Taking Phentermine, eating 1200 calories, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am confused. My primary care physician suggested I take phentermine because I am overweight, I didn't ask him at all about losing weight, he pointed it out to me. If it's so unhealthy, why did he think it was a good idea?

How well do you know your doc? Trust him? I ask because here in TN, lots of "medical clinics" only prescribe phentermine, lipo shots, etc. They don't do ANYTHING else and make a TON of money! I hope your doc is not prescribing because it is a money maker.

I went to 1 clinic. It was a hole n the wall. I lost some weight but had the problems with no sleeping at all for 2 days ten crashing hard. I tried taking half pills or 1 pill very other day. Biggest plus, it made me focus. I quit taking and gained back all plus some.

Couple of years later, I go back to the same clinic more for the focus because of huge work projects The clinic had a huge makeover. Very fancy and with several more employees. It was like a factory. They had it down to affine art t get as many women in and out during their lunchtime as possible. It was obvious this was huge money maker, not a place worried about health.

Be very careful taking this drug. With MFP, you an make a lifestyle change without pills.

Goodluck!!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    cook with an iron skillet. It leaches iron into the food.
  • percypat
    Options
    Looks like a Capybara. It's the largest rodent in Australia.

In the world.

Also it comes from South America. We don't have them in Australia. This fact is of great sadness to me :(
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am confused. My primary care physician suggested I take phentermine because I am overweight, I didn't ask him at all about losing weight, he pointed it out to me. If it's so unhealthy, why did he think it was a good idea?
    because they get money from drug reps for pushing product. eat a balance diet, walk for exercise if you cannot do more and get off pills you don't need.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested the phentermine and said I was overweight for my height. I weighed 167 and am 5 foot 7.

I'm 5'7 and i wish i weighed 167! That's not overweight by much, maybe 5 lbs....
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested phentermine for me a few years back. A year or 2 later (while on my second stint with phentermine) I went back to the SAME doctor about a sore throat and he asked what medicines I was taking. I listed phentermine and he lectured me about how bad it was for your organs and blah blah blah. I was like "Excuse me, YOU are the one who wrote me the Rx!"
    Thats when I learned about how when you stop taking phentermine it causes your brain to send a signal to your body telling you that you are hungry and to over eat. Therefor gaining the weight back.
    Just lose weight the old fashioned way.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh boy- you must be new to MFP or very strong to bring a topic like this to the forums. LOL

I will start off by saying that I, too am taking phentermine..and have been on it for about 3 weeks already. In the first couple weeks I lost about 10 pounds and the weight loss has slowed since then as well.

Now...with that said...I will also say that I lost my first 50lbs all by myself...no crazy diets, no personal trainers, just me, myself and I. After the first 50 dropped off I plateaued...and I don't mean for a month...I mean for a whole YEAR!!! I tried everything from eating more, eating less, exercising more, exercising less, incorporating different foods, switching up my workouts...literally everything. Finally I got fed up and went to the doctor to see what was going on. When I went there I had no intention on getting phentermine..i didnt even know what it was...I simply wanted to get my blood checked to see if there was something preventing me from losing weight.

I got everything checked, thyroid, vitamin levels, brain, heart, everything...everything was A-OKAY! After the doctor did all that testing, then she offered me the option of phentermine. I took her offer and started taking it and it seems to be helping so far but I have not really changed anything about my daily routine. I still workout 5 days a week from 1-2 hours a day...and I pretty much am eating the same (maybe a little bit smaller portions, but thats about all).

Phentermine has not given me any energy boost (I can actually take a nap with the pill which is different from anyone else's experiences that I've heard), I sleep fine at night, I still have my appetite, and everything seems to be going fine for now. I was not using phentermine as an easy way out I was just simply looking for a little push to get my body losing again.

NOW...with all of that said. You said that you have no energy...did your doctor test your vitamin levels and everything before putting you on this pill? You are NOT that overweight at 167 at 5'7...at all...it seems like you need to learn proper nutrition and get into some healthy habits and a healthy routine before going the pill route. If you don't...and your simply counting on the pill to help you lose all of your weight...then you bet you are going to gain back all the weight plus some. If you don't have these habits now..what makes you think you will have them after you're off the pill?

Have you tried seeing a nutritionist to help you get on the right track? This might be a good idea because as other people have mentioned, a 1200 calorie diet may not be the best one for you...everyone is different and MFP is not always 100% with the macros it gives you...you need to tailor it to your own personal body and what works best for you. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen eventually!!

