Money's tight. As always. :P

Options
2»

Replies

• sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Does the school have a gym that you can pay to use? Or exercise classes? That might really motivate you and get you into that school mindset at the same time.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'll check out if they have a gym. It's a community college, so I'm not sure.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    if guys in prison can get shredded there is no excuse and i can tell you they are not watching macros if there is a will there is a way
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I honestly say go full time to school, I know not everyone is down for taking out student loans and thats fine, but for me personally I took out the student loans so I could start my career and such earlier.

Gym memberships also don't have to be expensive, theres gyms around here that are $20/month and include fitness classes and such and they aren't a planet fitness. I don't have a gym membership at the moment just because my training goals at the moment are for a half marathon and I don't need a gym to go run, but I do plan on joining one after my half. You don't need a personal trainer to workout at a gym.

Honestly though, from what you've said, it sounds like you're going too hard too quickly when you first start working out. I say start with 20-30 mins of easy exercise a day 3 days a week, then up to 5 days a week, then up your time, don't go for 1.5 hours 6 days a week right away or you will burn out. It sounds like you ahve all the tools you need at your house, so utilize those and don't overdo it right away, ease into it and find what YOU enjoy doing and stick with it.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'll check out if they have a gym. It's a community college, so I'm not sure.

The community colleges around here have gyms and exercise classes (yoga, aerobics, etc.). I hope yours does too!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I think the consensus is go to school, and exercise with the tools I have at home. No need to spend more money, I should just utilize what I have. I really do need to keep my motivation alive. I tend to be an all or nothing type of broad. So, when I exercise... I'm ALL IN. I can bang out 1000 calorie burn a day for two weeks... and then I burn out. That is part of my issue as well. I am constantly fighting for balance. But, again... THANK YOU so much for taking the time to weigh in on the issue. It definitely cleared up a lot of problematic thoughts I was having.

Take advantage of your personality and make up a schedule and make it stick. M-W-F 30 minutes Elliptical, T-TR 30 minutes of bike and Saturday 30 minutes of WII Fit games. (or whatever fits you best but won't burn you out) Whatever you do write it down and post it (on fridge would be great).
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with majority of the posters, go to school, and see if they have a campus gym or a group work out where you can join to feed off of the motivation of others and work that into your school schedule.

Some times when you are in the weight loss challenge alone, the motivation dissipates, but having a buddy does help.
  • tarsha426
    tarsha426 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Education would be my first choice. You can get some friends together and workout a fitness plan with them. You have a whole platform of people on MFP to help you as well. A gym membership and personal training is not necessary. Most people can't afford trainers and gyms and have excellent results. It all about you and how hard you are willing to work. Finish school!!
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Does the college you're attending have a gym? If so, even enrolling in 1 class should get you an ID that will let you have access to it. For the record, I'm in the 3 classes camp with most of the other posters. Get school done before you have kids if you can. Less stress all around.

This is what I was going to ask. I would look into the gym at the college (if it has one) and possibly classes-the university my husband works at has free workout classes (boot camp, aerobics, etc) that are free with an id.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I work full time, so I take night classes. I already have a Bachelor's so I don't qualify for any $ from the FAFSA. Also, I do not want to take out student loans, as I JUST finished paying off the last one. I can take 3 classes. That should have me graduating in 4 semesters.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe I believe that if I joined a gym, and actually had to shell out that $ every month for the membership, it wouldn't be so easy to say, "Oh, I'll exercise tomorrow." <--- I've lost the motivation lately. I have weights, a bike, an elliptical (a gift from my dear mom) and a ton of wii exercise games (from my love).

I suppose the better question should have been how do I motivate myself? And, my first gut response was: a gym with a screaming trainer.

We've all done that and it doesn't work.

If you use diet alone to slowly, slowly lose the weight, then losing it will create the urge to move. I'm finding that already.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    school! will open more doors! :)

p.s is it only my uni's gym that cost.... everyone's else seems to be free on this forum! :p
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Get school over with. School isn't just about you, it is your families future. I can tell you that with a full time student for a spouse, if she backed off her classes to join a gym I would be furious especially if she used money already earmarked for classes.

As far as motivation, it is over rated. Just like school weight loss isn't about motivation it is about being committed enough to go do it even when you don't feel like it. I assume you get your homework done every night regardless of how tired you are or how bad your day was at work? Apply that same commitment to your weight loss and exercise.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    School definitely. I am attending college right now (17 credit hours currently), have an almost 20 month old, work as a sports correspondent, and also trying to balance housework with it. Take it from me, while I love my little one and he is the reason why I am fighting to stay in college (financial aid issues), get college over with first.

I run, am taking two dance classes (have a minor in dance, major in Journalism), and am hoping to restart Insanity and or weight lifting soon. I have my membership to the y that I need to use which I will.

ETA: I am also married (my kiddo is my husband's) and adding that in to balance as well.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to factor your time into it too. I'm in a similar boat, working full time (closer to 50 hrs/week), going back to school (for an ed degree as well!) after a long absence, and trying to spend 5-10 hours/week working out.

I'm not in as much of a rush to finish school (although I would really really like to be done asap), and for now getting in shape and healthy is a huge priority, so I opted to take fewer classes. Just knowing that I'm dragging out school to make time to work out every day has been a huge motivator for me. But, I'm more time-poor than money poor right now.

Check out if the school has a gym, most do. Also, does the school require any elective credits? For me, I have to take 3 "health credits" which can either be one five credit health class or two two credit PE classes. It is cheaper (and more in line with my goals) to take the PE classes.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a regional or a national thing, but there are programs that, if you have a BA in anything, you start working in schools and getting a teaching degree at the same time, with minimal classwork and depending where it's either way cheaper than going back to school or free.
    https://secure.theteachercenter.org/NewTeacher/GeneralInfo/altern_cert.asp
    That website has more info, and check out local universities in your area. If there are high-need schools nearby I'm sure there will be options. Also, some school districts allow you to apply as a para, you get the benefits, and they help pay for school and you can get all your required hours and whatnot in while you're working. At least, that's the way it works where I'm at.

Good luck!