Looking for fellow literature buffs!

Options
Hi! So there are two things I'm trying to do with my life:

1) lose weight
2) read more books

Honestly. I have an English degree, and a part-time job. There should be NO excuse why I'm not using this time to read whatever I want after not having any time to do so for the past four years. Should we start a little book club? Talk about what we're reading?

Right now I'm trying to juggle both CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES and INVISIBLE MAN. One is funny, and the other is hypnotizing. How about you? Any readers in the house?

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You should really have a look at Terry Pratchett if you like comedies. Neil Gaiman is also one of my absolute favorite writers.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Love to read! I'm reading Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I love to read. I am a fan of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Iris Johansson, Lee Childs, JD Robbs, James Patterson... I am currently reading The Twelve by Justin Cronin. I could read all day long and be perfectly content.
  • CookingBlues
    Options
    I LOVE TO READ! I am always looking for new authors to add to the mix, but here are some of mine:
    Deborah Harkness (Discovery of Witches and sequel Shadow of Night)
    PAtricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series)
    Chelsea Cain (thriller detective novels: start with Heartsick)
    Darynda Jones (Charley DAvidson series)
    I liked Dan Brown, but am fighting to get through the latest book: Inferno. Not sure why I don't like it as much as the other RObert Langdon novels..

21192758.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

There are many biblio-holics on this site --- if you go to Groups you'll find several groups devoted to books and reading. I myself am a compulsive reader - and like you I often am reading 2 or more at the same time. Currently: HG Wells 'War of the Worlds'; Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series again (on book 5); and Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series (on book 2) Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    School librarian here! Most of what I read is kid-lit/YA lit. :)
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You should really have a look at Terry Pratchett if you like comedies. Neil Gaiman is also one of my absolute favorite writers.

^^This

Have you read Neil's latest yet?
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Fellow Bookworm here. I won't even attempt to list my favorite authors because I truly have so many. I like different genres and have pretty eclectic tastes but always stay in fiction. Non-fiction, and biographies and such I don't do much of if at all.
  • dayleparks
    dayleparks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Let's be friends! Confederacy of Dunces in my top 10 all-time favorites list. Brilliant writing. I am currently savoring every page of Ken Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion." Starting a group for literature lovers on this site is an inspired idea!
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Currently reading all of discworld!

OP, I also recommend Terry :)
  • _orlando
    Options
    I love reading as well! I've read both those books - two of my favourites :) Right now I'm reading Money by Émile Zola: I'm working my way through his 20 book series Les Rougon Macquarts - Money is the 18th on the list :)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

^^This

Have you read Neil's latest yet?

Is that The Ocean at the end of the Lane? I have it but haven't started. I'm so back logged with reading material and it's only gonna get worse when he starts up his Sandman run again.
  • Robyn0letair
    Options
    Reading is my addiction! I love the idea of a book club. I'm reacquainting myself with the works of Eric Jerome ****ey at present. I feel a friend request coming on
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Great topic for a thread. I drive over an hour to work so I listen to most of the books I get. I enjoy most thrillers and am currently listening to the Ambler Warning by Ludlum and may download a few more of his. Have listened to all the Jack Reacher Series and some James Cross series also. I like the idea of a book club on MFP.
  • alliana07
    alliana07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love reading! Right now most of my reading is for my SciFi class; just finished War of the Worlds, and now I'm reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley (not a fan so far, blech). But I also have the new Jack Reacher novel (by Lee Child) next to me, for some nice action distraction.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Confederacy of Dunces has been sitting on my bookshelf for quite a while, just haven't gotten to it yet. I read fiction across all the genres. I generally have at least three going at one time. One e-book, one audio book and one hard copy book. I have learned to keep the genres mixed while juggling though, otherwise I mix up the storylines, lol.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Me, me! I'm in my last year of my English degree so I'm still in that "reading for school, not for pleasure" phase you mentioned. However, I do enjoy most of the books I end up reading for school. And I read a lot of books I love on my spare time. I love the idea of a book club or whatever on MFP.

I'm currently reading A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller - first SciFi book I've ever read and I love it) as well as The Moonstone (Wilkie Collins - first ever detective mystery book written - a little dry, but interesting!)

For pleasure I'm reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. I'm a journalist so I love non-fiction. I highly recommend this book. A lot of you Americans probably already know the story. I drove down to Georgia last spring and saw Mercer House so I've been wanting to read the book since.