Quinoa recipes? (300 cal or under??)

Options
PinkkCamel
PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
Recently bought some quinoa since I heard a lot of good things about it. Apart from eating it as a side dish, does anyone have any good recipes for lunch/dinner? (:

Replies

• Bjean54
    Bjean54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    •Combine cooked chilled quinoa with pinto beans, pumpkin seeds, scallions and coriander. Season to taste and enjoy this south-of-the-border inspired salad.
    •Add nuts and fruits to cooked quinoa and serve as breakfast porridge.
    •For a twist on your favorite pasta recipe, use noodles made from quinoa.
    •Sprouted quinoa can be used in salads and sandwiches just like alfalfa sprouts.
    •Add quinoa to your favorite vegetable soups.
    •Ground quinoa flour can be added to cookie or muffin recipes.
    •Quinoa is great to use in tabouli, serving as a delicious (and wheat-free) substitute for the bulgar wheat with which this Middle Eastern dish is usually made.

I've never heard of this before so I looked this up! How are you preparing this? :)
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162644/spicy-cajun-chicken-quinoa

this is delicious (although it is 387 cals)

and this

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2013/04/creamy-quinoa-porridge-with-coconut-milk-and-spices.html

you have to rinse it well beofre you cook it or it is quite bitter
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Give me till Tuesday & I'll have the best recipe you will have every tasted. I can't get to work till Monday.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, corn, and sweet potato! I usually have it for dinner, but it's sweet enough for dessert :D

1/4 cup dry quinoa (150 calories)
    1 small- medium sweet potato (100-150 calories)
    1/2 - 2/3 cup sweet corn (75-100 calories)
    cinnamon and salt to taste

Add butter if you want (this will add 50- 100 calories )

Makes two servings (163- 200 calories, or up to 300 with butter/margerine)

Dice the sweet potato and add all the ingredients to a pot (I have a mini rice cooker that works great for this, too). Heat it to a boil and then let it boil for 5-10 minutes, then turn the heat to medium. You may have to play around with the time so that the quinoa and sweet potato are the firmness or softness that you want (I like mine to both be softer) but it takes about 20 minutes until everything is well-cooked. Add cinnamon and salt to taste! Enjoy :D
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    taboulleh is awesome but watch the olive oil as that can spike calories quick.

one of my staples is quinoa+ground turkey+salsa+torn baby spinach ... this makes an easy and hearty dish.

quinoa+brown rice half and half is a nice flavor/texture combination (fluffiness and grassiness(?) ;) of quinoa + density and nuttiness of brown rice)
  • ianthamfyolek
    ianthamfyolek Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We mix red quinoa and black beans with beef stock, then crumble it over a couple of tortilla chips as a great ground beef substitute. We also mix red quinoa with chopped sweet potatoes and lentils (any color) with curry for a great Indian-inspired dish. Honestly, quinoa is a very versatile, nutritious, filling meal.
  • njg120
    Options
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-sweet-potato-and-quinoa-chili/

Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili

Ingredients (serves 6):

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes or 1 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
    1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
    1 large sweet potato, diced (with or without the skins…I leave mine on)
    1 cup dry quinoa
    1 onion, diced
    5 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    a few dashes of garlic powder
    a few dashes of onion powder
    Himalayan salt to taste
    4 cups (32 oz) water or vegetable broth, + more as needed
    avocado, cilantro and/or diced onion, for garnish
    Preparation:

In large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 7 – 10 minutes). Add garlic, cook for another minute or so. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover slightly ajar, reduce heat and cook for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chili is ready when sweet potatoes are tender. Add additional water if chili is too thick for your liking. Serve with optional garnishes. You may also like to top it with this easy Cilantro Lime Cashew ‘Sour Cream’.
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    Citrus shrimp quinoa

1 cup quinoa uncooked
    2 cups water
    1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tbs white wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp dill weed
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    40 med shrimp deveined and tail off, cooked
    5 clementines peeled and sectioned
    3/4 cup cucumber, chopped
    1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese

1. in a medium saucepan bring quinoa and water to a boil. simmer for ten minutes.
    2. in small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar , dill, salt and pepper.
    3. in a large bowl, combine quinoa, shrimp, clementines, cucumber, and whisked dressing.
    4. refridgerate for 4 hours before serving. top with feta cheese before serving. (I left out the cheese as I'm not a big cheese fan).
    5. enjoy!

