Working-out at home literally makes me sick. Why?

Options
Wondering if this happens to anyone else, or if anyone has an explanation. I can go to the gym and do a full 60 mins of cardio with pretty much no issue, however when I try to do cardio type work-outs at home, I seriously end up feeling sick. Anyone else find that this happens to them?? It's so strange! :ohwell:

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    That is weird! Something totally out there- but what kind of sick? I'm wondering if maybe you have carbon monoxide in your house? That could make you sick, especially with rapid breathing
  • Jgonz1203
    Jgonz1203 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It leaves me feeling nauseous, and just icky. I know it's not a carbon monoxide issue because I rent, and this isn't the only place I've lived where this happens. It's anywhere that I work out in a home setting that is not using actual workout equipment. Like if I do jumping jacks, jogging in place.. that kind of thing. But I can be on a treadmill/elliptical for 60 mins and feel fine after.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Maybe there are allergens in your home environments that irritate you? Perhaps in rugs or carpets or upholstery that gets stirred up and bothers you? On a smooth surface machine, it may not be an issue, and as there aren't any carpets and plush surfaces in a gym, it'd be a non issue there.

I'm a bit allergic to my cat. If I don't keep my carpet well vacuumed and work out on it, it can be irritating to my eyes and throat.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It may have something to do with pushing yourself too hard. Any sort of freestyle cardio like jumping jacks or running in place is a slightly harder workout (generally speaking) than the same effort on a machine because your body is working against a different resistance and often using more and different muscles than a machine that moves in X way at Y speed. That's why running outside or on even on an indoor track is harder than running on a treadmill. Also, the machines pace you and may make you more aware of what you're doing, whereas doing it at home, you don't have the resistance, incline, heartrate, etc right in front of you. I know I always tend to overwork myself if I don't have a regimented routine or machine to work on.
  • Jgonz1203
    Options
    It may have something to do with pushing yourself too hard. Any sort of freestyle cardio like jumping jacks or running in place is a slightly harder workout (generally speaking) than the same effort on a machine because your body is working against a different resistance and often using more and different muscles than a machine that moves in X way at Y speed. That's why running outside or on even on an indoor track is harder than running on a treadmill. Also, the machines pace you and may make you more aware of what you're doing, whereas doing it at home, you don't have the resistance, incline, heartrate, etc right in front of you. I know I always tend to overwork myself if I don't have a regimented routine or machine to work on.

This makes total sense!

I'm sure its not a carpet issue because there is a carpet where I work out too, and I'm never bothered there.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I'd say it's likely this.

When I first began working out, the cardio portions of the circuit training video KILLED me. I got a Polar HRM two weeks later and discovered that I was pushing myself waaaay to hard. Made me sick and dreadful of the next day's workout. Now that I monitor my HR, I find that 80% of my max HR is really doable.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your weak.
  • ShutupndMovee257
    ShutupndMovee257 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I mainly workout at home, it is strange. ...... where do you work out? Meaning what room of the house? I have a gym set up in my garage, love it. Change the work space and routine. As long as you work hard, doesn't matter where eh? :) Keep it up.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I can make myself close to ill doing tabata stuff - I find the machines don't let me push myself as hard as I do on my own.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Is your house warmer? Cooler?
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I'd say it's likely this.

When I first began working out, the cardio portions of the circuit training video KILLED me. I got a Polar HRM two weeks later and discovered that I was pushing myself waaaay to hard. Made me sick and dreadful of the next day's workout. Now that I monitor my HR, I find that 80% of my max HR is really doable.

An HR monitor can really make a difference. It can tell you if your training in the gym is comparable to your training at home. Plus, if you get one that also calculates calorie burn along with displaying your heart rate, the calorie count is generally a bit more accurate that with other devices, such as pedometers and activity trackers.

Something else you can try is doing your home workout at the gym and see if this has the same result as when you perform it at home.
  • Jgonz1203
    Options
    your weak.

And you're sweet. Thanks for speaking words of encouragement. You're totally perfect, I'm assuming? Have a wonderful day and enjoy being perfect. :yawn: :laugh:
  • Jgonz1203
    Options
    With the exception of one, these were all great insights and gave me some things to consider.

Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the person above that mentioned your working harder because you don't have a machine but instead its just you.. With a machine after a time period you start to develop a rhythm that you might not even notice and fall into that place where its just enough to seem like your tired but your not killing yourself.. But doing it yourself your pushing yourself more.. AND its a different exercise that your body isn't used to. I bet if you go to the gym and jump on the stair machine you will be hurting as well.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Yep, happens to me too...
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    your weak.

At least she understands basic grammar rules.
  • chadstrain1
    chadstrain1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you change the air filters regularly in your home? I had a few terrible jogs on my home treadmill until I realized I was 2 months behind on changing the filter. Made a huge difference to not be breathing germ/dust ridden air.
  • IndigoRey
    Options
    Maybe open the windows (if possible) for some fresh air or have a humidifier/air cleaner... sometimes it makes an impact just on our psyche to make little changes...

Also are you doing different workouts at the gym vs home? i.e I do cardio classes like zumba etc but I hate the treadmill so when I did that at home, after 15 minutes Id literally get frustrated and depressed and walk off the machine

I find working out in the gym gives one a bit of structure..u remember to drink water and breathe cause people around you are ..sometimes at home one can forget that
  • Jgonz1203
    Options
    your weak.

At least she understands basic grammar rules.

Haha. Awesome!!