what is a best time for a 5k running

Options
I am quite a beginner, I managed to finish 5k in 33 min and 38 sec. is that an ok time? What is yours?

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Running is about running for you and is really a competition against yourself. Everyone's time is different, and even different at various points in their life. If that's where you're at, then that's great! :) Keep on going and see if you can beat it, if that's what you're after.

ETA: I just saw this quote this morning and it reminded me of this a bit:
    "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice in your head that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan
  • aurabu
    aurabu Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know, I have already improved with 3 minutes but I was curious to see what others do time wise
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My advice compete against yourself, setting small goals each week or two. As far as the best time to run whatever works best for you and your schedule.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Hi I ran my first 5K run last Saturday.

Let me put it this way when I started running early this year I could run for only 500 mts. Then I got 1k, 2k and 3K. When I was able to run the whole 3k's without stopping I was running at 8 min/km. Around May I started increasing speed and running more distance, 5, 6, 8 and 10K. The fastest I had done before last Saturaday was around 7 min/km. Guess what? On Saturday I ran the 5K in less than 30 min, 29.21 to be more specific. That is a huge improvement for me. I was 55 out of 126 runners. But you know how fast was the first one? The mother f$%&^ ran the 5 Ks in just 17 min.

What I'm trying to point out is that is diffciult to compare, so the best comparison is your own times. Cause sometimes you might believe you are awesome but someother you'll believe you suck

Cheers and keep working out
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I am quite a beginner, I managed to finish 5k in 33 min and 38 sec. is that an ok time? What is yours?

Your time is really good. Just keep improving on that. You can compare yourself to others if you like but you're just racing yourself mostly. It's fun to beat your old times.

My best is 23:46 I believe. I'll probably never beat the first place guys but I plan on beating my time this next race. That's where all the fun is.
  • aurabu
    Options
    But you know how fast was the first one? The mother f$%&^ ran the 5 Ks in just 17 min.

Funny:)))

Thanks all for the posts!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The world record is 12:37.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! For me, like someone else mentioned, it is about beating my own time. This time last year I was running a 5K in 36 minutes. I just ran one in 27:20 a few weeks ago but that was a really fast course. My average is 29 minutes.
  • aurabu
    Options
    The world record is 12:37.

I am close then :)))
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Running is about running for you and is really a competition against yourself. Everyone's time is different, and even different at various points in their life. If that's where you're at, then that's great! :) Keep on going and see if you can beat it, if that's what you're after.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice in your head that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Excellent advice. It's all about personal improvement. Your first time is very good as is your improvement so well done.

My 1st 5K was in May - I did it in 28:53 - my best time is 23:16 but I still feel I can improve. The most important part to me though is running the whole route
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I run for fun, and have done a few 5k's. My first 5K was done in 30 minutes even, but it helped I was tailing someone who ran the same pace as me ;-) When I got tired I just looked ahead and pushed to catch up.

You had a good first time, just compete against yourself, like others have said.

I have a friend that's a marathoner. That assh*le can run his miles in barely over 7 minutes!
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5K was in May - I did it in 28:53 - my best time is 23:16 but I still feel I can improve. The most important part to me though is running the whole route

That's some seriously impressive progress! I'd have thought that you're getting close to the front of your age group with low 23 minute times. I'd be overjoyed (and amazed) if I could drop my times down from 26 to 21 minutes in 5 months.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! Just keep working on beating your own times.

I've been running since January and only JUST broke 30 minutes on my 5k a couple of weeks ago. I can do distance running but have a much harder time with speed.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My 5k PR is 24:34
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    right now i rekon i could do 5k in about 40 minutes. my best i think was about 35 some time ago.

im doing c25k in the hopes of being able to do it in 30
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was August 10th and I ran it in 32 min or so. My PR was last Friday night and it was 27 min 58 seconds. You really are competing against yourself.
  • hellynewman
    hellynewman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think that's a brilliant time, i'm a beginner as well and my quickest time is 35 minutes :-(
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I agree whole heartedly with this person. It's one of my favorite parts of running - that you're competing against yourself.

My first 5K was a 10 min/mile, and I think I was 160th out 348 women. I'm currently training for a 10K and my pacing is better, so I'm hoping to get around 9:30 min/mile, but any time it's the first time you've done a distance in a race you should focus on just *finishing* and not worrying about your time.
  • philsykes
    philsykes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my 5k PB is 20:59 at a parkrun event... would love to get under 20mins but just cant push myself that little bite more :-(

Not yet anyway maybe one day!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is a totally individual thing. When I started I was running 5k in about 40 mins. Now it's 27, but I usually focus on longer distance races because I don't like running fast.

That being said, for me, any time the female winner could not have run the course twice in the time I run it once, I consider a successful race. I run in Boston and have the opportunity to run with world class runners.