Foot Pain

Options
Ok. I am the type person that if I stop doing something for any amount of time I will never go back to it. Here is my delimna. Back early this year, I broke the heel bone of my left foot. I wore the boot (ugh) for 3 months until it finally healed. Once that healed, I got a shot for the plantar fascitis and everything was grand. Since I have started to exercise it was doing fine, until.......... I ran after my 3 year old niece. The next day it hurt. As things have gone on, I have noticed it is hurting more, not the pf hurt, but more of a "OH crap I have broke that bone again" hurt.

Now here is my dilimina. If I stop exercising, I will never go back. I know this for fact because I have done this many many many times and that is why I have failed in losing weight. Can anyone give me an idea of some exercises or machines at a gym that I could do that would not put weight on my foot. I am doing PIYO Zumba and just being very careful on how I use that foot. I do wrap it up in a brace and doing my walking.

Any suggestions????? I will join a gym for the duration of this if I need to to not put pressure and excess weight on this foot to work out.

Replies

• lcglog
    lcglog Posts: 24
    Options
    Hello...I swear those boots are torture treatment!!!:tongue: I broke a bone in my foot and spent 3 months in one of those lovely things.:laugh: I totally understand where you are coming from as I take it easy when that bone hurts...but if I stop working out...I won't go back (I have enough trouble staying motivated!).

Anyway, if you have access to a gym try some of these: Rowing machine (great for legs, arms, back - you sit on your butt and your feet aren't really used), Bikes (I know you just thought DOH - put the ball of your foot on the pedal and that will give your heel a break), eleptical...your heel is still working but not getting the full pounding of a treadmill or aerobic workout. Also, don't forget to work out your arms and legs with some strength training...that will help build muscles and may help your heel. Meanwhile you are building muscles that will keep your metabolism up and make your workouts post heel pain easier.

If you are at home...perhaps a balance ball? Again weights...my aunt uses gallon buckets of paint to lift with her legs and arms to help get muscle strength. A bike...in the fall weather...nothing is better than a cool day and a ride on your bike.

Don't forget the tricks your doctor gave you when you broke the heel....epson salt baths and I know the boot sucks but if it really hurts...try stablizing it for a day to let it heal. :flowerforyou: