Seriously! I need help! This is starting to piss me off!

Options
13»

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me go on a VERY strict Adkins diet for 10 days every 3 months or when I hit a plateau. They are very sad 10 days BUT it totally works.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water daily
  • tk2007
    tk2007 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah...that's another thing. I've not been consistent with the water monitoring. I just grab glass after glass and lose count lol
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=roadmap+short+and+sweet&page=1#posts-14891590

Read the first post of this thread, as it explains the TDEE-20% method of weight loss. Trust me, it really works!!! It will give you more calories to eat & makes sure you get adequate protein. If your protein intake is high enough & you add in some resistance training, you'll burn fat without burning a lot of muscle. I've lost 57 pounds & only 10% of that weight loss has been lean muscle mass. Your protein intake should be AT LEAST 1 gm/pound of lean body mass or alternatively 0.8 gm/pound of weight. For most women that is 100-125 grams of protein/day as a MINIMUM. I'm now 160 pound & 5-8 and eat at least 135 grams of protein/day. In fact, on Sunday I ate 205 grams of protein!

Once you figure out your calorie requirement, DO NOT eat under that goal & expect to lose weight. Eating below you BMR (basal metabolic rate) is always wrong, as your BMR only accounts for basic body functions for survival. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is what you burn in a day. If you eat at TDEE, you should maintain your weight. If you eat at a deficit to your TDEE, you will lose weight, hence the idea of TDEE-20%. As you get closer to your goal, your deficit should get smaller. Eating at a deficit of >20% should ONLY be done under the guidance of a physician! And as a physician myself, I will add that most physician do not have adequate training in nutrition & weight loss. You need to be under the care of a physician who specializes in weight loss, such as a bariatric physician in conjunction with a well trained dietician.

One other point, a weight loss rate of 1 pound/week is ideal & sustainable. In the very beginning you may lose more due to water loss, but pushing for greater weight loss (unless you are morbidly obese & under a doctor's care) is not advisable or sustainable.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Okay, I need to clear this up.

I've been getting the "No, you're lying about what you put in your diary" answer a lot. Trust me, I do this thing religiously. I've even been yelled at several times for undereating (ask my friends). So I'm ruling out those answers.

I hope my comment didn't insinuate you were lying. not at all. There could be something else at play here--medically. Have you had your thyroid checked recently?

regardless of sodium and water consumption the scale shouldn't increase significantly if you are eating at a deficit.

As far as logging calories, maybe there are items that you think you are logging correctly, but are in fact not accurate. I have gone crazy trying to log certain items because there is such a range of responses.

I currently don't exercise so I can't speak to that component. I hope you figure out what is going on, and well done on your accomplishments.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.75'' and below 130 lbs so we should have roughly the same caloric needs - 1200 is about right. Now if you are eyeballing your food then there's a chance you're eating well into your 1400/day which will bring you too close to maintenance - let's say 1550 - and at a 150 calorie deficit a day you'd need about a month to lose a pound. My maintenance is 1580ish.
    I'm 5'3", 42 years old, and at maintenance weight of 110 pounds since June. My basic maintenance calories are right around 1550, and I started Couch to 5K 9 weeks ago (yes, I'm nearly done!). On days that I run, my calorie needs shoot way up to 2000 calories.

Eat more. Seriously.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale when logging to ensure accuracy. Make sure you aren't over estimating your exercise calories.
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I looked at one day of your diary. but I did look at your goals. and what you actually did. I don't think you know what you're doing. you're eating carbs and not eating fats and proteins. basically, you're carbo-loading for your running and starving your body of nutrition (fats and protein). most of your diet is fruit and grains. so yeah you're going to get some weird responses from a body trying to survive what amounts to lots of stress (running) and abuse (no nutrition).

go to one of the keto calculators and reset your goals on calories, fats, proteins and carbs and then GET TO THE GOALS. switch your emphasis from low calorie to low carb and increase your intake of fats and proteins dramatically then see what happens after a month or so.

