Upping protein without shakes...Help a girl out, will ya? :)

Options
124»

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Fish, seafood, chicken, feta cheese and lean meats.

So far today I've had breakfast and lunch at 945 cals and 90g of protein.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    AM Meal ( I blend this with ICE in blender) It's

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal - Oatmeal, 1/2 cup dry
    Breakstone's - 2% Milkfat Lowfat Cottage Cheese- Small Curd 124 g,
    Skippy Natural - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 tablespoons
    Hood - Calorie Countdown-2% Chocolate Milk, 8 ounces

517 Cals
    45g Carbs
    27g Fat
    29g Protein

Second Meal

Kirkland Signature - Chicken Breast, Boneless & Skinless (Frozen - Individually Wrapped) , 4 oz
    Great Value-Walmart Brand - Frozen Cut Broccoli - Boiled, 1 cup

140 Cals
    4g carbs
    2g Fat
    27g Pro

Lunch (This is basically a chilli I make)
    Harris Teeter - Ground Turkey - 7% Fat, 4 oz
    Goya - Dark Red Kidney Beans, 1/2 cup

250 Cals
    18g Carbs
    9g Fat
    29g Protein

3rd Meal (I blend this in the morning and put it in a shaker to bring to work for a 3:30 PM snack)

Wyman's - Wild Blueberries, Fresh Frozen, 0.5 cup
    Kirkland Signature - Plain & Fat Free Greek Yogurt, 116 g
    Silk - Vanilla Soy Milk - Light, 240 ml
    Crystal Farms All Whites - 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 6 tbsp
    1 Tsp of Stevia
    .5 Tsp of Cinnamon

216 Cals
    20g Carbs
    2g Fats
    28g Protein

Din Din
    Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato), 1 cup 1
    Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Wild Alaskan Pacific Cod Fillets, 6 oz.

320 Cals
    41g Carbs
    1g Fats
    34g Protein

Extra or late night before bed (I blend this in the blender with Water, Ice and sometimes baby spinach)
    Crystal Farms All Whites - 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 6 tbsp
    Breakstone's - 2% Milkfat Lowfat Cottage Cheese- Small Curd 124 g,
    Kasha Go Lean Corrected - High Protein & High Fiber Cereal , 0.5 cup
    1 Tsp Stevia
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

210 Cals
    20g Carbs
    4g Fats
    27g Protein

Totals for the day

1653 Cals
    148g Carbs
    45g Fats
    174g Protein

Obviously that's more than 160...so you there is a lot of wiggle room to adjust
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had a killer pumpkin smoothie this morning. 0% fat Greek Yogurt, pumpkin puree, honey, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice. 17g protein, mmmmmm :D
    Thanks for the idea. I am gonna try this. I love pumpkin in the fall!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • april1445
    Options
    NOW nutrition has a whey protein that has not sweeteners etc. That's what I use. Also, hemp hearts are a great source of nutrients, just high in fat like seeds and nuts are. Chicken breast, and tuna. also, bump for great recipe ideas on here.:smile:
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association produced a report by the Board of the Institute of Medicine to determine optimal intake of the macronutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Regarding protein intake, they determined the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for those 18 years of age and older was 0.8 g of protein per kilogram body weight per day. In plain English, this means .36 grams per pound of body weight.

It was also noted the dietary guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Governmental programs, such as the school lunch program for children and Meals on Wheels for elderly persons, use the .36 grams/pound/day as well. Same for dietary guidelines published in the dietetic literature, the popular press, and various nutritional computer programs - a recommend protein intake of .36 grams/pound/day.

In example, a 190 pound person would need only 68.4 grams of protein per day. That requirement could be met by ingesting a 4 ounce skinless chicken breast, half a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, and half a cup of crushed walnuts in one day.

Any more protein than this is likely to be superflous - but if you want energy you could do no better than eating starch. Potatoes contain all the vitamins and minerals needed - because they are the storage system of the plant. Likewise with rice

Are you measuring your carb intake? This may deserve your attention
  • charcharhaver
    Options
    I NEVER take protein supplements or dink shakes. Not a fan, and prefer eating "whole" foods. I'm a vegetarian and used to struggle to get enough protein (at least 100g/day was recommended by my physician). But now I just make sure that almost everything in my diet is protein optimized:

Quinoa (instead of rice)
    Eggs (scrambles fro breakfast, add a few eggs to a to a stir fry dish, etc.)
    Legumes (with almost every meal)
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese

I try to get at least 10g protein per meal/snack and never eat more than 20g protein at a time.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    OK you guys fooled me. These Quest bars are gross! I bought one of each flavor. Got into the apple pie one last night and it was like eating apple scented silly putty. The coconut cashew I'm gnawing on right now is like coconut scented rubber with pencil shavings in it. I'm hoping I just happened to pick the two worst flavors to start with, LOL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a paleo guy, I don't mind the fat. In fact, it helps me. But I also only do uncured bacon..,.

Bacon isn't paleo. Or even primal, for that matter.

Uncured bacon is actually salt pork. No such thing as uncured bacon.