Running and Weight Loss

Options
hi to all, (female, age 24)
okay so i after doing c25k i ran for 30 minutes today.
cant measure pace because dont have any tool.

my question: i see a lot of posts about running and weight loss.
how much do you use to run daily?
did you do any other exercise?
how much weight did u lose in what time span.
and i am counting calories so that is not a problem.
i know everyone loses at different rates but still want to have an idea.

Replies

• Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i know this has been asked a lot. but i need guidance as to achieve my goal of weight loss with running.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    hi to all, (female, age 24)
    okay so i after doing c25k i ran for 30 minutes today.
    cant measure pace because dont have any tool.

how much do you use to run daily? i still run - anywhere from 3-5 days/week more if i'm training for a race
    did you do any other exercise? strength training
    how much weight did u lose in what time span. whatever my ticker reads for weight loss
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weightless exercise is for fitness. Get your diet under control taking into account any exercise and you'll lose weight
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 1 of c25k, I run in the afternoon and I do Jillian Michaels workouts in the mornings.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Run for fitness, not for weight loss. No ne can say if or how much weight you would lose by running. Your weight loss will depend on your diet. Track you calories, stay in budget and you'll lose whether you run or not.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I track my calories here on MFP.

I run 3 times a week currently. I will soon transition to 4 times a week.

I do Zumba 3 times a week.

I do boot camp 4 times a week.

I have lost 48.2 pounds.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running will help you keep the weight off and will boost your cardio-fitness so you'll end up being more generally active. But if you run without watching your calories, you'll naturally eat back the deficit.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I count calories (and watch the macros too) for weightloss

I RUN FOR FUN!
    :happy:
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just finished the c25k program and i lost 13 pounds doing that.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    At the moment (I'm quite busy so can't fit in longer runs atm) I run 30-45 minutes, about 4-5 times a week.

I also lift weights, and do yoga, and I'm fairly active with walking.

It hasn't really affected my weight loss (I'm in maintenance now, but I'm also talking about when I was losing weight). I use MFP's method of counting calories, so I've always eaten back any exercise calories burned, so the running didn't make me lose any more weight. If I hadn't eaten back those calories then my deficit would have been bigger than I wanted because I didn't want to risk losing too much lean mass as I lost weight.

As others have said, diet is the key part for weight loss. I exercise(d) for health and fitness, and to stay sane, not to lose weight faster.
  • Tinygirl24
    Options
    I run-jog 10 miles everyday, well actually I take 2 days off a month. I run-jog for 2 hours a day. I have a route that I created in my city. I clocked in that I am burning between 1000-1200 calories within 2 hours of jogging. After jogging, I walk 10minutes to my gym
    and I do strength training exercises. I will normally do 200 squats with a 20 pound weight, I will lift 10 pound weights( bicep curls and I do lunges and other exercises to work out my lower and upper body(This is normally 30minutes long. I than do a 30 minute abdominal workout. In total my workouts are usually 3 hours long. Sometimes 3 in a half hours if I decide to do 15-30 minutes worth of internal running at the end of my workout. But that is if I am not too tired. I also have to walk back from my gym so that is another 10 minutes back home. At night I go for a 30minute walk with my husband and then I do my cleaning, take the dogs out for a quick 10 minute walk(cannot walk them for the life of me) They wanna kill everything in site. So I mean, I am pretty active, I don't work, so I have a lot of free time on my hands. Since I have been running I lost 9 pounds. I'm not exactly where I want to be ....my stomach still is my trouble area, but I mean, i weigh 99 pounds. So i can't quite complain too much. I think if you start running, get on a really well balanced diet you will see results. My results took a long time... I had to really cut out the bad food and really dedicate myself to excersise everyday. I know I should rest more, but hey I have a lot of time to recover, I don't work.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I eat to lose weight.

I exercise to maintain physical health.

I run to shut my brain up. Some weeks I run 3 days, others 6. Just depends on how chatty my inner me is feeling.

Remember - You can't outrun a bad diet!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Well I've lost about 53lbs since I started running in January, HOWEVER, the weight loss is due to the calorie deficit. I eat back (happily!) all my running calories. Like someone else mentioned, exercise for fitness and eat for weight loss.

I'd say the only way running has contributed to my weight is that it allows me to eat more and therefore is making this whole process much easier as I'm in no way feeling deprived.

To answer your other questions at the moment I run 3x per week at 10km-20km per run but it's come down quite a bit since the summer. When I was training for the marathon in August my weekly mileage was definitely higher.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds. My only form of exercise is running: twice a week, one short 5 mile speed and one long run from 8 to 20 miles.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May and also started dieting, doing Slimming World. Along the way I ditched SW, started 5:2 fasting and counting calories on my normal eating days. I'm 50 and I run 5K twice a week now. I also have horses which keep me active and I'm a part-time housekeeper as a job so that keeps me moving too. I have lost 43lbs so far and am only two pounds away from my target.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I exercise for both fitness and weight loss. A good exercise program will significantly increase TDEE, which means it significantly increases 20% (or whatever number you use) of TDEE as well, which means eating right + exercise results in faster weight loss than eating right alone.

Currently run 5k-10k twice a week, along with biking 15k-45 3-4 times a week plus swimming 2x a week and heavy lifting 2x a week.
  • Christo516
    Options
    Everyone loses weight at a different rate. Like most people said in their reply, it's all about 'your diet. Try to eat as clean as possible. Also, I personally find that HIIIT with sprints works great to really shread up. Keep pushing youself, you'll get to where you wanna be.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 12 pounds a month for the last four months, but I started out with a considerable amount to lose. I started with just walking, but I started running some beginning about three months ago. I've been pretty on track with the diet too.

It's all a calorie in / calorie out thing. How many calories you burn running depends on how long you run, how fast, and how much you weigh. If you burn 3500 calories more than you take in, you should lose a pound. Running is a pretty good calorie burner. You burn more quite a bit more calories running for half an hour than you do walking. Some interesting research has been done on sprinting and how effective that is. Apparently the body uses up a lot of energy accelerating, just like a car does. So short bursts of speed are definitely worth the effort.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Some interesting research has been done on sprinting and how effective that is. Apparently the body uses up a lot of energy accelerating, just like a car does. So short bursts of speed are definitely worth the effort.

Usain Bolt burns less than 20 calories running a world record 100m. There are lots of good reasons to add sprinting/intervals, but calorie burn isn't one of them.