Kettlebell exercises

Has anyone tried the kettlebell exercises? If so, what are the pros/cons of doing them?

Replies

• chimeresh
    chimeresh Posts: 3 Member
    I usually do a kettlebell workout at least once a week. Its a total body workout. No cons for me. U have to be really careful about form or else u will hurt yourself. If u have knee or back problems its not a good idea. I love it.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    I love them but my only con is I'm so sore the next day that I don't want to do it again! They work your entire body though for sure!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    I love it! Check out www.fitnessblender.com. They have some good HIIT workouts and moves that show you good form. It will leave you sore, but it is a great feeling.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Pros are it gets your heartrate up very fast so it helps burn "alot" of calories, Its great for tough areas like lower abs. Helps your posture out alot when you do them. I don't see any cons whatsoever about them I actually enjoy kettlebells except when you do pushups with a kettlebell in the other hand above your head like in some of the more advanced videos then that sorta sucks. I like the Kettlenetics-Michelle Khai type workouts cuz those are like an aerobic type of workout with the K bells. But I did find after a short time the one it comes with became too light and had to get a little bit heavier kettlebell but you can get a pretty good workout in doing the advanced one of hers with even an 8 lb Kettlebell cuz it gets your heart rate up pretty good with the cardio in along with it.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Thanks for all of the responses!
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Kettlebells are pure unadulterated evil. I mean that in a good way. I used to go to a personal trainer and she made me do this kettlebell squat - go down, and then on the way up swing the weight up to chest level then squat and lower the bell and repeat. It works the entire body super efficiently. When I started with her I could only do it for 30 seconds without dying. But by the time my sessions were complete I could go for almost 2 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it really was dramatic how much better my cardio levels were.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Majority of m strength is lower, so I'm wanting to up the ante on my arms. I may try the kettlebell and see what it's all about.
  • coopmoe
    coopmoe Posts: 4
    Little late to the party here, but that has been the bread and butter for my workouts. It has the perks of cardio while being much more efficient then taking an hour or so out of your day to run a bunch of miles. I started with a 25 lb one and am now on a 20 kilo (~44 lb). Moving up in weight is also a huge boost to the ego when you see that old one that you thought would be the death of you as nothing but a doorstop.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Pros: Kettlebells are quick and efficient. When I have a very tight schedule I will use kettlebell exercises for a quick calorie burn.

Cons: I get severe DOMS after using kettlebells. The exercises are also kind of boring.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    They are a lump of metal with a handle, no more, no less.

I guess the major cons are all the terrible exercise technique and advice surrounding them.

There's a group on here Enter the Kettlebell. Named after the book I assume.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I love kettlebells and have been training with them regularly for the past year. There aren't really any "cons" for me, all positive reports here.

Best advice is to make sure you get some qualified instruction, as they can look really simple, but you want to be sure your form is correct so as to avoid developing bad habits and the injuries that can result from working with poor movement patterns and such.

Look for an RKC, or better yet, SFG certified trainer.
  • Lupercalia, have you noticed alot of body changes from kettlebell training such and defined muscles in your arms, back legs, and stomach? I have been doing kettlebells 5 times a week for two weeks and can already see changes! I love it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    KB are DB... with a handle.

most of the exercises that you do with a KB can be performed with a DB. The exercise itself stands apart from the type of weight you would use.

I have to be honest- I'm always baffled by these questions. The workouts are the same.. it's just a DB with a handle.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    the only con I have had is going to high over the head and possible shoulder injury...I do 25 pounds and more Russian style due to tennis shoulder! LOL
  • the only con I have had is going to high over the head and possible shoulder injury...I do 25 pounds and more Russian style due to tennis shoulder! LOL

I started with a ten pound and now am using and 18. Some exercises are too hard with the 18 so I just use a 15lb dumbbell in its place. I wont do the swing over my head because Im afraid of "that" injury lol :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    They are a lump of metal with a handle, no more, no less.

I guess the major cons are all the terrible exercise technique and advice surrounding them.

There's a group on here Enter the Kettlebell. Named after the book I assume.

Yes - terrible advice & terrible technique. Lots of people jumped on the bandwagon to $ell kettlebell DVDs without knowing what they are doing (can you say Jillian Michaels) ..... good form is critical when you are using heavy kettlebells ..... (not the 5 lb jobs with cardio) ....these are arguably not true kettlebell exercises anyway.