schools can suspend for playing with toy guns at home?

TwinkieDong
TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/23/7th-grader-suspended-using-airsoft-gun-his-own-fro/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/24/7th-grader-suspended-for-playing-with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/

other link was taken down.

SUSPENDED STUDENT MAY BE EXPELLED FOR REST OF THE YEAR FOR PLAYING WITH TOY GUN…IN HIS OWN YARD

BS like this won't be fixed until parents go after administrators personally. Make a 1983 civil rights claim, make a trespass (by proxy) claim, I don't care; tie them up in court as individuals, make them expend their own time and resources, and they'll get the message. Sue the district, and they'll enjoy their immunity sitting on the porch sipping margaritas.

Sovereign immunity is a dumbass idea. In real professions, individuals are responsible for their dumbassery; in government service, the taxpayers cover for the stupid.

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    WOW. Thread about Gays, and What color shoes should I wear get more responses than this?
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    WOW. Thread about Gays, and What color shoes should I wear get more responses than this?

It seems so.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    OMG boys are declining in numbers throughout universities, and now they are going to put them at more disadvantage for being little boys!

Too sad. Kids are going to make weapons thats nature. They were making spears out of sticks when we were all living in Africa. When we were all peasants on some Lord's land they were having sword fights.

STUPID STUPID STUPID!

Oh and to go with the administration thing...sigh. Chicago can't afford toilet paper for it's schools, but the superintendent enjoys a 6 figure salary and the superintendent of PA likes to use the N word on his school provided cell phone.

Once again stupid. America is only getting dumber because we let the dumb teach.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member

diagnosis-butthurt-1-250x279.jpg
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Parents need to read the school pollicy that most school districts send home and say sign...in each one I have read over the last 4 years there has been a new addition...Child can be suspended for behavior at home if the school feels it will impact the school. In other words, suspense of due process...child is guilty if we say so...and BTW we know better how to deal with your child then you do.
  • Child can be suspended for behavior at home if the school feels it will impact the school
    Insanity.

Not as bad as that school that was taking pictures of underage students on the school issued laptops and then hauling them in for questioning, but pretty bad.
  • ldrosophila
    Parents need to read the school pollicy that most school districts send home and say sign...in each one I have read over the last 4 years there has been a new addition...Child can be suspended for behavior at home if the school feels it will impact the school. In other words, suspense of due process...child is guilty if we say so...and BTW we know better how to deal with your child then you do.

lovely thanks for the FYI. Yeah let's teach children they dont have civil liberties. Great idea for raising the future a bunch of complacent, media obsessed sheep. Not bad powers that be...touche` touche`
  • TwinkieDong

Butt hurt? No, Dumbfounded more like it.

Common sense seems to be a mythological creature these days. California being the epitome of stupidity.

When the Government keeps increasing our debt ceiling and we are now almost $17 Trillion dollars in debt....no one talks about that. Or how the Feds pump in $58 Billion dollars of stimulus per month for the past 5 years. Oh no..we would rather talk about the Salvation Army that helps people, or Chickfila and what one of the founders said in a private meeting, or Paula Dean for using certain language. When if that is the issue of racist and bigotry why not go after the likes of Samuel L. Jackson a known black panther associate?
  • Nanu_3d
    Nanu_3d Posts: 7 Member
    I read this article yesterday and was shocked. I know people who take their children on hunting trips. So, if a school official saw that, could that child then be in trouble in school? Schools have been given too much power. They have no business interfering in something that does not affect school in any way, and did not occur on school property. I hope these parents are able to appeal this silliness.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member

Butt hurt? No, Dumbfounded more like it.

Common sense seems to be a mythological creature these days. California being the epitome of stupidity.

When the Government keeps increasing our debt ceiling and we are now almost $17 Trillion dollars in debt....no one talks about that. Or how the Feds pump in $58 Billion dollars of stimulus per month for the past 5 years. Oh no..we would rather talk about the Salvation Army that helps people, or Chickfila and what one of the founders said in a private meeting, or Paula Dean for using certain language. When if that is the issue of racist and bigotry why not go after the likes of Samuel L. Jackson a known black panther associate?

That is because all of that stuff gets locked. The mods have gone full potatoe here.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The constitution may award you rights, but individual institutions can--and often do--force you to waive those rights in order to receive their services. And the closer we come to becoming a corporate run state or a majority run state the more this will be the case.
  • TwinkieDong
    The constitution may award you rights, but individual institutions can--and often do--force you to waive those rights in order to receive their services. And the closer we come to becoming a corporate run state or a majority run state the more this will be the case.

I would have to agree with this statement. Sad fact.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member

Schools have been taken over by the government. A government entity can not for your to waive your consitutional protections against the government.

Also, the constitution does not award rights. It recognizes our natural rights, which include but are not limited to those outlined in the constitution.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    "The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report."

This made my head explode. We live in a dictatorship now, and have been going in that direction for decades.

We have arrived.
  • doirone
    doirone Posts: 51 Member
    So... Are the schools going to start handing out citations to parents who don't feed their kids "school guideline" food? If they don't have a fruit or vegetable at every meal, like the school lunches require, is the school going to hold the parents responsible for not teaching their kids healthy eating habits?

I realize this is like comparing apples to oranges, but where is the line? Where does it end?
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Yep. My 4 y/o got in trouble at daycare cause he said the word "gun" during play... 4. I explained to him that we've added another dirty word to the list of things he may use at home but nowhere else, I guess I need to revise my own rule to include what he says/does at home.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    So what you're saying is... I should stop buying my 4 nephews foam swords and guns that shoot big plastic balls? That just seems... counterintuitive.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    In before the lock/nuke, because yeah I totally do not see this thread ending well. At all.

It's nuts. What a child does at home on their parents private property and off of school property should not be cause to suspend or expel them.
  • ldrosophila
    So what you're saying is... I should stop buying my 4 nephews foam swords and guns that shoot big plastic balls? That just seems... counterintuitive.

No that just means you keep buying more and fight the stupidity.
  • ldrosophila
    Yep. My 4 y/o got in trouble at daycare cause he said the word "gun" during play... 4. I explained to him that we've added another dirty word to the list of things he may use at home but nowhere else, I guess I need to revise my own rule to include what he says/does at home.

Serious? So what would have happened if he had said knife or broken bottle? Those can be used as weapons.

Now I think everyone should name their son Gunner and call him gun for short.
This discussion has been closed.