Ideas for veggie dinner with lot of protein

Options
Hey people!
What is your favorite recipe for a vegetarian dinner with lots of protein and little carbs?

Replies

• Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating light I like salad---taco salad with corn/bell pepper/onion trio sautéed up with a tad of olive oil, toss in black beans.. Serve over a couple cups lettuce with a few crushed tortilla chips and cheese and salsa.

I also like a Mediterranean salad with cooked lentils, roasted red peppers, hummus (or toasted pine nuts), black olives and goat cheese over lettuce....toss with just a little Italian dressing to coat.

I'll also make a veggie Cobb salad, with hard boiled eggs and bacos and cheese, not as often but it's fast in a pinch. With carrots and a little green onion and honey mustard dressing.

Sometimes I'll make breakfast, 3 egg white plus 1 egg omelette with sautéed spinach and green onions, with goat cheese if I have it, so melty. Serve with fruit.

Hope this helps!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    love veggies but just getting bored with the same old same old lol... so bumping to get more ideas! :bigsmile:
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use some of the meat replacements, like Quorn or Morningstar and say Im making Spaghetti Bolognaise for the family I make for me too but use the meat replacement. Same with Chilli, Tacos or Burritos. Also try using tofu and add to your meals, you can get the smoked tofu that has quite a nice taste.
    There are a lot of recipes online to, so take a look and see if you can find anything you like the look of.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey people!
    What is your favorite recipe for a vegetarian dinner with lots of protein and little carbs?

Not sure how you're going to have a vegetarian dinner with little carbs, veggies are mostly carbs
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    a few years ago a number of my immediate family members were diagnosed with diabetes. after spending a lot of time testing her blood sugar after meals my mom learned that eating white rice and pasta dishes were more likely to spike her blood sugar than a slice of cake. i didn't want to go down that same road so i started taking measures to control my carb intake a bit, which took some practice as a vegetarian. one thing to bear in mind is that carbs are not "bad" for you and there is no reason to try and limit them completely. so i'm not sure how low carb you have in mind, but if you mean preparing meals that don't necessarily revolve around entirely around rice and pasta there are quite a few options. i usually try to choose the carbs that provide a fair amount of fiber and are lower on the glycemic index.

* eggplant or zucchini parmesan style dish with a "meat" sauce made from soy crumbles
    * taco salad is yummy
    * falafel, hummus, and tabbouleh
    * open faced sandwich (one slice of bread instead of two) on whole grain bread. i do this with burgers sometimes as well.
    * chili
    * stir fry with veggies and tofu in a peanut sauce
    * banana & pb shake with protein powder
    * if you eat eggs there are tons of options - omelettes and frittatas for instance

that's what i can think of off the top of my head :)
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    nothing valuable to say except YUMMMM
  • breanazank
    Options
    These are great!!
    (courtesy of THUG KITCHEN. Edited to make it less offensive with F-bombs, lol)
    http://thugkitchen.com/

**CHICKPEA PESTO SANDWICH
    Pesto:
    1 ¼ cup torn, packed basil leaves
    1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon lemon zest
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 ounce can)
    1 carrot

Put all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and blend until smooth-ish. No food processor? Chill out. Just put the almonds in a plastic bag and smash them until they are tiny and chop the rest of that **** up super small too. Mix all of it together with a fork until it looks like a paste.

Mash up the chickpeas in a medium bowl so that they kind of look like a paste but some chunks of bean are all good. Grate the carrot into the bowl and mix that **** together with the chickpea paste. Add about a ⅓ cup of the pesto and stir until everything is coated then taste. Maybe you like more pesto than me, I don’t know. Add some more until your *kitten* is happy with it. Grab some of your favorite sammie ingredients and add SANDWICH ARTIST to your resume.

Makes 3 legit sandwiches

**SMOKEY BEAN AND SPINACH SLIDERS
    2 cups chopped fresh spinach
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 cups cooked kidney beans or 2-15 ounce can
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice (use leftovers)
    4 cloves of garlic, chopped all small and ****
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke (like I said, it is near the BBQ sauce at the store I swear. You haven’t even looked yet so stop complaining. It is there)
    2 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
    1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
    black pepper to taste

1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (any breadcrumbs you have are fine. Got nothing? Just toast up some bread until it is almost burnt looking and real dry then grate them ****s or put them in a food processor to get some tiny crumbs. They help soak up all the liquid so don’t leave this out)

Warm the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a large baking sheet. You can throw down some foil and then grease it if you are a lazy like me and hate doing dishes.

Add the spinach and onion to a food processor and pulse until they are in tiny pieces. Add the kidney beans, rice, garlic, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and seasonings and pulse until everything is all mixed up. It’s fine if a few larger pieces of the beans hang around but you want this looking like kinda paste-like. Place the bean-spinach mixture into a medium bowl and add in the breadcrumbs. This should be slightly sticky and hold nicely when you form it into a ball. If it is too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Taste it and add more spices and whatever until it tastes good to you. Can’t do that **** with ground beef.

