any lap banders out there?

Options
I'm getting banded on Oct 15; officially start the pre-op diet on Oct1. I've already been trying to adapt my eating habits to my new lifestyle an d especailly to the pre-op diet. So far, so good! :smile: Any one else doing the same?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just went ahead and started a healthy diet without doing the procedure. I pretended I had it done, ate the pre and post-op diet and it works. The best part was that I didn't have any recovery time from the surgery.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm just going off your ticker but is 60lbs all you have to lose? And you are getting the lap band?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the procedure, but I'm pretty sure I saw a group for it. Click on 'Groups' in the menu bar above and you should be able to search for it.

Best of luck to you!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm just going off your ticker but is 60lbs all you have to lose? And you are getting the lap band?

I was wondering about this also, isn't that procedure for morbidly obese people!?
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the band, but I did have the sleeve. Regardless of which you do, you will find that "training" for it in advance and having to do it are sooooo different. But totally worth it if you put in the effort to follow all of your surgeon, nutritionist and exercise physiologists advice and guidelines.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I was wondering about this also, isn't that procedure for morbidly obese people!?

No, it's not. At least it's not ONLY for the morbidly obese.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing about the 60 pounds. You could knock that out in a year. Instead you are going to change your insides forever. Im so glad i never considered that route.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

If you aren't morbidly obese, what is the point of getting it? Couldn't you just go to the gym and eat right and get better results?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I had the band, and I love it. It's definitely given me challenges, but it's been so worth it. It has given me the last piece of the puzzle I needed to lose weight and keep it off. There are a lot of people, especially on MFP that will criticize weight loss surgery, but it has helped me maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, and given me the last tool I needed in my toolbox to make it happen.

Start the pre op diet as early as you can, and be careful after surgery (ie stay on liquid/soft foods for awhile). Chew A LOT. Don't be afraid to order a to go box with food at a restaurant. You'll need to throw up a lot at first... hang in there with it and learn from your mistakes. Exercise as much as you can after surgery. Avoid sugar, fat and especially bread/pasta (it has a tendency to get stuck in your throat and will make you throw up). Set a health goal - BF% or weight - and don't stop short of the finish line.

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you aren't morbidly obese, what is the point of getting it? Couldn't you just go to the gym and eat right and get better results?

It depends on what you mean by "better". Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    Options

It depends on what you mean by "better". Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.

Better to me is learning proper nutrition and becoming physically active so that you retain muscle mass while losing fat, 500-600 calories per day isn't going to give you enough energy to hit the gym 3 times a week?
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I had the band, and I love it. It's definitely given me challenges, but it's been so worth it. It has given me the last piece of the puzzle I needed to lose weight and keep it off. There are a lot of people, especially on MFP that will criticize weight loss surgery, but it has helped me maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, and given me the last tool I needed in my toolbox to make it happen.

Start the pre op diet as early as you can, and be careful after surgery (ie stay on liquid/soft foods for awhile). Chew A LOT. Don't be afraid to order a to go box with food at a restaurant. You'll need to throw up a lot at first... hang in there with it and learn from your mistakes. Exercise as much as you can after surgery. Avoid sugar, fat and especially bread/pasta (it has a tendency to get stuck in your throat and will make you throw up). Set a health goal - BF% or weight - and don't stop short of the finish line.

Let me know if you have any questions!

im sorry and im glad for your loss. but this sounds awful.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I have no words for this. You took it to a new level, which should no longer shock me coming from you, but...
  • bcattoes
    Options

Better to me is learning proper nutrition and becoming physically active so that you retain muscle mass while losing fat, 500-600 calories per day isn't going to give you enough energy to hit the gym 3 times a week?

People are different. Better is just opinion. OP didn't ask for yours or mine.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    For the love of everything in the universe DO NOT have a stupid lapband. My parents signed me up to get one at 17 and I spent years unable to keep down so much as water and my own spit. I would literally throw up my own spit. I wish I was kidding. Yeah, I lost. But I also went nearly a week at a time without being able to keep down anything. You go, get a fill, $100. Too tight, you puke. Unfill $100. You can eat too much, get a fill $100. Too tight, puke, $100 to unfill. I had my unfilled and still could not keep down water. There was NOTHING in it.

I lived off of soup/mashed potatoes every THREE days because that's about how often I could keep food down.

-116 later, BY MYSELF.

It's awful, seriously.

Stop eating crap food and move your *kitten*.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I have no words for this. You took it to a new level, which should no longer shock me coming from you, but...

Those look suspiciously like words.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.

Can you please tell me what health benefits it provides that are not found in slower weightloss programs? I am not being a d!ck either I really would like to know.

Edited because typing on my phone leads to massive spelling errors.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    For the love of everything in the universe DO NOT have a stupid lapband. My parents signed me up to get one at 17 and I spent years unable to keep down so much as water and my own spit. I would literally throw up my own spit. I wish I was kidding. Yeah, I lost. But I also went nearly a week at a time without being able to keep down anything. You go, get a fill, $100. Too tight, you puke. Unfill $100. You can eat too much, get a fill $100. Too tight, puke, $100 to unfill. I had my unfilled and still could not keep down water. There was NOTHING in it.

I lived off of soup/mashed potatoes every THREE days because that's about how often I could keep food down.

-116 later, BY MYSELF.

It's awful, seriously.

Stop eating crap food and move your *kitten*.

Daaayuuuuummm girl!!!!

barney-funny-high-five-how-i-met-your-mother-lmfao-Favim.com-184878.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options

:laugh: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.

Can you please tell me what health benefits it provides that are not found in slower weightloss programs? I am not being a d!ck either I really would like to know.

Edited because typing on my phone leads to massive spelling errors.

Spelling errors don't bother me. The most dramatic difference that I've heard of is that children born to women who have had weight loss surgery often have less genetic obesity markers than children born before they had the surgery.

In diabetics, HbA1c levels are stastically lower for weight loss surgery patients, even several years out, than those that lost through exercise and diet alone.

I'm not pro- or anti- weight loss surgery, BTW. I'm just anti- telling others what they should or should not do because I'm "expert" enough to create an account on a free internet site.