Need a replacement for comfort eating

Options
I am a comfort eater...when I don't feel well I reach for food. I overeat. Unfortunately I have some health issues that are flaring up (AGAIN). I know I shouldn't use these issues as an excuse, but I have gotten back into my old bad habits the past few weeks. The scale is starting to go back up and I am so frustrated with myself. I know I am eating too much of the wrong foods. I just can't seem to stop myself from saying yes to going out to eat with friends and family, ordering that pizza or take-out. I know it is wrong, but food takes my mind off from my pain, at least for a little while. I need to find something to replace food as comfort. Does anyone have any suggestions? My activity is restricted so the replacement can't be exercise related. Most of my hobbies are active- horseback riding, riding ATVs, playing with the dogs, etc. I hate not being able to be as active as I want to be. I have been doing a lot of reading, watching TV and movies and I even tried doing some drawing this evening. I used to be pretty good at drawing but apparently I am out of practice!

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am a comfort eater...when I don't feel well I reach for food. I overeat. Unfortunately I have some health issues that are flaring up (AGAIN). I know I shouldn't use these issues as an excuse, but I have gotten back into my old bad habits the past few weeks. The scale is starting to go back up and I am so frustrated with myself. I know I am eating too much of the wrong foods. I just can't seem to stop myself from saying yes to going out to eat with friends and family, ordering that pizza or take-out. I know it is wrong, but food takes my mind off from my pain, at least for a little while. I need to find something to replace food as comfort. Does anyone have any suggestions? My activity is restricted so the replacement can't be exercise related. Most of my hobbies are active- horseback riding, riding ATVs, playing with the dogs, etc. I hate not being able to be as active as I want to be. I have been doing a lot of reading, watching TV and movies and I even tried doing some drawing this evening. I used to be pretty good at drawing but apparently I am out of practice!

Your eye and hand will come back real fast. I'm returning to the piano after a few years away... terrible but improving quickly!

Knitting helps. Handicrafts. Because I'm creating there's a project, a success (reward, emotional high) and an activity. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    What about taking up crafting? Textile, paper, sugar, fashion, or functional.
  • My replacement for comfort eating is a small chihuahua...I don't eat it though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I take walks to deal with stress and/or boredom, which don't need to be strenuous. Even doing housework can be a good distraction.
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    It might sound stupid and not something every woman would do but watching sports always helps. I get so inspired to get fit that I don't even want to sit there and watch it while eating crap. What also helps is to go to tumblr and look at inspirational quotes and healthy foods. Always helps.

Or take up a new hobby that can keep you busy. Reading, walking, writing, blogging.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Being active is relative. If you can sit in a chair, you can do no-impact chair exercises. If you can stand, you can do more, even if you need a chair or some kind of prop for balance. If you can lie down, you might be able to do leg lifts and bridges. If it were me, and it has been me at various points in my life, I would figure out what I can do for exercise, even very gentle, restricted exercise. It's as important for my mind as it is for my body.
  • SrirachaBritt
    Options
    I know how you feel! Yesterday I was moping around about dudes and such, and I was SO HUNGRY the whole day. I just wanted to eat everything! But it was my brain and not my stomach that was hungry.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    About going out with friends: I go out with my friends 1-2 times a week, depending on my schedule and I just put in some cardio on my hometrainer for an hour or two before I go and as a result, I won't feel bad about that pizza or that beer I had. Maybe this is something you could do? My mum bought me my hometrainer as a Christmas present for 200 €, but I'm sure you should be able to get it much cheaper off Craigslist and the like. You could even position it in front of the TV, so every time you want to watch something you like, just hop on and you won't even notice you're excercising. :smile:
  • TristansHawk
    TristansHawk Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I can't run (my comfort thing), then I play my piano. Maybe learning a musical instrument? Many people can learn basic stuff on a guitar on their own and with the internet/books.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I can't run (my comfort thing), then I play my piano. Maybe learning a musical instrument? Many people can learn basic stuff on a guitar on their own and with the internet/books.

I learnt how to play guitar on my own. I wont say I'm the greatest but I can play full songs and such. Love music, it's a great way to get the emotions in check!! :)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Water. Get a bottle of water and just start drinking.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

Small sustainable changes.
    When inspirations strikes people revamp their whole lives. The only problem being is when stress comes along (and it always does), we revert to comfortable familiar behaviors.
    Change a couple of small things until they become habit.
    Once they are habit, it's automatic, and you don't have to think about it any more.
    Then it's time to make another couple of small changes.

Rather than having to think about everything all the time. You only have to think about a 2 or 3 new things.
    In the meanwhile your old habits still provide a bit of comfort and security. Down the road your new habits will become your old habits and they will provide a sense of comfort and security.

So many people say I'm never going to emotional eat again, I kinda think that setting myself up for failure. There will be set backs where I won't make the best choices. Hopefully if you are tracking and keeping a few notes you'll detect patterns and adjust for them. Sometimes I'll be extra healthy if I know an event or stressfully occasion is coming up. And some times they hit by surprise and the trick is focusing on the improving rather then focusing on the set backs gradually you'll have more improvements and fewer set backs.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like to clean things. Pick something (a cupboard, a drawer, a part of the house) and clean it. It gives me a sense of control.
  • ronitigre
    ronitigre Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes!!!!!

Maybe I should expand on that.....

My replacement was cigarettes :)
    One bad habit for another
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    A kitten. Adopt a sweet fluffy lap cat to snuggle when you need comfort. You probably wouldn't want to eat while petting a cat, anyway so double-win!

ETA: studies have shown that petting a cat or dog lowers blood pressure and relieves stress and pain. :)
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Crocheting worked for me :)