cant find an excersise i enjoy

Options
i have tried pretty much everything, i love zumba but there isnt a class near me and the dvd's just arent as fun. and because i cant find one i enjoy i just give up. i had to cancel mmy gym membership because it just cost too much, so the odds really arent on my side.. any ideas of something exciting and fun to do ?

thank you for your time xxx

Replies

• JuliMagenta
    JuliMagenta Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation.
    I discovered weight training to be fun (we have a free gym room in our dorm, so I don't have to pay).

Before, sometimes I just went for a walk in the evening with my mp3 player. Then, noone is walking around, you can sing along, dance or just walk.
    Or, what about trampoline? Maybe theres a club where you can do it. It's really fun! :)
    Have you ever tried hiking? I personally don't like it that much, but many of my friends recently started it.

Hope you'll find a way to exercise :)
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Are you saying no workout DVDs are fun or the Zumba workout DVD isn't as fun as live class. I agree with the later. I'm currently doing JNL Fusion Workouts. They are 30 minutes long, 5 circuit strength/cardio workouts (each set lasting 30 seconds (don't be fooled by the 30 seconds). I get a good burn, my muscles are sore and I'm losing inches. Inbox me if you want more information.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    try boxing
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find Les Mills classes really fun! Bodypump gives you a full body workout in an hour to upbeat songs, it's a good intro to weights too :smile:
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    what about sports? i hate the gym and road running, however give me a football or hockey pitch and i run for miles on it!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i have tried pretty much everything, i love zumba but there isnt a class near me and the dvd's just arent as fun. and because i cant find one i enjoy i just give up. i had to cancel mmy gym membership because it just cost too much, so the odds really arent on my side.. any ideas of something exciting and fun to do ?

thank you for your time xxx

Do you enjoy cleaning the basement? Do you enjoy washing windows? Do you enjoy vacuuming? Do you do them anyway? Sometimes it's not about enjoying everything you do, sometimes it's about doing what needs to be done.

Yes, Ideally you'd want to enjoy what you're doing. But a lot of things become more fun as you get better at them. And few people start something new being better at it. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, do something for a week or a month or whatever, and grow to enjoy it.
  • freebirdfitness
    Options
    You can by belly dancing videos, Wii fit has many dancing games, yoga etc. You can buy yoga dvd's. I've heard people like P90x or something? You can do body weight exercises, hiking, running, walking. You can find items around your home to pick up and put down. Boxing, kick boxing, martial arts, gymnastics. Swimming, sports, playing with children or grandchildren. Put leg weights on and a weighted back pack and do your walmart shopping at a brisk pace I don't know. If you really want to get er done you will find a way.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    There's "enjoy" and then there's "enjoy" - sometimes you just have to go with the thing you dislike the least. And with most types of exercise, you won't really enjoy them until you get a basic level of mastery, which means doing stuff you hate for some period of time. Don't give up too soon!

That said, try to figure out what you like about Zumba - is it the group energy? The dancing? The constant switching up? Do you feel especially good at it? Then try to find something that has those same qualities. If it's the group energy, that will be kind of tough if there aren't any classes near you. But you can start your own exercise group! My mother-in-law used to invite all her friends over to do yoga DVDs in her living room twice a week, they had a blast.

Or if you really can't find anything you like, at least try to find the exercise that gets you the most benefit in the shortest time - bodyweight circuits are great for this. 25 minutes, 3x/week, boom, done. Plus they're free, and you can do them anywhere, so you don't have to worry about "oh I can't afford the gym" or "it's snowing, I can't hit the pool today".
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with jacksonpt 100%!! We don't always enjoy the things we need to do. I used to hate exercising....Like, really, HATE it. I did it any ways. I love it now. I crave it. I miss it when I am gone.

I think what helped me the most was lots of variety and really small attainable goals. Because we all like to feel like we're achieving something, right? I have a list of 100 fitness goals. Some are "attendance" type goals. Ones I can cross off EVERY DAY. Most others are achievement goals. I know I can do ALL of them! So excited to cross the whole list off. I plan to frame it when I'm done!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Last summer I reached out of my comfort zone and started going to the water aerobics at the local pool and LOVED it! But now it is not pool weather here, so I decided to start going to the local aerobics class at our church. It is really fun. It is just a small group of women and we have a really good workout. The instructor really researches her stuff to find new things to try. And they only charge $1 and have all of the equipment we need for our workouts, like weights, steps, exercise balls, resistance bands, and floor mats.

Aerobics is only Mondays and Thursdays, so I try to walk the High School track on the nights that I do not go to aerobics if I am in town. I live out in the country so its not always convenient. So I go whenever my kids are at their functions, such as football practice, youth group, or girl scout meetings. I make it work into my hectic schedule also.

So maybe you could try to find some type of aerobics or workout classes locally that are not in the gym??
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Netflix (by mail) - they have hundreds of workout DVDs. I got a new video in the mail every week. I was able to “test drive” workout DVDs to find what I like (and what I hated).

