foods to reduce high blood pressure?

Options
Hi I just got told by my doctor that I have high blood pressure and need to go on meds. I don't want to go on meds, so I am trying to change my diet and exercise. Are there any foods that help reduce high bp? or any foods that i need to stay away from?

mahalo

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You might look into getting more potassium and/or less sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise is usually a good way to reduce BP. You might also check out the DASH diet, which was specifically designed to reduce hypertension.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Avoid salt like it's the plague.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Higher potassium and lower sodium
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    More potassium.

Bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, apricots, spinach, most fruits and veges have at least some, fish (especially salmon), chicken, nuts (especially pistachios)
  • Arismar2022
    Arismar2022 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Celery works pretty well! Good luck! =)
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was told a banana a day, and reduce processed food as I never added salt to my food anyway. 5 a day and a regular exercise got mine down to not needing meds. It's gone back up over the summer while I wasn't able to exercise with an injury.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic beverages are terrible for it. Exercise is great for it. Sodium is bad for it. Potassium is good to help counteract sodium. Thats about all I have to say on the matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    More potassium, reduced sodium intake, plenty of exercise. Also keep in mind that diet and exercise may not work...my diet and exercise rock and I still have to take meds for my BP as my issues are largely hereditary. If you have to take them, take them...i don't have any side effects from mine except for the fact that I just feel way better because my BP is under control.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My fiancé reduced his greatly by cutting sodium. As you probably already know due to being on MFP, there's a ton of sodium in a lot of somewhat unexpected places.

A few things he cut out quickly are olives and salted nuts and chips!
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was told to keep under 6g of salt a day in foodstuffs and to avoid adding salt to food. The info sheet I was given by the Doctor also said avoid caffeinated products so switch to decaffeinated tea and coffee, this was especially important to me as I drink tea around the clock. Caffeine is also present in some fizzy drinks. Along with avoiding stress, losing weight , increasing exercise and I didnt smoke or drink, I think that was about everything he said. Like others have mentioned the DASH diet is the one to follow.
  • reikochan24
    reikochan24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks guys and gals for all the answers and support! this is my first time posting in a forum. I will definitely try these out.

mahalo!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    DASH is a great place to start. It wasn't enough for me, I switched to a plant-based diet - veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes. I also avoid added sugar, extracted oil, sodium. It's been enough to get me off of my blood pressure medicine. Even with the diet change it took several months for me to be able to get off of the meds and have a "normal" blood pressure. Exercise also helps, but that alone wasn't enough for me either.
  • ammymickens
    Options
    green leafy delight, spinach is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with heart-healthy nutrients like potassium, folate, and magnesium — key ingredients for lowering and maintaining blood pressure levels. Know more here http://forum.internationaldrugmart.com/health-conditions-issues-f11/foods-that-lower-blood-pressure-during-pregnancy-t6636.html
  • deadwax
    Options
    It depends on how high your blood pressure is, but you might want to go on the meds until you get all the suggestions here implemented and under control. The re-visit going off them at a later date.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It depends on how high your blood pressure is, but you might want to go on the meds until you get all the suggestions here implemented and under control. The re-visit going off them at a later date.

I agree with this. You might want to take the medication, until you can get it under control from diet. Is you high blood pressure weight related or is it other issues like stress, hereditary? I currently take blood pressure medication, but as I lose more weight, it will be under control because mine is from weight issues.
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try to eat mostly watery vegetables and fruits.. Or things with high potassium like others mentioned. Start using spices and herbs in place of lots of salt in your cooking/ whatever your eating. Also try some traditional foods that lower blood pressure like Goya/ bitter Mellon there are some different varieties but they all work really well.. It's great in curry if you don't like the taste though some ppl (me :) just eat it raw thinly sliced as a snack .. Anyway try it !
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just losing weight was enough for me. I was on meds at one time and my BP is good now!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Low carb, whole foods.