Running on empty - is it bad for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I run on empty most of the time...if I do grab something it is a string cheese.

How does what you do relate to whether or not something is good for the OP?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Since everybody is carrying some bodyfat, you're never really running "empty." If you run in a fasted state, your body adapts to burn fat for fuel. I currently have a practically unlimited fuel source and I look to use that fuel over carbs every chance I can.

:drinker:
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's not "BAD" for you but it's whatever works best for you. some people can and some cant BUT...

you will burn more fat working out before breakfast or before you BREAK-the-FAST

I'm currently in the best looking physical shape of my life doing intermittent fasting (which actual boost your metabolism by releasing adrelaline) - Most times I workout when I'm 14+ hours into my fast
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    On the days I can run in the am within an hour of being awake I eat a cereal bar or a banana. Then I eat breakfast within an hour of working out. I found out the hard way if I run and eat nothing that I get physically ill like a truck ran me over. So while I am not hungry. I make myself eat at least 300 calories. I am on the run so I just get a cereal bowl from the gas station and milk.
  • w292737
    Options
    I have to run on empty or I get sick. it's really what works for you
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you. When I run in the early AM, I don't eat first. If I run later, I've usually had something to eat. Typically, I have a protein bar (Quest) or oatmeal or a banana with peanut butter. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my run.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Idon't worry about eating on early shortruns . I do eat something before long runs. Usually muffin and yougert. I do make sure to drink liquid before and during run.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I do a lot better when I'm running while fasted. I have a really sensitive and finnicky stomach so it took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to avoid feeling sick while running and fasted is the only way. My longest distance is 6 miles so that's all I can speak to. I'm training for a HM so I might have to play around with it again once my milage gets up there.