I am not knocking your decision to take phentermine (as I stated, I am also taking it)...but I do suggest you talking to some other people (doctors, nutritionists, personal trainers, etc) to see what else can help you on this journey.

Good luck!!!!!!
  • shannoni86
    Options
    You know what I just realized? Check your health insurance coverage! My insurance will actually pay for two to four visits to a nutritionist a year, and I've been tempted to try going to one if my latest attempt doesn't work. I've had a couple of friends that have gone and have followed the plan that was given to them and lost good amounts of weight.

Also, I agree with someone earlier who stated that your weight loss could be slow. Don't be discouraged by that. I've plateaued a couple of times this year already, but my body has continued to change/slim/tone. You could easily lose the weight. If you take your iron, don't forget the water - it should help wake you up, too.

Oh, and now that I'm thinking about it, there's a book out there that I've been reading that has a lot of information listed in it. It's called (I kid you not) Kick Your Fat in the Nuts. Aside from being hilarious, a lot of health issues are covered, and the author and his colleagues list a lot of ways to keep yourself in tune with weight loss - like what happens when you have high insulin and such. It blows my mind on a daily basis, so I thought I'd put it out there.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You know what I just realized? Check your health insurance coverage! My insurance will actually pay for two to four visits to a nutritionist a year, and I've been tempted to try going to one if my latest attempt doesn't work. I've had a couple of friends that have gone and have followed the plan that was given to them and lost good amounts of weight.

Also, I agree with someone earlier who stated that your weight loss could be slow. Don't be discouraged by that. I've plateaued a couple of times this year already, but my body has continued to change/slim/tone. You could easily lose the weight. If you take your iron, don't forget the water - it should help wake you up, too.

Oh, and now that I'm thinking about it, there's a book out there that I've been reading that has a lot of information listed in it. It's called (I kid you not) Kick Your Fat in the Nuts. Aside from being hilarious, a lot of health issues are covered, and the author and his colleagues list a lot of ways to keep yourself in tune with weight loss - like what happens when you have high insulin and such. It blows my mind on a daily basis, so I thought I'd put it out there.

Definitely check your insurance!! My insurance covers trips to the nutritionist as well! I just have to pay my $20 copay.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    okay so you are bi-polar, have an iron defincency and don't take your supplements regularly, and might have CFS...eating less then 1200 calories a day and you can't lose weight.

You don't go to the same doctor all the time and one gives you a "weight loss drug" when you say you have bronchitis because at 5 ft 7 and 167 you are overweight...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My mother is bi-polar which means you have bursts of manic episodes which give you tonnes of energy then fall into a depression where you have none....I've watched it my whole life...she loses a tonne of weight during her manic phases.

But as for your issues...get a new doctor who you visit regularly, a pharmacutical *spelling physciastrist for bi-polar disorder and have them consult on a regular basis.

Take your supplements for your iron and exercise and eating enough give you energy. Then you lose weight safely and correctly.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the mixup with your profile pic. I didn't mean to sound so snarky in my first post - it must have been on a bad day!

Like a lot of other people, I'd be really concerned about a DR that prescribed phen so quickly, so I'm glad you're not seeing him anymore. And I'm glad you're not having any side effects. Be careful with things like blood pressure though - they call it the "invisible disease" because the majority of people don't have any symptoms when it's elevated.

I would also suggest a good nutritionist - they can help you figure out a lot of things and help to keep you on track.

And this site is always a good resource (if you can ignore all the snarky people!) :wink:
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    okay so you are bi-polar, have an iron defincency and don't take your supplements regularly, and might have CFS...eating less then 1200 calories a day and you can't lose weight.

You don't go to the same doctor all the time and one gives you a "weight loss drug" when you say you have bronchitis because at 5 ft 7 and 167 you are overweight...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My mother is bi-polar which means you have bursts of manic episodes which give you tonnes of energy then fall into a depression where you have none....I've watched it my whole life...she loses a tonne of weight during her manic phases.

But as for your issues...get a new doctor who you visit regularly, a pharmacutical *spelling physciastrist for bi-polar disorder and have them consult on a regular basis.

Take your supplements for your iron and exercise and eating enough give you energy. Then you lose weight safely and correctly.

I haven't had any episodes for over three years, and when I did, I neither gained nor lost weight.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options
    Sorry about the mixup with your profile pic. I didn't mean to sound so snarky in my first post - it must have been on a bad day!

Like a lot of other people, I'd be really concerned about a DR that prescribed phen so quickly, so I'm glad you're not seeing him anymore. And I'm glad you're not having any side effects. Be careful with things like blood pressure though - they call it the "invisible disease" because the majority of people don't have any symptoms when it's elevated.