1/2 cup equals 175 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 319 mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5 g fiber, 14g protein.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and recently discovered black quinoa which, apparently, is more healthful than the 'royal' white quinoa.
    I mainly use it as a side-dish in place of rice or pasta.
    There are three great recipes in Yotam Ottolenghi's "Plenty" where quinoa is used in salads, inc:-
    - quinoa, broadbean and avocado salad,
    - quinoa and grilled sourdough salad, and
    - quinoa salad with dried Iranian lime.

There's also a couple of recipes in Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian Cooking", inc:
    - quinoa with tomato and thyme, and
    - quinoa with sweetcorn and potatoes.

If I get time tomorrow I'll transcribe one or two of them.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My take on delicious Quinoa Salad:

2 cups of cooked Quinoa, cooled.
    80g Avocado, chunks
    7g spring onion/shallots, sliced finely
    41g mushroom, chopped
    83g tomatoes, small cubes
    35g red capsicum, diced finely
    93g lebanese cucumber, small cubes
    105g iceberg lettuce, torn into bitesized pieces
    82g artichokes in brine, chopped roughly
    5g parsley, fresh, finely chopped

Mix together then add dressing of:

11g olive oil and
    12g lime juice

I weigh everything so it's accurate. This salad makes 2 huge main courses, with 389 calories per serve. Or you can halve a serve and add some protein.

I had a half serve and 60g deli ham for under 300 calories for lunch.

*Edited for typos, it's late here in Australia :)
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to make it even easier, I cook my Quinoa in the rice cooker :)
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My favourite quinoa recipe so far: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Great comfort food for a cool fall day. I freeze it in individual portions and heat in the microwave.
  • FritzTheCat1030
    Options
    Bacon Quinoa with Almonds and Herbs

1/3 C slivered almonds
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    2 thick slices of applewood-smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 inch dice
    1 small shallot, minced
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 sage sprig
    1 T minced chives
    1 T chopped parsley
    salt and freshly ground white pepper

In a small skillet or 350° oven, toast the almonds until golden brown, ~4 minutes. Let cool.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat until the fat has rendered, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot and cook, stirring a few times, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the quinoa, stock and sage and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the stock has been absorbed, about 17 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the sage and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in the chives, parsley and toasted almonds. Season the quinoa with salt and pepper and serve.

Servings: 4 Calories: 265 Carbs: 31 Fat: 12 Protein: 12 Sodium: 335 (most of which is from the chicken stock...you can cut this down by using low-sodium or homemade stock)

This makes a great lunch topped with a poached egg.
  • SarahBrown1979
    SarahBrown1979 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Healthy nibbles: Quinoa pizza bites

Yields about 12 bites

Ingredients:
    •2 cups cooked quinoa
    •1 cup shredded mozzarella
    •2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
    •1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
    •2 eggs
    •1 medium onion, chopped
    •2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
    •1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    •Dash of salt and pepper
    Directions:
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
    2.In a mixing bowl, mix the quinoa, cheeses, pepperoni, eggs, onion, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
    3.Scoop a large spoonful of quinoa mixture into the greased muffin cavities, filling all the way to the top. Smoosh the mixture down slightly with the back of the spoon. Top each bite with a few more sprinkles of mozzarella cheese and oregano.
    4.Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve warm with marinara dipping sauce.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to add it to homemade soup.
    I made a roasted tomato and garlic soup the other day, and added some cooked quinoa (50g dry) to it near the end. I blended the soup after I added the quinoa, and it gave it lovely body, and added much-needed protein.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Salad! Cook it and chill it, add some spinach if you're so inclined or romaine lettuce. I'd add in red onion, chickpeas (drained, rinsed and pat dry), cucumber, chicken breast or tuna, tomato, green peppers and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss and enjoy.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these wonderful ideas! I've been trying to decide what to do with my quinoa. :happy:
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Adding to homemade soups or stews is soo good! I particularly love adding to sautéed veggies!! Especially squash. I also make it in my rice cooker and add a beef bouillon cube to the water ... Yum!