No food processor? It’s all good. Just cut up the spinach and the onion extra tiny and add everything but breadcrumbs to a big bowl. Now pound on that **** until it looks like chunky mash potatoes. Then add the breadcrumbs and do all the other **** I say above.
    Divide the mixture into 16 patties if you are making sliders or 8 patties if you are making regular burgers. Whatever you want to do. Place them on the baking sheet, spray them lightly with oil (slow your roll, I said LIGHTLY) and bake for 15 minutes or until the bottom is a crispy golden brown. Flip the patties and bake for 15 or until both sides look awesome. If you are doing full size burgers you might need to let the sides go 5 extra minutes. Let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Pile them high with red onion, avocado, whatever additional deliciousness you’ve got and chow down.

Makes 16 sliders or 8 regular patties

**ROASTED CHICKPEA & BROCCOLI BURRITO
    3 cups of cooked chickpeas (2-15 ounce cans, drained)
    1 large yellow onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 large crown of broccoli
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 lime

Spice Blend:
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1-2 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari, or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (You can usually find this old school hippie **** near the vinegars or soy sauces in the healthy eating section of most big grocery stores and on the internet)
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or more cumin if you don’t want to go to the store
    black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Chop up the onion, bell pepper, and broccoli so that all the pieces about the size of a chickpea. Chop up the garlic real small but save that **** until later. Place all the chopped up veggies in a large bowl with the cooked chickpeas. Pour in the oil and soy sauce, stir, and then throw all the spices in there. Mix until all the vegetables and **** are covered.

Put all of that on a large rimmed baking sheet (like what you would put cookies on but with an edge) and bake for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven, don’t burn yourself, add the garlic, and bake for another 15 minutes. The broccoli will look a little burnt at this point but that is the plan so chill out and take it out of the oven. Squeeze the juice of half of the lime over the pan and stir the roasted chickpeas and veggies all around. Taste some and see if it needs more spices or anything. Now make a ****ing burrito. I like mine with spinach, avocado, cilantro, and some fire roasted salsa but you do your thing.

makes 6-8 burritos

**SWEET POTATO AND PINTO BEAN TACOS
    3 cups of cooked pinto beans (about 2-15 ounce cans)
    1 teaspoons of coconut or olive oil (whatever you already have)
    ½ cup veggie broth or water
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika or chili powder
    2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (this has a bunch of ****ing iron in it and is near the maple syrup at the store)
    2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
    2-3 garlic cloves

1 pound of sweet potatoes (this should be about 2 cups when you chop it all up)

½ of a yellow onion

1 teaspoon coconut or olive oil

salt to taste

soft corn tortillas*

whatever toppings you got

Warm the first teaspoon of oil in a medium pot. Add the beans, broth, smoked paprika, molasses, vinegar, and garlic. Get it to start bubbling slowly for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.

Chop up the sweet potato and onion so they are about the size of a pinto bean so you’re not taking any confusing bites. Warm up the oil in a large skillet or big-*kitten* pan and add the onion and sweet potato. Cook them until the onion is getting brown and the sweet potato softens up. Add the beans and whatever broth is still in that other pot you already forgot about. Cook this mixture on a medium heat until the potatoes are soft enough for you. This should take 5-8 minutes. If it starts to look dry, add some water. Add salt to taste but don’t go freaking crazy.

I served my tacos topped with lime juice, shredded lettuce, radishes, white onion, green onions, and jalapenos but add the **** you like.

Makes 8 tacos

*to avoid GMO corn, buy organic

**BLACK BEAN AND CILANTRO PESTO WRAP
    1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped, about 2 cups
    2/3 cup slivered almonds
    2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon lemon zest (just grate the skin of the lemon on the smallest side of your grater, calm the **** down)
    ¼ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup vegetable broth or water

Put all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and blend until sorta smooth. No food processor? Before I had one I’d just put the almonds in a bag and smash them until they are tiny and chop the rest of that **** up super small too. Mix all of it together with a fork until it looks like a paste.

This recipe makes about 1 cup of goddamn delicious pesto. I like about ¼ cup of it for every 1 ½ cups of beans. For the lazy *kitten*, one 15-ounce can of black beans is about 1 ½ cups. Just mix the beans together with the pesto and wrap that up with whatever vegetables you have like: cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, avocado, corn, you get the idea. Add salsa or lime juice if you want.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know if vegetarians can eat eggs (i'm sure if you don't you could use an egg replacement!) but here's one of my favorite things for breakfast or dinner:

http://www.idowhatiwantthor.com/2013/04/breakfast-for-dinner.html
  • dlucio1
    dlucio1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yum.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I'm uncreative and lazy.

I throw some organic tofu in a bowl of organic greens, drizzle olive oil, squeeze lemon, toss and...

Voila!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my protein go-to. I cook it in vegetable broth, stir fry my favorite vegetables, and mix it all together. Sometimes I add a little tempeh for variety.
  • wandachinaski
    Options
    Bumping for later.....I'll have to check out Thug Kitchen, that post made me laugh!
  • curlygurly206
    Options
    yes I had that for dinner today was really good! I made almost like a quinoa "fried rice" sauté veggies, soy sauce Green onion and tofu scramble and boom ! "fried rice"...
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    a friend just posted this - looks pretty promising - and Yummy!

30 Delicious Vegan Meals You Can Make In Under 30 Minutes
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/easy-vegan-recipes
  • Funky_Mabel
    Funky_Mabel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cows are vegetarian and I like to eat cows
  • Funky_Mabel
    Funky_Mabel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't eat vegetarians they have a bitter after taste
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member