Help Please: I want to lose 25 Pounds by December

Options
2»

Replies

• Phayble
    Options
    I wouldn't eat peanutbutter sandwhiches

Why is that? I know certain brands are worse than others but I've always been told peanut butter is high in protein? Plus I use whole grain bread with a little bit of honey. I would imagine with a normal workout routine as well that it wouldn't be harmful to my body.
  • Phayble
    Options
    It's not going to happen, sorry. Any diet that will make you lose that fast (unless you have 100 lb to lose or something) won't be sustainable or recommended, and you'll probably gain all the weight back and then some...

Your pessimism is a good motivator. I always love to be told that I can't do something, it just makes me do it.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why that date in particular?
    I think setting dates that are not all that far off are bad in the grand scheme of things. If you lost 10lbs by then instead of 25, it could put you off.
    I have a similar skin issue to you, but it seems to affect me when I'm still (in a hot shower, sitting down in a hot room, etc). For some reason it doesn't flare up if I'm really moving. As long as my temperature is steadily rising, I'm fine.

The greatest help for me has been mixing cardio with strength training. I do strength training 2 times per week, and cardio 3x.
    On strength training days I do just about everything, from free weights to push-ups, planks to bicycle crunches, squats/plie squats to wall sits, etc. I just make sure to get all my large muscle groups.
    On cardio days the majority of the time is spent running (30 minutes) and the remaining 10 minutes on the elliptical.
    In terms of weight loss, cardio has done the most for me, but strength training has kept me proportionate.

However, all of that is irrelevant if you're not in a calorie deficit. My TDEE is 2900, but I eat 1600 a day. I lose weight slower than other people (typically it used to be 1lbs per week) but lose inches quite quickly. I started on September 1st and have lost 12lbs and 22cm from my body.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    When you go on a hard-core diet your body uses it's cheap and easy energy store, glycogen, first. Unfortunately, glycogen stores in the body bound to 4 times its' own weight in water.

So what you lose is 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. Not even fat. There's no fat in this equation - a simple sugar in its ready to use form, and water.

That's why sudden crash diets are so utterly disappointing. The moment you stop your body replenishes this 'fast food' store, because it's a very necessary thing for your body to have.

After the initial incredibly huge weight loss, start counting from there. The original huge loss will go straight back on when you eat normally again. But the weight you lose between those two events will probably be a respectable percentage fat, and if you keep exercising, not very much muscle.

:)

You need to work out what foods you are willing to eat, and then start planning your diaries. People say peanut butter is bad because you can power through the calories faster than you can say 'what the heck?' A peanut butter sandwich is over 400 cals.

If you're on a 1200 cal a day diet, that's a third of your calories right there, and if you look at the protein stats you'll see it's a very high fat way to get protein. Compare an ounce of peanut butter to an ounce of chicken breast. :)
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm new here and looking for ways to shed weight quickly. I suffer from a condition that causes my body to have unbearable [burning/itching] allergic reactions when my body temperature changes too fast [Normally caused by the natural environment/weather/temp/changing elevations. It happens even when just walking for too long outside]. In my own home it is not as bad, so I'm looking for advice on home workouts [that don't involve machines because I'm broke]. If you can help please add me ◕ u ◕!!!

I am curious if there is a name for your itching/tingling problem. I have the same experience & never knew what it was. SO annoying. I'd love to read more about it.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ripped in 30 (similar to 30 Day Shred) Jillian Michaels workout dvd's...Biggest Loser workout DVD's...but you can also find a lot of online workouts (on youtube) that are free :-)

Good luck to you!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Set a realistic goal, party if you hit 25! PM me when you hit 25 and I will celebrate for you too!

Drink plenty of water. Walk, walk, walk and walk some more. Take a fan to the gym treadmill if needs be.
    Stretch. Yoga.
    Maybe little 2-5 minute workouts off and on throughout the day. Think of it as an hourly 'drop and give me 20.'
    Fruits and Veggies.
    Set a reasonable calorie limit. Don't go over it and never go too far under it.

... Uh, out of ideas. I definitely want to know how progress goes though.

Oh I would love to use a treadmill. I'm currently job hunting so Gym memberships will have to wait. I used to go to a ymca but its so far from where I live. Hard to go places when you live out in the sticks : [

Anyways I like the 5 minute work out idea randomly throughout the day, and I convinced my fiance to go out running/walking with me [which we have an excellent area to walk. Lots of hills and stuff around the lake]. It will be a bit tough at first, but I'm hoping my medicine will calm my allergic reactions.

And yes if I do lose 25 pounds I will be partying, and I'm not worried about gaining. I've always been able to maintain my weight around 150-160 [ just went through a bad lazy/depression spell and gained D; ]. Below that will be tough for me.

Just don't let yourself forget how bad you want it. It is pretty easy, in my personal experience, to give up. It is hard to keep going.
  • Phayble
    Options
    When you go on a hard-core diet your body uses it's cheap and easy energy store, glycogen, first. Unfortunately, glycogen stores in the body bound to 4 times its' own weight in water.

So what you lose is 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. Not even fat. There's no fat in this equation - a simple sugar in its ready to use form, and water.

That's why sudden crash diets are so utterly disappointing. The moment you stop your body replenishes this 'fast food' store, because it's a very necessary thing for your body to have.

After the initial incredibly huge weight loss, start counting from there. The original huge loss will go straight back on when you eat normally again. But the weight you lose between those two events will probably be a respectable percentage fat, and if you keep exercising, not very much muscle.

:)

You need to work out what foods you are willing to eat, and then start planning your diaries. People say peanut butter is bad because you can power through the calories faster than you can say 'what the heck?' A peanut butter sandwich is over 400 cals.

If you're on a 1200 cal a day diet, that's a third of your calories right there, and if you look at the protein stats you'll see it's a very high fat way to get protein. Compare an ounce of peanut butter to an ounce of chicken breast. :)

Thanks for the advice/Info! I don't feel that I'm doing a crash diet, I feel full and I don't get hunger pains. I just switched my diet back to what it used to be before I took a bad turn [depression, junk foods, 4 sodas a day ~ which made me gain weight like crazy]. The only thing that is new for me is workout routines, though I do know that I do need to balance the two out so I'm not hurting myself.

I based my 1200 calorie counter off of whatever i had to fill out a while ago. I forgot I had even made an account so I'm still working out some stuff and my counter will probably be increased because I'm exercising now : >

D: but ahh, I love peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I guess I'll have to be smart about it, I won't give it up but I'll eat it maybe once every two weeks.
  • Phayble
    Options
    Hey! I'm new here and looking for ways to shed weight quickly. I suffer from a condition that causes my body to have unbearable [burning/itching] allergic reactions when my body temperature changes too fast [Normally caused by the natural environment/weather/temp/changing elevations. It happens even when just walking for too long outside]. In my own home it is not as bad, so I'm looking for advice on home workouts [that don't involve machines because I'm broke]. If you can help please add me ◕ u ◕!!!

I am curious if there is a name for your itching/tingling problem. I have the same experience & never knew what it was. SO annoying. I'd love to read more about it.

I'm not sure about the name, my doctor just said its actually not uncommon. It can be caused by temperature changes in the body [caused by temp/weather/changing elevations] or irritations to certain fabrics when working out. Mine is a bit of a mixture with both since my skin is rather sensitive.

If yours is unbearable, for example, keeps you from moving and all you want to do is tear into your skin to stop it ~ then It probably is the temperature fluctuation in your body when working out. If its moderate and you get the itching around your clothes then it is probably a reaction from the fabric your clothing is made of ~ If so I suggest only wearing workout clothes that are mainly (or completely) made of cotton.
  • Phayble
    Options

I'm not sure about the name, my doctor just said its actually not uncommon. It can be caused by temperature changes in the body [caused by temp/weather/changing elevations] or irritations to certain fabrics when working out. Mine is a bit of a mixture with both since my skin is rather sensitive.

If yours is unbearable, for example, keeps you from moving and all you want to do is tear into your skin to stop it ~ then It probably is the temperature fluctuation in your body when working out. If its moderate and you get the itching around your clothes then it is probably a reaction from the fabric your clothing is made of ~ If so I suggest only wearing workout clothes that are mainly (or completely) made of cotton.

Also if it truly is your body I suggest just buying some Equate Allergy relief medicine. Its an antihistamine and it is inexpensive