I would also suggest a good nutritionist - they can help you figure out a lot of things and help to keep you on track.

And this site is always a good resource (if you can ignore all the snarky people!) :wink:

That's okay, we're all a little grouchy sometimes.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yeah...people will have a hissy fit if you mention phentermine or any other drug/supplement or surgical options. I am proof that you can have lasting weight loss w/ phentermine, but it only works if it is a lifestyle change and you slowly lose w/ realistic expectations/goals (and you maintain your healthy lifestyle after you stop the phentermine). Here is what I posted in a different topic re: phentermine:

I was on phentermine about 8 years ago, got to my goal weight (last 10 pounds w/o the pills) and then I quit exercising and quit dieting...gained it ALL back PLUS about 20 pounds.

I did phentermine again almost 4 years ago, lost 40 of the 75 pound goal in about 3 months (40 pounds got me in the top end of normal BMI). I did good w/ food, but I quit exercising. Gained 10 pounds back over about 12 months. I realized I was backsliding again, so I started my MFP food diary back up and it stopped the weight gain (only through diet PLUS exercise would I lose)

I think I was only successful the second time because my dr had me do MFP and a 1200 calorie diet and I learned what I SHOULD be eating. Also, my doctor was more involved w/ my weight loss than the first one. The first round, I didn't do either and the doctor didn't really seem to care. Now I KNOW what to eat, the pills just made it easier for my body to adjust to the portions.

It only made me jittery for 3 days, then I didn't notice that I even took it. When I quit taking it, it didn't cause any ill effects either. I think it was great, but you should only take it if you are medically (not necessarily morbidly) obese...not just because you want to lose 10-20 pounds to get to a size 3.

You shouldn't use it to get to 500 calories a day! You should use it to help you be satisfied at 1200 NET calories a day, then you come off of it after your body has enough time to adjust to that caloric and food amount. You will still lose weight quickly at first just going down to a HEALTHY calorie intake level.

KEEP IN MIND--if you quit losing and you are dieting/exercising/being honest in your diary, then you may be eating too little. I did it many times and I realized what my low point was. I am serious that when I got to 1000 calories or less, I would actually gain weight and as soon as I got back up to 1300 calories (net), then I would lose again.

To successfully use phentermine, you must use it to help you change to a healthy lifestyle...it isn't a magic pill. You will see many people stating that they gained all their weight back when they quit taking it...that's because they didn't make a lifestyle change and they just thought that this little pill would make all their fat disappear and they could eat whatever they want...FOREVER! It is only meant to be a tool to help you tolerate and build yourself to better eating and exercise habits.

If you continue you poor eating and lack of exercise, then of course you will gain it all back (and possibly extra due to binging)...that's why it is important to take this time while you are able to be on the pills to learn what your body needs and get your endurance up for exercising after the medications are gone.

GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • BooBoo1264
    Options
    I don't excercise at all. I can't. I have had a problem with lack of energy for a couple of years now.

Maybe see a different doctor and have your B12 checked.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've taken this drug before. MULTIPLE times. It's great for jumpstarting weight loss...especially when you are on the larger side as I was (over 300lbs.) However, the effects turn from great to bad after a while. Great being increased energy, decreased appetite, and quick weight loss. Bad being heart palpitations and tightness in chest. It's not recommended to take for longer than 3 months at a time, & I wouldn't recommend taking it any longer than that, as they stop working as well after the first month or so and start to wreak havoc on your heart. Six years ago, when I initially took it, I lost about 53lbs...over a 1yr period of taking it off and on. However, in between that time and the beginning of this year, I gained it ALL back plus 5lbs. Take it from me, it works as a short-term solution, but if you don't learn to truly change your eating habits and to exercise regularly while taking it, all of the weight WILL come back..and it will come back viciously. The pills are a crutch and once you stop taking them, it is HARD as heck to continue to eat so little if you haven't used that time to train yourself to eat well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I haven't had any episodes for over three years, and when I did, I neither gained nor lost weight.

You are so lucky...my mom goes up and down on her weight all the time...

That being said a complete check may be in order, thyroid, iron levels(family history), B12 (family history of this too) can all be a factor. B12 can cause chaos for weight loss and energy if you are deficent in it as it does cause anemia as mentioned before.

I also know that lack of energy can be lack of exercise which means you don't want to but once you start it's amazing how much more you have. Even just 20min walks.

I do hope you get it all figured out...but trust me at your height you are not that much over weight...we are the same height and your weight is just above my primary goal...ultimate goal for me is 160....I am in a size 9 almost an 8 now at 169.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options

You are so lucky...my mom goes up and down on her weight all the time...

