help!!

I started trying to lose weight about there weeks ago, when I decided my weight was starting to get the best of me. I work out at the gum and have greatly reduced how much I eat and made it much healthier. I am Frustrated though because my.starting weight was 280. I got it down to 269. But now this morning I am 27i5 like overnight. It has never been this difficult to lose besides am getting frustrate. So any help or.tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    An overnight jump like that is almost always water weight caused by stress, hormones, sodium, exercise, etc. You've still lost 5 pounds in three weeks and, whether it feels that way or not, that's great progress.

How much are you eating? Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Are you eating back exercise calories? If so, how are you estimating them? Heart rate monitor or MFP/machine estimates?
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    An overnight jump like that is almost always water weight caused by stress, hormones, sodium, exercise, etc. You've still lost 5 pounds in three weeks and, whether it feels that way or not, that's great progress.

How much are you eating? Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Are you eating back exercise calories? If so, how are you estimating them? Heart rate monitor or MFP/machine estimates?

^ What they said. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, it's water retention. I've gained as much as 10lbs overnight, but it always come off and usually with an extra pound or two attached.
  • lenaburns58
    lenaburns58 Posts: 6 Member
    According to mfp I should eat about 1900 a day. I usually eat about 1300 and burn an ave of 400 at the gum. I do measure all my food out. I always have calorie deficit
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If you're always in a deficit, then don't worry about it. You didn't gain 6lbs of fat overnight while eating less than you burn.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    According to mfp I should eat about 1900 a day. I usually eat about 1300 and burn an ave of 400 at the gum. I do measure all my food out. I always have calorie deficit

That's a pretty intense caloric deficit. If MFP tells you to net 1900 a day (which has your deficit built in) and you're only netting 900 per day, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1500 calorie per day deficit (if your tracking of 1300 calories is accurate).
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member

You need to be eating more. This isn't sustainable or healthy. Weight loss isn't linear, so don't let short-term increases get into your head and freak you out. If you've just started working out, you are going to gain weight. Your muscles retain water and glycogen, which causes an apparent weight gain, but it is not a fat gain. Too much salt, carb heavy meals and lots of other things can cause water retention that throw off weight loss as well. If you are supposed to be netting 1900 a day, please do it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member

That's too little to eat for your size. You're only taking in 900 calories that way.
  • lenaburns58
    lenaburns58 Posts: 6 Member
    So I need to eat more?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    So I need to eat more?

Probably. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but a lot of us have found that we don't lose if we drop our calories too low. I would really suggest that you at least hit MFP's 1900 goal and then eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Assuming, of course, that you're logging your food accurately and don't have any medical conditions that would affect your metabolism.

Be aware that as you increase your calories you may see a slight gain on the scale. Your body wants to replenish it's glycogen stores, which leads to a little extra water weight. This will even out quickly, but you can also increase your calories slowly to try and minimize it.