I run and swim and I would never eat what you eat.

^^Smart!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    One other point, a weight loss rate of 1 pound/week is ideal & sustainable. In the very beginning you may lose more due to water loss, but pushing for greater weight loss (unless you are morbidly obese & under a doctor's care) is not advisable or sustainable.

Just wanted to quote this part.
  • tk2007
    Options
    Okay I know this post is two months old. I stepped away to try the smarter suggestions. I come back and last I read are what are obviously automatic responses, or things people say when they won't read. Let me restate this: THIS IS A 3 YEAR LONG ISSUE GOING ON. (someone made a remark that weight loss is slow for beginners; 3 years ain't a beginner).

I started in 2010 at 150 lbs
    My lowest was 123 in 2012
    By April 2013, I ballooned from 125-135 in ONE WEEK

It's been that way since. Forget this forum, I'm going to the doctor.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
  • jamesskc
    jamesskc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are that active you should be ingesting at least 1500-1800 calories a day. Try changing the percentage of your carbs, fats and proteins. My trainer has me eating 1800 calories a day on the days that I do both strength and cardio training. On the days I complete just strength training I usually eat right up to 1500 calories a day. Also make sure you are eating 6 small meals (including snacks a day.) Getting enough sleep every night is also extremely important.
  • jamesskc
    jamesskc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your sodium consumption is really high. Your carbs are decent but your protein is nowhere near as high as it should be. Sugars and healthy fats could be adjusted also.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Okay I know this post is two months old. I stepped away to try the smarter suggestions. I come back and last I read are what are obviously automatic responses, or things people say when they won't read. Let me restate this: THIS IS A 3 YEAR LONG ISSUE GOING ON. (someone made a remark that weight loss is slow for beginners; 3 years ain't a beginner).

there is 2 options: you either have a medical problem, so going to the doctor is a good idea.

OR there is a fundamental flaw in your counting i.e. there is something you are missing consistently in your logging (vegetables, condiments, stuff in tea/coffee, night time secret eating, refills of wine) or your are just not burning the calories that you think you are burning for a variety of reasons.

Have you had your BMR tested to see whether it is actually as high as it is assumed?

regardless, good luck and I hope you get it sorted out :-)
  • hlg263
    hlg263 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also (and I'm not being a wise *kitten*) make sure you've ruled out pregnancy.

One of my friends dieted for 2 months, gained a clothes size and got very frustrated about it, and then realised she was actually pregnant.

This actually happened to me as well! I thought I was missing my period because of the sudden weight loss but still felt bloated. That is when I found out that weight loss can actually stimulate fertility! Who knew?!

I just realized how old this post is and don't know how to delete my comment. But just in case someone out there has this problem know that babies can happen quickly when losing weight :-)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Going to the doctor is a good idea. I think someone suggested that because of the quick weight gain. It's good that you are using MFP's diary, because the doctor may want to see your tracking. There are some days missing, do you track elsewhere?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    ahhhh bless you! yes thats me. the more i exercise the less i eat the more the weight goes back on

:huh: :noway:

You must be a special snowflake!! What you just said is against the Laws of Thermodynamics. This CANNOT happen. You are underestimating your intake, overestimating your burn, or have a medical condition.
  • tk2007
    Options

Going to the doctor is a good idea. I think someone suggested that because of the quick weight gain. It's good that you are using MFP's diary, because the doctor may want to see your tracking. There are some days missing, do you track elsewhere?

If you are talking about the gaps of time in the spring, yeah. It was previously at Livestrong, all 3 years prior.
  • tk2007
    Options
    So I figured I'd update!!

I went to the doctor finally and he changed my birth control. I also got a friend helping me out a few in fitness tips. I FEEL GREAT!!
    My strength is back and while my weight is not changing much, my inches are going away! Hormones! Hormones were key!