for TDEE? What is your activity like?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If TDEE suggests 1500 (with deficit) and MFP has you eating 1500 to net 1100-1300 you are at pretty much the same spot.
  • dragongummy
    dragongummy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    MFP is telling me to eat 1,290. So, just follow that? I'm just trying not to under eat and be at a stand still.

And delyn356- I set it to 1.5 lbs a week and Im 5 foot 2 and trying to weigh 130 (Im 175 now). I think Im just confused to follow MFP or the BMR calculations
  • dragongummy
    Options
    I exercise every day about 3 miles (burning around 290 calories) and my job is at a salon at the front desk pretty much standing all day even though I do move around a bit sometimes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    MFP is telling me to eat 1,290. So, just follow that? I'm just trying not to under eat and be at a stand still.

And delyn356- I set it to 1.5 lbs a week and Im 5 foot 2 and trying to weigh 130 (Im 175 now). I think Im just confused to follow MFP or the BMR calculations

MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat that back. If you are burning around 290, you add that to the 1290 so you would eat 1580 which puts you pretty close to the TDEE suggestion.
  • dragongummy
    Options
    Oooooo ok ok so. Even though Im NETTING 1100-1300, I'm still EATING around 1,500 a day so it's all ok, right? Is that correct? (Sorry Im so calorie/intake stupid)
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day about 3 miles (burning around 290 calories) and my job is at a salon at the front desk pretty much standing all day even though I do move around a bit sometimes.

Try taking a day off to let your body rest. 3 miles is great! But, there's nothing wrong with letting your body rest every now and then. 1.5lbs is a lot have you thought about taking it slower and maybe on 1lb a week. Weight loss is better slow and steady, you want to change your lifestyle not have just a short fix.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Oooooo ok ok so. Even though Im NETTING 1100-1300, I'm still EATING around 1,500 a day so it's all ok, right? Is that correct? (Sorry Im so calorie/intake stupid)

Yes. Your "net" should be the same as you calorie goal. So your net should be 1290. On days you don't exercise you eat 1290. If you exercise and burn 400, you eat 1690 and net 1290.
    Net is calories eat - calories burned.
  • dragongummy
    Options
    Ohhhh. I see. Okay, wow I was totally wrong in what I was doing! I completely get it now. Oh meh gawd you guys are life savers. I WAS under eating. Thank you thank you!!!! <3<3<3