Anyone who DOES NOT lift heavy and still saw great results?

Options

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery almost 4 years ago. Before that, I lifted a lot. I was pretty ripped. I also ran and rode bikes because I like to do those things.

After the surgery, the surgeon said, "If you were smart, you wouldn't lift like you used to." (granted, I only had my back _kind of_ fixed, not 100% fixed, so it's still pretty vulnerable).

For my recovery, I did intense PT, all body weight stuff. I worked my way back to being very fit without weights. That was a valuable lesson. I was walking only (like, 35+ miles a week), no running for several months, and I was in amazing shape. I was being very careful with my diet as well. That was an important element to getting back to feeling strong and in shape. I don't go to the gym any more and probably won't because now I know that I don't need to in order to support the type of fitness that works for me.

Body weight training _is_ resistance training.

I love this guy. He's an amazing body weight athlete: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2011/05/11/minimal-equipment-workouts/

You don't need to lift heavy things if you don't want to (or can't for some reason). Been there. You can get really, really great results with body weight exercises.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    lifting heavy isn't necessary...but resistance training of some kind is. Part of the issue here on MfP is people get their terms all crossed...people tend to call almost everything "lifting heavy" because whatever they're liifting is heavy for them...never mind the fact that "heavy" is generally synonomous with primary compound lifts in the 1-5 rep range, specifically for strength. There is also hypertrophy lifting as well as endurance. Body weight training is an excellent way to go as well...but one of the reasons actual weight training is so common is that it is extremely efficient...you can easily do a full body, kick your *kitten* workout in about 30 minutes.

I don't know anyone who does just cardio that has a rockin' fitness body...resistance training is essential to a well rounded fitness regimen.

QFT ^^^
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy isn't necessary...but resistance training of some kind is. Part of the issue here on MfP is people get their terms all crossed...people tend to call almost everything "lifting heavy" because whatever they're liifting is heavy for them...never mind the fact that "heavy" is generally synonomous with primary compound lifts in the 1-5 rep range, specifically for strength. There is also hypertrophy lifting as well as endurance. Body weight training is an excellent way to go as well...but one of the reasons actual weight training is so common is that it is extremely efficient...you can easily do a full body, kick your *kitten* workout in about 30 minutes.

I don't know anyone who does just cardio that has a rockin' fitness body...resistance training is essential to a well rounded fitness regimen.

That's the thing, cardio IS resistance training.

I run, I get tired, I continue, it is all resistance. I run up hills, I am fighting gravity. I run downhills - that may not seem like resistance, but believe me, run too hard down that hill and I will trash my quads, therefore I am resisting.

Running, it is resistance and running is cardio.

I run three times per week, I have not done weights for over two months now and before that, it was just once per week.
    My dear friend running downhill is medically wrong. You are about to injure your knee joints.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do not power lift. I rarely lift more than 45 pounds (except leg weights which I do 125, but that's average for most women, I think). Usually I just do 5-10 free weights or kettle bells and loads of cardio. Lost 30 pounds doing this (as well as eating well) Lost a lot of inches.
  • needernt
    Options

QFT ^^^
    love it
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I lost weight not lifting heavy. But i never really got the results in terms of body shape that i wanted until i started lifting heavy. 9-9
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I run, I get tired, I continue, it is all resistance. I run up hills, I am fighting gravity. I run downhills - that may not seem like resistance, but believe me, run too hard down that hill and I will trash my quads, therefore I am resisting.

I run three times per week, I have not done weights for over two months now and before that, it was just once per week.
    My dear friend running downhill is medically wrong. You are about to injure your knee joints.

Well my dear, it is kind of hard to get back home when I have run UPHILL to get to where I am going and now have to return, know what I mean?

I run on the roads, I train on the roads, I do not run uphill all the way and do just that LOL
  • needernt
    Options

Well my dear, it is kind of hard to get back home when I have run UPHILL to get to where I am going and now have to return, know what I mean?

I run on the roads, I train on the roads, I do not run uphill all the way and do just that LOL
    fair enogh
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i dont own weights

my weelky workout is as so:

Monday - 4m trail run (fields and hills)
    Tuesday - Metafit
    Wednesday - 4mile trail run plus interval training (in addition to run)
    Thrusday - Rebound Class
    Friday - 4mile trail run and Metafit
    Saturday - rest day
    Sunday - Longer run - 6miles+ again trail running with hills

my 4mile run will soon increase to 5miles (prob next week)

I also own a horse so every day I'm poop picking the field twice a day (hilly field - pushing a barrow load of poop up it is my weight training LOL) and ride 5-6 times a week then compete at the weekends - But I dont class anything with the horse as 'exersise' - its just every day life to me and I was still doing it when I was 154lbs and 'unfit' at the beginning of the year (i average 119lbs now - 5'5½)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You can get great results without lifting heavy. But you should still be lifting something. Dieting + cardio just makes people look thin and sickly without resistance training.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can get great results without lifting heavy. But you should still be lifting something. Dieting + cardio just makes people look thin and sickly without resistance training.

