what to do about shabbos??

Options
I'm a yeshiva guy. Therefore, I'm subject to eat the food that the yeshiva cook makes or to eat the food that my host makes (for when I eat out of yeshiva). Making/buying my own food is not really an option. Obviously I will try to limit what I eat from what's available but its very hard when I'm not cooking my own food. What do I do? Also, how do I log stuff like kigel, chulent etc?

Replies

• workoutqueen628
    Options
    I feel for you, I'm jewish too. Judaism is all about food!! Lol, it's hard to be on a diet and be jewish, but it is possible. I would say for you, log your calories on here diligently during the week and when shabbos comes around, don't worry about keeping track of your calorie intake. That being said, that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch what you eat. Try to got for the veggies, salads, and protein before you hit the kougel and all the carb-filled entrees/desserts....do your best. Definitely drink a lot of water and exercise when you have the time! Good luck!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Those foods are so loaded with fat, I avoid them. If you have to eat the traditional stuff, then stick to super small portions of kugel and challah and eat some cholent. I don't particularly like it, but as far as the traditional stuff goes, its not so bad for you. Even it all out with lighter dinner and seuda shli****. I know it's hard, I cook everything myself and try to eat put as little as possible to maintain control.

Good luck!
  • lbrossano
    lbrossano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Logging stuff like cholent, etc. If you can get the recipe, you can enter all the ingredients and other info into a recipe calculator that calculates nutritional info, then add the food to the database in myfitnesspal. I use this recipe calculator:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. It's free.

About not being able to do your own cooking or shopping.... it's all about portion control.
    Good luck
  • joleanrook
    Options
    That's a tough one to answer but a good question. I'm assuming you follow shabbat pretty strictly?
    Is cooking or preparing your own food the day before not an option for you? Also, wouldn't fasting on Saturdays fix the problem all together? I'd have to know more about your particular shabbos eating style to make any kind of recommendations, are you dairy pareve?

Lastly, as far as kugel & cholent go you may want to "create a new food" when you add that to your diary for the first time. Look up a recipe for it (or ask the person preparing it for their recipe) and then add in the nutritional info when you create the food. There is a good tool for this in the "Recipes" section... or if you only know the calories then do a "Quick add-calories" when adding a new food to the diary.

Here are two recipes:

Kugel
    http://kosherfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/p/kugel.htm

Cholent
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/moms-authentic-kosher-cholent-recipe/Detail.aspx

I hope that helps, also here are some good Kosher supplements:
    http://www.dietdirect.com/kosher-diet-foods-supplements-34.html

Remember, vegetables are always a good option to pick from... and just go easy on the Challah!
    :heart: Da lifnei mi atah omed!!!!:heart:

Jolean
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Shabbos is my day off in that I don't count though I do make it a point to not stuff myself. I also get in more exercise.

After both dinner and lunch I make sure to take a nice nature walk. Sometimes I'll take my sons to the local park which is a mile one way and other times we'll explore the neighborhood.
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    wouldn't fasting on Saturdays fix the problem all together?

It is forbidden to fast on shabbat ... there are a few exceptions like Yom Kippur but dietary reasons is certainly not one of them.
  • joleanrook
    Options
    wouldn't fasting on Saturdays fix the problem all together?

It is forbidden to fast on shabbat ... there are a few exceptions like Yom Kippur but dietary reasons is certainly not one of them.

That is why I asked how strictly HE stuck to shabbat. On the flip side of that you say:
    I also get in more exercise.
    That's not exactly resting.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Shabbos isn't as much about rest as it is about not working. I often say that the peson that calls it a day of rest must be a man. Lol. I'm usually on my feet most of Saturday bc of the kid and having big meals and cleaning up after the meals. And I also do about 30-60 min of walking on shabbos too.
  • joleanrook
    Options
    Yes, the person who called it a day of rest was a "man"... I believe His name was GOD. :wink:
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a little lost on the vocabulary, but I can relate. I'm Methodist, and its pretty much eat, pray, eat, sing, eat some more, tell a few tasteful jokes, pray, eat. My Mom's wedding was really informal and we still ate 3 times! I just try and take smaller portions. And I use my son's trick and move food around with my fork to make it look like I ate more. When its only one day a week, I call it my cheat day.
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    oh challah how I miss you.... low carb is a challenge but there are always veggies and protien and I choose to eat these... bue seriously why did you have to remind me of such a delicious treat...
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I also get in more exercise.
    That's not exactly resting.

The commandment is to refrain from work and exercise doesn't necessarily fit into that category.

Walking to schul can sometimes be considered an incredibly strenuous workout (especially in the summers) but is considered a higher level of observance than one who drives (which is illegal if you're Orthodox). For the most part, you can even lift weights on shabbat without going against any rabbinic law (as long as it's within your home or eruv).

Taking nature walks is perfectly within the realm of both the law and spirit of the law.

There are some laws that have more wiggle room among the more liberal movements (like the mechitza or driving to schul) but as far as I know, fasting is among the bigger indiscretions.
    Yes, the person who called it a day of rest was a "man"... I believe His name was GOD.
    ROFL, I don't think I have ever considered shabbos a "day of rest".

I wonder if there's a midrash on what Adam and Eve did to observe shabbos. I suppose they would have had to pluck all their food for the following day, hehe.
  • Marycan2
    Marycan2 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your posts! We as a family are committed to being TORAH observant, but not considered Jewish. And the Shabbos is an issue I've run into on my weight management journey. Challah being my biggest weakness I've found! HaShem will bless this journey I feel if I exercise control over my eating, but not count calories or ounces or any of that on the Shabbos. Hopefully the blessing will be still losing weight!!!! One day out of 7 shouldn't be able to derail me...I hope that it won't! Oh, I forgot to mention...I've only been on MFP for one week!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes, the person who called it a day of rest was a "man"... I believe His name was GOD. :wink:
    You mean G-d right?

Anyways hello fellow Jews... I am not observant of shabbos except I refuse to practice violin on it. However I am kosher to moderate standards. Eating away from home on shabbos is super hard. Basically I think it is about balancing appreciation of the food with respect for your bodies NEED rather than greed. You should allow yourself whatever you want but in the amount that your bodies requires only. For one day per week this will not cause real harm. If you feel you might cause offence to your hosts, you should explain in advance that you are trying to respect your body by losing weight for your health, and that this is how you will be achieving it. They will understand.

There is no law to pig out on challah and eat in a way that disrespects your body. Actually the kosher requirements when followed in a non-kosher environment can aid weight loss in my experience! If you are fortunate enough to live in Israel then you need to continuously remind yourself that bodily respect and restraint are vital for a clear mind to serve Hashem. End of.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    the Rabbi's wife at the Chabad i used to go to on Shabbos would always laugh at the ratios of salad/veggies/soup i would eat to the amount of cholen and kugel and desert. at first she thought i didn't like it, but once i explained i was trying to eat healthy she laughed and promised to always have a veggie for me.
    also ask if it would be possible to have some vegetarian dishes? my chabad was at a college campus so they were very open to student lifestyle and input- i know Yeshivas aren't quite like that but no harm in suggesting.

you also could do what others suggested and have a bit of everything you want in moderation, you will probably go over your intake, but at least you enjoyed the food.