That being said a complete check may be in order, thyroid, iron levels(family history), B12 (family history of this too) can all be a factor. B12 can cause chaos for weight loss and energy if you are deficent in it as it does cause anemia as mentioned before.

I also know that lack of energy can be lack of exercise which means you don't want to but once you start it's amazing how much more you have. Even just 20min walks.

I do hope you get it all figured out...but trust me at your height you are not that much over weight...we are the same height and your weight is just above my primary goal...ultimate goal for me is 160....I am in a size 9 almost an 8 now at 169.

Since getting on the phentermine, I have had my blood checked for thyroid, iron levels, etc. I have to get it checked periodically because of the medication I'm on for bipolar disorder. The only thing bad was my iron levels.
    Like I said, I do walk quite frequently, but I cannot exercise like other people I know. When I exert myself, I feel dizzy and my heart doesn't feel like I can handle it, I feel drained, so I stop. Every now and then I try it again, but cannot do anything other than warmups. I have one of The Biggest Loser's workout DVDs. I barely get through the warm up.

When I do walk, it's for about an hour, sometimes more and sometimes less.

I don't know what stores you shop at, but I wear a size 10-12, and I'm down to 153.5 pounds. My goal is to fit back into my size 9 clothes, which I wore when I was in my 120s.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    Options
    Yeah...people will have a hissy fit if you mention phentermine or any other drug/supplement or surgical options. I am proof that you can have lasting weight loss w/ phentermine, but it only works if it is a lifestyle change and you slowly lose w/ realistic expectations/goals (and you maintain your healthy lifestyle after you stop the phentermine). Here is what I posted in a different topic re: phentermine:

I was on phentermine about 8 years ago, got to my goal weight (last 10 pounds w/o the pills) and then I quit exercising and quit dieting...gained it ALL back PLUS about 20 pounds.

I did phentermine again almost 4 years ago, lost 40 of the 75 pound goal in about 3 months (40 pounds got me in the top end of normal BMI). I did good w/ food, but I quit exercising. Gained 10 pounds back over about 12 months. I realized I was backsliding again, so I started my MFP food diary back up and it stopped the weight gain (only through diet PLUS exercise would I lose)

I think I was only successful the second time because my dr had me do MFP and a 1200 calorie diet and I learned what I SHOULD be eating. Also, my doctor was more involved w/ my weight loss than the first one. The first round, I didn't do either and the doctor didn't really seem to care. Now I KNOW what to eat, the pills just made it easier for my body to adjust to the portions.

It only made me jittery for 3 days, then I didn't notice that I even took it. When I quit taking it, it didn't cause any ill effects either. I think it was great, but you should only take it if you are medically (not necessarily morbidly) obese...not just because you want to lose 10-20 pounds to get to a size 3.

You shouldn't use it to get to 500 calories a day! You should use it to help you be satisfied at 1200 NET calories a day, then you come off of it after your body has enough time to adjust to that caloric and food amount. You will still lose weight quickly at first just going down to a HEALTHY calorie intake level.

KEEP IN MIND--if you quit losing and you are dieting/exercising/being honest in your diary, then you may be eating too little. I did it many times and I realized what my low point was. I am serious that when I got to 1000 calories or less, I would actually gain weight and as soon as I got back up to 1300 calories (net), then I would lose again.

To successfully use phentermine, you must use it to help you change to a healthy lifestyle...it isn't a magic pill. You will see many people stating that they gained all their weight back when they quit taking it...that's because they didn't make a lifestyle change and they just thought that this little pill would make all their fat disappear and they could eat whatever they want...FOREVER! It is only meant to be a tool to help you tolerate and build yourself to better eating and exercise habits.

If you continue you poor eating and lack of exercise, then of course you will gain it all back (and possibly extra due to binging)...that's why it is important to take this time while you are able to be on the pills to learn what your body needs and get your endurance up for exercising after the medications are gone.

GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Hello. I'm not eating poorly, I eat healthy since starting phentermine, I know it has to be a lifestyle change, my doctor told me that. Before I got the prescription, during the office visit, he talked to me quite a while about making dietary changes and different choices. I only started gaining weight after starting a new bipolar medication. I am now being weaned off this med, so hopefully when I stop taking the phentermine, I will be able to keep it off. I never weighed more than 130 my whole life except for my pregnancies, and then I started the medication three years ago. I needed a jumpstart to start losing, and the phentermine really has helped. Like I said, I dropped 10 pounds within the first three weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement.