What do you do for MOTIVATION???(: to keep going.

Options
onelove100911
onelove100911 Posts: 19
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hey everyone. !! I just recently started to try nd get back on track to getting healthy again,to live a better life style nd drop some pounds (:
I was just curious
WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING ??
WHAT DO YOU DO FOR MOTIVATION??
WHO IS YOUR MOTIVATION??
I believe this can help mi nd others out there. <3(:

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Seeing all my hard work pay off when I look in the mirror :) Took me 10 years to get here.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror...
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    wow, that's a tough question!

The mirror and the scale are always good motivators for me. Looking back at the picture of me last March that got this whole weight loss thing kick started is a great incentive.

I think the more weight you lose the easier the motivation becomes. Results keep you going. I remember how overwhelmed I was by the goal number when I started...it seemed impossible, and now 6 months later I'm 6 lbs away and I feel and look so much better. I don't EVER want to ever see that number again!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just figure that if I keep going that eventually I will be fit again and my resigned indignation to go the gym will be actual anticipation.

I am also thinking about rewarding myself with a martial arts membership if I get to my goal weight of under ( 130) b/c nothing hurts me more ( figuratively and literally) than being out of shape in martial arts class...
  • Maribee112
    Options
    I keep thinking of my health. I'm 45 next month and put on some weight since my back and knee injury. I know my body is strong and capable. Once I have knee surgery this Monday, I will be back to boxing and kickboxing classes. I will have more energy, sleep better and overall feel better. I remind myself daily that I'm worth it! Keep up the good work. It's a daily struggle for many of us.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I keep picturing being at my unborn daughter's wedding... If she's twenty that would make me sixty four when she gets married... If she's thirty that would make me seventy four when she gets married... I want to be able to babysit my grandkids... 80ish? Not gonna happen unless I stay focused!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot but I still have a long ways to to go, so the scale is still a motivator for me.

When the scale doesn't move, I usually still see progress in my decreasing measurements and also in my fitness level.

I'm also learning to give myself credit for making good decisions even if I'm not seeing any progress in the numbers.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror & actually liking what I see !
    Not being so toffee apple shaped !
    Mfp friends .
    Seeing my clothes getting baggy !
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, what keeps me going? Well I only just started again last Saturday and I haven't persevered in the last few years, got bored with it and just wanted to eat "bad" food and still lose weight. Not happening, lol.

So I have now started again and hope I will keep going, because I know it would be so much better for me.

For motivation I bought some great Christian Worship music, specifically for doing fitness and play that in my ears while I do the cross trainer (elliptical), that keeps me going, helps pass the time.

My motivations are my children, my family. I want to live healthier, look healthier and just stop eating crappy stuff and be strong for them.
  • gibranholmes1977
    Options
    My before picture and my progress pictures.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mirror
    Progress charts
    Measuring
    Compliments

Feeling better
    Getting fitter
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I look at my before / after pictures and I change my workout routines from time-to-time.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The key is to push forward when you are not feeling motivated.....on the days when you do not want to work out, push anyway.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do not have motivation....I have habits. Must be ok because I have been doing it for 3 years
  • tarsha426
    tarsha426 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by looking in the mirror and the way my clothes fit when I start to loss inches and pounds. My son is also a great motivator for me he is a college student and an athlete he runs 5 times a wk and lift weights 3 times a wk all this and he has to keep up with his studies:love::smile: I also have a support system at work:glasses: The people on the MFP are awesome motivators as well.:smokin:
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What I rely on more than anything is commitment and dedication. I have made a decision to change my life and be the best person I am capable of being in more ways than just fitness. It's less about motivation and more about sticking to what is right for me. I don't always want to eat right and I don't always want to exercise. But I take every chance I get to tell people I am losing weight...and how much I've lost...and how much I want to lose...and how I'm doing it. The more people I tell, the more accountable I am. It keeps me committed. I would hate to make a liar out of myself. I also meditate a lot. I have mantras that I repeat to myself. I compete against myself when I train. I visualize what I want and how I will get there. I have about 100 fitness goals that are small and attainable. I am the only competition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do not have motivation....I have habits. Must be ok because I have been doing it for 3 years

I second this...I've simply developed good habits...it's all very routine at this point and just a part of my life. Asking me how I stay motivated to work out and get my nutrition on is like asking me how I stay motivated to brush my teeth every day...I just do it, don't really think about it too much.

I personally think it helps to let go of this notion that there's some kind of finish line to cross...there isn't...you can always be more awesome. Also, it's pretty difficult if you're being overly restrictive and don't have a sustainable plan...deprivation is not sustainable, moderation generally is.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and take measurements once a week. I feel like this helps me stay accountable and see my progress that is too early to see on my body. I also feel like it helps me embrace the daily fluctuations and encourages me to stress about the actual numbers a little bit less. I better understand the patience part too of how weight declines slowly. I wouldn't say that weighing daily works for everyone though. You need to be the type that won't get discouraged by the fact that weight goes up and down by decimals each day, depending on things like sodium, hormonal fluctuations, and general water retention. I haven't hit a plateau at this point, as I'm in the early stages, but I can imagine you'd have to be able to deal well with those too. If you can get past that, it's kind of cool to keep an eye on the overall generally downward trend.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've simply made it a part of my weekly routine too. It's just something that I do.

But, on those mornings when crawling out of bed at 5am seem difficult, I have set myself small goals and keep moving the benchmark. First, it was getting through the 30DS. Then I've moved on to Ripped in 30 dvd. Next? Well I'm going to start NROLFW. Each goal gets a little bigger each time. My BIL also wants me to run the 10km Bridge to Brisbane with him next September (yes a year away lol so I know it's logically do-able) - he's 10yrs younger than me, so it's a good motivation!
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I go online window shopping lol and shop for all the things I am going to buy when I look how I get down to where I want to be :smile:
This discussion has been closed.