I agree! I do lift, I just use lighter dumbbells at home. I really push myself and try to use weights that force me to work until I can't do another rep.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am currently only running and walking as well as watching my calorie intake. I was doing a cross-fit class (it was free) but it got canceled. So now I am strictly back to walking and running. My body has been transforming with that alone and I am amazed. I am now in a size 8 pant and I am still 17 pounds heavier than the last time I was in this size! I do plan on doing body weight exercises at home at some point. Right now I just haven't had the motivation to add that.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't work out at all. I've lost nearly 2½ stone since November!

I set out planning to swim three mornings a week which was what I was already doing, but then my job ended in February so I had to give up my Council Tonic Card and as I have no income at the moment, I haven't been swimming.

But I walk, cycle, try to be active as much as possible. If I do something significant like walk or cycle ½hour or more, or work in the garden involving carrying things, digging, bending, stretching etc for an hour or more I'll log it and then use some of the calories MFP tells me I've earned.

I'm NEVER going to be a gym goer, and I've tried running in years gone by, but I'll never do that consistently. I used to play badminton and squash - if I can persuade my husband, I'll try and get back into those.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

« « « What, like that?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight without lifting. I looked flabby and gross, but YAY WEIGHT LOSS! Then I started lifting, and things got hot. Should've started from day one.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight without lifting. I looked flabby and gross, but YAY WEIGHT LOSS! Then I started lifting, and things got hot. Should've started from day one.

All the way.

When I initially lost 50lbs, I was eating only 1200 calories a day and walking or jogging. I never did any kind of strength. While I lost several sizes, I too was flabby and not happy with my body.

I fell of the wagon and gained most of the weight back. Then started eating between 1800-2100 calories and began lifting. I started in March but really got more serious with lifting about two months ago. My body is completely different than it was with just walking. I still haven't lost all the weight but I am down a pant size and my body is much more firm, even with the fat I still have to lose.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    I think in the end it is personal preference, does one form of exercise work "faster" or "better" then another, sure I feel some are better then others. I have talked to so many people and WITNESSED first hand thier own results. I have seen gym rats do isolation exercises for years, and they have trouble dropping body fat. I have watched a co-worker get very serious about his diet and only run 3 days a week and have success. I had no idea what I would enjoy, or what would work best for me. I tried spin class, workout dvds like p90x and I got fustrated with them. Until I read about stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength. Yes cardio will work, yes crossfit will work, yes regular bodyweight stuff will work. The reason "heavy lifting" grabbed me is because it not only helps you shred fat, but you GET STRONGER. I don't know about anyone else but I was sold.

There are lots of people on here doing SL5x5 or starting strength. Check it out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics?page=1
  • freebirdfitness
    Options
    When you perform strength-training exercises you make your muscles grow larger and stronger, which is described as toning.

^^^^ Just want people to note that you can only grow or shrink your muscles, you can't say I'd like to tone but not make my muscles bigger.

Decreasing the fat % over your muscles so you can see them better, or having them grow bigger are the only two options you have really.

I just think it's funny to hear all the time, I don't really want bigger muscles, I just want to tone. Women eating protein ever 2 hrs and eating a caloric surplus can put a max of 0.5 lbs of muscle a month. If you know how tiny 1 lb of muscle is, you would know how many months is needed of max effort to change your body shape. You cannot accidentally get bulky. Not at all. Also just to note, weight lifting promotes bone health, which is important for our future health.

I would say even if you hate lifting weights, it's good to add it in here or there. I hate cardio and make sure to do it every now and again for heart health. It's an important aspect of a well rounded program. I don't want to sound preachy, I just don't know if you start to lose muscle mass and bone mass every year after 40yrs old, why would you not lift weights as a preventative measure. I'm sure, if anyone hates lifting weights, bring them to an old age home and I'm sure they will re-consider.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

It wouldn't be correct to categorize "cardio" as resistance training, although some forms can have resistive components; such as.

Sprinting
    Uphills
    Biking

If your resist that much going downhill, that isn't really correct for returning downhill. That would have to be some serious grade.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on whether it is better to go heavy weights at the gym or to do body weight exercises at home. They both DO definitely work though.

I have done push ups at home every single day for around 18 months now and look very different to when I started. Friends have argued it would have been quicker to work hard at the gym though for similar results.