Heart Rate Monitors/Calorie Counter

Jess0218
Jess0218 Posts: 138
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question for you all. I bought a calorie counter/HRMonitor from walmart that I wear and it allows me to put in my age/sex/etc and it allows me to check my heart rate durin workout and tracks calories burned. It's by sportline in case anyone wants to know.
Anywho, i've been using it for a few months and it seems accurate to me. A friend popped by today tho and they think that maybe I should go by what the calories burned are in the excercise that are listed where you can put how many minutes and it calculates how many calories. The thing w/ that is I dont do the exact excercises that are listed. Like the walking briskly at 4.5 speed. When I do that on my treadmill, I do intervals and will walk fast for a bit, then walk fast at an incline then run at a higher speed. Soooo my ? to you all is do you think my watch would be more accurate for me compared to what they have on here? I constantly check my heart rate when im working out so it stays caught up as well.

Anywho, thanks in advance for anyone willing to share some advice about this. :happy:

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    your HRM is going to be definately more accurate than this webpage
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    The HRM! I can enter that I walked 4.0 mph for 60 minutes but this site has no idea that my neighborhood is uphill both ways and it's 95 degrees here and not 25 degrees. ALL factors.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    oh for sure...there is no way i burn 600 calories on the stationary bike...so i got one of the fitness trainers at the gym to measure my heart rate and it turns out i'm only burning 160 calories at the gym...use your HRM
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    The calculations here are an estimate. Defiantly go by why your HRM says that is WAY more accurate.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Lol @ the predictable responses in favour of the HRM! It too is just an estimate. And no more accurate an estimate than any website you come across!
  • Jess0218
    WOW! Thanks to all of you for this feedback! :) I feel much better now :) I was worried I wasnt burning anything after talkin to this friend of mine. Thanks bunches friends :)
  • Jess0218
    Well I do think it's much more reliable then the website being I can input my weight, height, sex and age into this calorie counter watch I wear and constantly check my heart rate :)
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    i would rather under estimate than over estimate--so I go with what the HRM says..

I justed tested it today actually. I usually go running (jogging) for appx 35 minutes and i type in speed 5.2 (i think i go faster than that, but the next option up is definitely too fast) MFP says I burn 360. So today I did my same run but with my HRM and it took me 45 minutes to burn the same amount!!! So i chose to trust the HRM and say I burned less, when maybe i did infact burn more, but this way I wont eat back too many extra calories because MFP says i burned more-- make sense? I think I rambled a bit, but you get the gist :wink:
  • carbonboy
    carbonboy Posts: 729
    @ DJH510: Yes, they ARE all estimates, but I think what she's saying is that the exercises listed don't match what she is actually doing. Like if she walked for ten minutes, did some pullups, ran for 5 minutes, skipped rope for 10 minutes...it would be hard to estimate that using the website lists. That's where the HRM would be the more useful, and accurate measure.

By the way, I'm a bicycle racer and I ride everyday wearing a HRM. The number it spits out is almost always VERY near what the websites generally predict for calories burned based on percieved intensity.

I just think for her varied workouts, the HRM is the better choice.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Use your device and I am sure it is accurate. The machines at the gym are not accurate and so it's best if you have something on your body to tell you. In some cases less is more like the treadmill. The incline you burn way less than you do with no incline. The bike is accurate if you don't us resistance. The eliptical is pretty accurate. I wear the body bugg from 24 hr fitness and that is how I found out what was accurate and what was not accurate.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    HRM is way more accurate because it is checking YOUR heart rate. You can also add your own exercise to track with your calories burned.
This discussion has been closed.