White Potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• alexandraheaven
    Options
    Everything is good for you in moderation, if I eat potatoes I tend to have them at dinner but have double the amount of meat and vegetables so I keep the portion size down :) x
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No...carbs, and in particular, "white" carbs are just the latest and greatest in a long line of dietary boogie men. They do have a slightly higher GI, but barring a medical condition, that really doesn't matter for most. I personally love my white starches when I need to carb load before a race. Jet fuel baby....

Agreed...... I am a type 2 diabetic and white potatoes have been a staple in my diet from day one and I have lost a few pounds and my A1c's went from 10.0 to the last 2 1/2 years averaging 5.3...... nothing wrong with them in my opinion...
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I dreamed about them last night. Tossed in a little olive oil with fresh rosemary, garlic, sea salt and roasted. If they're bad for you, I don't want to be good.

Plus, they are easy to grow and do well in my climate.

It's the rich toppings and huge servings that do you in. Not the humble, nutritious potato itself.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A small white potato isn't "bad" for you, but a sweet potato is better. More fibre, more vitamins, slower digesting, less impact on bloody sugar. Make sure you have ypur potato with meat, like tuna mayo, grilled chicken/fish, steak...

Why do you say you need to have potatoes with meat?

You don't _need_ to, but a potato with butter and sour cream is hardly a balanced meal.. White potatos are a fast disgesting carb, with protein, satiety lasts longer.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    LOL!
    scaremongering.

Love that word! :)

That is exactly what happened. I love my baked potatoes. Thanks All for your input. I'm having a baked potato for supper tonight without guilt.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Also, kitties love potatoes. How could you argue with them?

cat-potato1.jpg
    [/quote]

Awww. Thats how much I love my sweet potatoes....yum and my kitty too :heart:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Racists.

:laugh:

We aren't racist in eastern Canada we have purple potatoes too....from PEI.

purplepotatoe_zpsba2c9c5c.png
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A small white potato isn't "bad" for you, but a sweet potato is better. More fibre, more vitamins, slower digesting, less impact on bloody sugar. Make sure you have ypur potato with meat, like tuna mayo, grilled chicken/fish, steak...

Why do you say you need to have potatoes with meat?

You don't _need_ to, but a potato with butter and sour cream is hardly a balanced meal.. White potatos are a fast disgesting carb, with protein, satiety lasts longer.

What is the digestion rate of a white potato vs a sweet potato? Why do potatoes need to be part of a "balanced" meal? What's wrong with a fast digesting carb source? Will I never feel satiated eating a white potato, regardless of the size, if I eat it alone?
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    potatoes are pretty awesome. white, red, blue, sweet, they're all great.

i eat em' all the time.

after chocolate, it's probably the second most important food in my diet that I would never give up. ever.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat them in moderation, around 150g and I do weigh! As part of my calorie count I really enjoy them. We get purple potatoes in the Uk too. Love the older varieties and also Jerseys, Charlottes, Roseval etc...