The website I used to narrow my choices: collagevideo.com
    This site gives reviews, video clips, tell you what equipment you'll need, what fitness level, etc.

Have you tried Zumba for Wii or XBox? Redbox rents a few video games ....you could try before you buy.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I tried the same line on my doctor a few months after I began making changes to become healthy, strong and fit... I never liked exercising so I tried a bunch of different things and never found one i "loved". When she asked me how the exercise was going I told her I was trying to find something I enjoyed.... and that 'worked" in my hectic shift work/two jobs life... she looked me straight in the eye and said "Iuh huh. here's the thing... I don't really care if you like it or not.... DO IT". Pretty much said "suck it up buttercup.... either you want to change or you don't. Your choice." I admit to calling her a few names on the way home and may even have fashioned a small doll with pins that resembled her in the next week or two... :laugh: (kidding people!)

BUT.. eventually I realized she was absolutely right. And I changed. I started just walking, but since I live in the city, I drove to the lake every day about 10km away) and walked there because it was far more enjoyable at least than in traffic!) I started doing a few seconds of jogging here and there.. when I started i could only last 20 seconds ... yup 20 seconds of a very slow jog! I then started reading the exercise forums on here which I had always avoided.... and began a little strength training just using body weight so it didn't cost me a thing and I wasn't intimidated by having to go to a gym. It may not seem like much to some people, but for me, it was a huge step and like brushing your teeth every day, making sure I MOVED my parts some way every day slowly became a habit. There are a lot of great suggestions from MFP's on here already - but don't wait til you find something you "love". Start today doing something, anything! You CAN do it!
  • SrirachaBritt
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Before I graduated college, I would go to the gym and do HIIT on the elliptical 4X/wk, and there was a sense of community. Everyone was there working out, and a lot of times I'd see my friends - supportive environment. Now when I'm at the park walk/jogging ALONE it feels like a punishment. I have to hype myself up to go walking just like I learned to like going to work. I tell myself "I'm going to work - to work." I go walking to walk - It's not a punishment if I don't make it feel like one.

I can't guarantee that you'll find something that you like, but maybe find out why you don't like anything.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Try everything!! If you are a person who does better outside, find a mountain or hill and start hiking (my newest passion). I also love to bike ride and am learning to run. I use RunKeeper to track my rides, hikes and runs. I am pretty competitive with myself. I always need to do better than the day before. It tracks distance, calories burned, elevation, duration, and a couple other things so there is usually one thing I can improve on every day. I am up to a 20 mile ride on my bike, a 3.15 mile hike and a 3 mile walk/run. I love the fresh air and getting outside.

You can also go to the library to try out all those dvd's for free but if you aren't a dvd person (I am not) that won't help. Just keep trying things that interest you.

In the winter, there is skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing. You can swim at an indoor pool. Look for a cheaper gym. My gym is Fitness for $10 and the membership if you don't do any classes is just $10 A MONTH. Look around. Join groups. Look at a community college in your area.

I wake up at 4:30 so I can get in 1.5 hours of exercise before I head off to my 5 part time jobs. Like Snoozie said...Just Do It!
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There's "enjoy" and then there's "enjoy" - sometimes you just have to go with the thing you dislike the least. And with most types of exercise, you won't really enjoy them until you get a basic level of mastery, which means doing stuff you hate for some period of time. Don't give up too soon!

That said, try to figure out what you like about Zumba - is it the group energy? The dancing? The constant switching up? Do you feel especially good at it? Then try to find something that has those same qualities. If it's the group energy, that will be kind of tough if there aren't any classes near you. But you can start your own exercise group! My mother-in-law used to invite all her friends over to do yoga DVDs in her living room twice a week, they had a blast.

Or if you really can't find anything you like, at least try to find the exercise that gets you the most benefit in the shortest time - bodyweight circuits are great for this. 25 minutes, 3x/week, boom, done. Plus they're free, and you can do them anywhere, so you don't have to worry about "oh I can't afford the gym" or "it's snowing, I can't hit the pool today".

^All of this. I do not like exercising and going to the gym or classes is pretty inconvenient right now.
    This is why I love the 30DS. I can do it at home and in 25 mins. Do I "enjoy" doing it ? No , not really. I do, however, love the results.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    New variety of workout dvds......there are a ton of them
    Walking
    Jogging
    Running
    Swimming
    Rollerblading/skating
    Bike riding
    Play with your dog outside ***if you have one****
    Find fitness groups in your area and join them
    Hiking in the woods/ ****cooler weather out now****
    Join your local ymca. So much cheaper than a gym membership and they usually have pools and exercise equipment/weights
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things in my day to day life that I don't necessarily "enjoy" or "love" doing...but I do them anyway because I'm a big boy and I'm supposed to.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Maybe try new things and sometimes it's who your with, make some new friends, or give something a second try.

Also, like others have said, If exercise was always fun, everyone would be fit. LOL

Sometimes I REALLY TRULY do not want to work out, but I know that I will feel so good after.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Would you enjoy being unhealthy? Lazy? Overweight? Sick? Immobile?