Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Options
I've been a vegetarian (for ethical reasons) for 5 1/2 years and have truthfully never paid much attention to my nutrition. It seems like people are always getting up in my business grilling me about getting enough protein and iron and all that jazz, but I have very seldom been intentional about monitoring my protein intake because I tend to eat a lot of nuts, beans, and soy products anyway. Today, MFP told me I was over my recommended amount of protein by more than 25% (62 grams instead of 45 grams). I was still under my calorie goal. Is protein really something I should be making sure I don't get too much of? That seems counterintuitive.

Replies

• wallacehk
    Options
    No real help from me sorry- but I think excess protein is okay. I'm in the same boat- a vegetarian- and often exceeding the protein goal, but always under my kj goal.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It might help if you check how much protein you are supposed to be having and then manually adjust the macro.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    If you have kidney problems, then yes, there can be such a thing as too much protein, because protein is digested by the kidneys.

How to know? If unsure, have your GFR and creatinine checked.

But generally:
    One gram protein per kg of body weight should be okay ! Which is about 62g for you.

MFP does not base its protein target on that, though, but on the percentage of your total calories coming from protein. It normally wants that at 15%. If you ate at your TDEE, then those 62g would about equate those 15%, but since MFP makes you eat at a deficit, it defines your ideal protein intake to be less.

You are young and probably have nothing to worry about. Protein is more filling, and you are within 1g/kg body weight, you should be alright.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you should to change your macros to 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat!
    The ones given by MFP are too low for proteins
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yep the 40c/30p/30f is also the same ratios used by the Zone Diet, which is said to be optimized for kidney function. I have kidney issues ... stones, high oxalate levels, protein and blood in urine. Eating too much protein from red meat can cause uric acid kidney stones, eating too many veggies/fruits/nuts can cause oxalate kidney stones. It's really all about BALANCE!

I doubt that a vegetarian has to worry too much about excess protein.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    No. Because if you are using MFP's standard calculations they are actually low on protein. Unless someone has some specific health issues there really isn't any problem with lots of protein.
  • fishfoodfight
    fishfoodfight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. It had honestly never occurred to me that I would be getting too much protein, so I was surprised to see MFP telling me that I was over. I'll adjust my macros.
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    from what my nutritionist and doctor have explained to me, more than 35% coming from protein regularly can be harmful to your kidneys overtime regardless of if you have experienced kidney problems. They compared it to alcohol and the liver. Once in a while will not cause as many (if any) harm to your liver as if you regularly binge drink -- just like once in a while will not cause as many (if any) harm to your kidneys if you consume too much protein.
    The key is moderation for ALL foods, not just foods that are deemed "bad" or "unhealthy"
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    from what my nutritionist and doctor have explained to me, more than 35% coming from protein regularly can be harmful to your kidneys overtime regardless of if you have experienced kidney problems. They compared it to alcohol and the liver. Once in a while will not cause as many (if any) harm to your liver as if you regularly binge drink -- just like once in a while will not cause as many (if any) harm to your kidneys if you consume too much protein.
    The key is moderation for ALL foods, not just foods that are deemed "bad" or "unhealthy"

That's not at all true. There's various reasons to not consume too much protein (mainly because it's not necessary for anything), but it being dangerous isn't one of them.
  • wallacehk
    Options
    How do I change my macros?
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Animal based protein is much more dangerous than plant based protein. This is from Dr. Colin Campbell. I'm currently working on following 80-10-10. So far I've gone down a couple sizes but I'm not weighing myself for three months. I have so much energy I want to exercise and wake up feeling better than I've ever felt.
    You may want to also read about Dr Neal Barnard, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr Dean Ornish, or Dr Joel Furhman.
  • katmcguire68
    Options
    Go to Goals-customize-adjust calories and/percentages.

Currently doing Lyle Mcdonalds Rapid Fat Loss and my protein requirements at 120lbs LBM (I actually weigh 202) came in at 120 grams daily. I lift weights 2x/week otherwise I would use my lean body weight x .8g/lb
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I aim to get about 100-130 grams of protein a day. Protein is filling and delicious and I say (unless your doctor tells you to limit it for a specific health reason) eat ALL THE PROTEIN! :drinker: