Exercises for a Desk Job?

Options
I'm sure I'm one of hundreds of thousands of people who sit in a chair for 7 hours a day.... any tips on some sneaky desk exercises that will really get the muscles working? ...or even the heart rate up?!

Replies

• carrotstick
    Options
    I'm sure I'm one of hundreds of thousands of people who sit in a chair for 7 hours a day.... any tips on some sneaky desk exercises that will really get the muscles working? ...or even the heart rate up?!
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i have this problem too! instead of emailing/calling ppl at the office, i try to get up and walk to whereever i need to go. im def. open to suggestions!
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    I have a great little thing under my desk. I think it is called a pedal pusher. I bought it on eBay. It's like a stepper but it is used while you are sitting down. It has a counter on it and everything. It really works good for burning calories.
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    these are great suggestions! thanks for asking the question. Getting up and walking is a really good idea, cause we've installed Yahoo Messanger here at work to aid our laziness!:bigsmile:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    One of my major problems is my tummy so I do like lil crunch like things where I do reps of tightening the muscles, holding a few seconds and releasing. It's not much but it something. I also have seen several people get up and walk around our office complex on their lunch. I keep forgetting to bring shoes other than heels to keep here but when I remember I'm going to start doing lil walks like them
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    My problem area is my tummy too. Sitting a desk for 7-8 hours a day can really play havoc on you hips to. I work in a nursing home so I do get up and walk some but not to count as exercise. These are some great ideas! Thanks for asking the question!
    Rhonda
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Use your chair for exercises (tricep curl, lunges with leg up, push ups, etc) Good luck!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ask if you may bring in an exercise ball. Replace your desk chair with the ball, and you will spend all day working on core (back & abs) strength without trying. It sounds easy, but after a while you will notice the difference!
  • divalovesyou1
    Options
    YES!! I love that you brought up this question!!:love:

I too, have problems with the tummy.... I love the ball suggestion (in place of the chair)

Kudos to all of the suggestions!! :wink:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    i wonder if getting angry with coworkers and vendors burns calories. I f so I have already burned a 1000 in 2 hours. :grumble: :grumble: :explode: :explode:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Ask if you may bring in an exercise ball. Replace your desk chair with the ball, and you will spend all day working on core (back & abs) strength without trying. It sounds easy, but after a while you will notice the difference!

Ever seen the episode of "The Office" where Dwight replaces his chair with an exercise ball and proceeds to bounce around to annoy Jim? Jim asks how much the ball costs (so he can pay him for it) and stabs the ball with a pair of scissors. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously :huh:
    Does anyone on here actually sit on an exercise ball?
    Do most companies allow it?
    Will my boss think I'm a nut job if I ask to do this?
    Will my coworkers steal my "chair" and play keep-away? :laugh:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to be an athletic trainer, so I'm always on different pieces of rehab equipment (ball, bike, wobble boards, etc). I recommended it because we have many students who have replaced their dorm room desk chairs with swiss balls. I suppose it would depend on your boss & co-workers. Are they supportive of your efforts? If not, maybe they should be! :flowerforyou:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I work with a gal who sits on an exercise ball all day long. Doesn't even have an office chair in her office (except for guests). And, trust me, if you saw her figure, it would inspire you to want an exercise ball as your office chair!
    11519.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter