Weight loss surgery....'I want a gastric sleeve next'

Options

Replies

• shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    She then proceeds to say that she has lost 20kg in 12 months of having the band which is "really good"...

That's less than pound a week - how is that "really good"? Seems like a pretty poor return for such a drastic measure, to be honest.

I was going to say the same thing. If she walked for an hour a day and cut her calories a bit...she would have probably lost more (faster). What a waste of money...

This upsets me a bit. My 44 year old sister had gastric band surgery a few years ago for a variety of reasons. She had become extremely morbidly obese. Both of her knees have been without cartilage for at least 10 years now, due to wear and tear from sports while younger and weight when older. She also has thyroid issues that slow her metabolism. She was in a vicious circle where she couldn't exercise because it hurt to move, but she was told by her doctors that she couldn't have knee replacement surgery unless she lost weight. She ultimately found a surgeon who did the gastric band surgery, mostly to jump-start her weight loss so she could have her knee replacement surgery, so she could get up off the couch and start moving. My point is, my sister COULD NOT have walked an hour a day for a year to lose the weight she needed to have the knee replacement surgery, and cutting calories alone would not have been enough. Maybe some people are looking for a "quick fix." But more people need to recognize that what works for someone who is "only" overweight does not work for someone with many other issues on top of being overweight.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - of those of you who have had the procedure - are there any of you who regret the decision? It just seems like a huge amount of change / adaptation for the rest of one's life. I couldn't do it, and nor would I want to. I love food. To each their own and I wish all of you the best with your respective choices.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - of those of you who have had the procedure - are there any of you who regret the decision? It just seems like a huge amount of change / adaptation for the rest of one's life. I couldn't do it, and nor would I want to. I love food. To each their own and I wish all of you the best with your respective choices.

My only regret is that I didn't have it sooner.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options

My only regret is that I didn't have it sooner.

Same here. Also, it's easy to say you'd never have surgery when you're 20-odd pounds overweight. Go gain 200 pounds and get back to me on that.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    i'm pretty sure i didn't say anything about there being "evidence". it was merely an observation.

Yeah – an observation that's absolutely meaningless, that was my point.

Meanwhile, in the real world:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23235396
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

You can expect people to be proud of their decision, while there are many that are now dead because of their decision to get WLS.
  • fishfoodfight
    fishfoodfight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of y'all are being really judgmental and disrespectful, though I can understand why you would think that WLS is an "easy way out" if you don't have a close relationship with someone who went through it. My mom had gastric bypass surgery a few years back after struggling with her weight for 30 years, and it was a major ordeal. If she ate too quickly, mixed liquids and solids, or ate anything that wasn't sugar free during the first year or so, her body would completely go into revolt. She would get violently ill from things that you and I take for granted. It's been at least three or four years since her surgery, and she still cannot (and never will be able to) drink anything carbonated, chew gum, or eat more than a tiny amount of pasta or rice. She is a hundred pounds lighter now, though, and her quality of life is vastly improved because she no longer feels like she's at the bottom of a pit she can never escape.

My point is that unless you actually have any facts to back up your opinion on weight loss surgery, you probably shouldn't have an opinion on weight loss surgery.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...and cutting calories alone would not have been enough.

You can achieve any level of thinness you like by "cutting calories".

Everybody has to make their own choices in life. If someone makes the choice for this type of surgery, as long as it's an informed choice, so be it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery almost a year ago and after hearing about the complications from the band (slippage, eroding, esophagus dilation, constant fills/unfills, etc) I honestly don't blame her for considering something more permanent. Plus once the band is removed weight gain usually follows. The band is temporary and not something that you can have in your body for 20+ years. There are a lot of band to sleeve revisions. The band also makes it hard to eat certain things and experience a "stuck" feeling. Plus the daily vomiting would suck. WLS isn't right for everyone but I can definitely understand why she would want to have a revision surgery. FWIW I can eat whatever I want but I don't feel that overwhelming sense of hunger that I had prior to surgery and this allows me to easily stay within a healthy calorie range (1200-1600), whereas before I would be starving and miserable.

*I'm not trying to convince anyone to have surgery but I can definitely relate to some of the comments because I felt the same way before I had surgery.

Seems like the band would be less invasive and easier to live with, but according to your results, not so.

I think perhaps the lady in the OP's mesage might be wanting to trade the band for the sleeve. Like one is not working, and maybe she wants to go for the next step. Guess she isn't too worried about the complications. kinda like maybe she watches the plastic surgery shows and thinks its a breeze! LOL
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well no. That sounds crazy. But what is a gastric sleeve? I have heard of by-pass and band, but not sleeve.

I am always jealous of people who have weight loss surgery. It seems to me they have it easy.

I am overweight even when I consider myself at a healthy weight, but I am never obese enough to get surgery.

I take some offense to this comment. I just had the "sleeve" 8 weeks ago. I have been overweight my entire life. I have tried all of the diets and exercise plans out there and will lose some weight and then gain it all back again plus more. The "sleeve" or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, is a major surgery and permanent option for weight loss surgery. My surgeon removed about 75-80% of my stomach. He literally took it out of my body. I can never have that back. I don't want it back, but for someone to think that I "took the easy way out", you have no idea what you are talking about. I struggle daily with trying to get in the amount of water that everyone needs in order to stay hydrated. I struggle also to get in the minimum amount of protein that we need to survive also. There is little room for anything else, including healthy options like fruits and vegetables. I will be on vitamin supplements for the rest of my life in order to get these nutrients that I am not able to consume on my own.

And for those of you that think that the lap-band is something you just have removed when you have lost all the weight, that is a common misconception. No surgeon will risk going in to remove it, unless there is a problem which has put the patient in jeopardy.

I know that you didn't mean any offense, but I just think you should really think before you say something like "they took they easy way out". Ask any WLS patient and they will tell you, it is definitely not easy way out. It is very easy to slip into old habits and gain all the weight back, but with this "tool" many people have achieved lifelong weight loss and if they stick to their diet, they keep it off for life.

I have lost 48 lbs so far, but still have a long way to go. VSG 6/25/13

I believe you... i know its not an easy way out.. its very hard.. like is it true that you have to chew food about 20 times till it liquifies in your mouth to make it easier on your new system? and you cant eat everything you crave? and your new stomach may be smaller but did your emotional cravings go away? i dont think so? when you saw something that you craved before surgery, and then saw the same food after, did you crave it less? but before surgery, you could have a large piece of pie, now if you ate that piece of pie, you'd get very very sick,, am i right? so its no easy way out? at least, this is what i learned for the old WLS surgery which I forget the name , they dont do it as much anymore, rats, I forget the name... it was the one they were doing in 2003, i learned aobut it, but got kinda scared to go for it because of the after-effects.
  • fatfudgery
    Options
    You can expect people to be proud of their decision, while there are many that are now dead because of their decision to get WLS.

And many more who are now dead because they didn't. Your point?
  • jewels68
    Options
    I got a Lap Band in 2008. I lost close to 100 pounds. I have kept most of it off for the 5 years but it was never easy. The band is a tool. But I soon learned I could eat around it. Which means I would look for soft foods that went down easy. Ice cream, sugar drinks and so on. My daughter also had the Lap Band. She had it removed last year in Oct. and has already lost 100 pounds. She's doing great with it. She had 85% taken out. She eats all the foods she needs to get in her vit's and only takes a multi-vit. every morning.

I'm having my band removed 10.10 & sleeve done 11.14. No WTS is ever easy. Its not a quick fix and you have to learn it's a tool to help lose weight.

I worked at a Weight Loss Center for 3 years before working in an ER. I was just talking to my doctor the other day. They used to do band over by-pass all the time. People would stretch their stomach so much it wouldn't go back. Sleeve has only been around in the states for what maybe 5 plus years and now they are doing band over sleeves. So whatever WLS you get you have to follow the doctors directions or you'll end up back to gaining the weight again.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I wish I was at the table, I could have said "I lost 41.4kg in 12 months by eating all my favourite foods, good job to you..."

BOOM. Kudos to you :smile:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I got a Lap Band in 2008. I lost close to 100 pounds. I have kept most of it off for the 5 years but it was never easy. The band is a tool. But I soon learned I could eat around it. Which means I would look for soft foods that went down easy. Ice cream, sugar drinks and so on. My daughter also had the Lap Band. She had it removed last year in Oct. and has already lost 100 pounds. She's doing great with it. She had 85% taken out. She eats all the foods she needs to get in her vit's and only takes a multi-vit. every morning.

I'm having my band removed 10.10 & sleeve done 11.14. No WTS is ever easy. Its not a quick fix and you have to learn it's a tool to help lose weight.

I worked at a Weight Loss Center for 3 years before working in an ER. I was just talking to my doctor the other day. They used to do band over by-pass all the time. People would stretch their stomach so much it wouldn't go back. Sleeve has only been around in the states for what maybe 5 plus years and now they are doing band over sleeves. So whatever WLS you get you have to follow the doctors directions or you'll end up back to gaining the weight again.

So you have a band and figured out a way around it with soft foods and now you are having that removed and are having the sleeve instead, how will you make sure that you won't find another way to 'cheat'?
  • dma15
    dma15 Posts: 6
    Options
  • dma15
    Options
    I think a lot of y'all are being really judgmental and disrespectful, though I can understand why you would think that WLS is an "easy way out" if you don't have a close relationship with someone who went through it. My mom had gastric bypass surgery a few years back after struggling with her weight for 30 years, and it was a major ordeal. If she ate too quickly, mixed liquids and solids, or ate anything that wasn't sugar free during the first year or so, her body would completely go into revolt. She would get violently ill from things that you and I take for granted. It's been at least three or four years since her surgery, and she still cannot (and never will be able to) drink anything carbonated, chew gum, or eat more than a tiny amount of pasta or rice. She is a hundred pounds lighter now, though, and her quality of life is vastly improved because she no longer feels like she's at the bottom of a pit she can never escape.

My point is that unless you actually have any facts to back up your opinion on weight loss surgery, you probably shouldn't have an opinion on weight loss surgery.
  • dma15
    Options
    here here that's exactly what I said so many people have an opinion on something they know nothing at all about and have probably never met anyone who has had it so don't have a clue at all
  • dma15
    Options

And many more who are now dead because they didn't. Your point?

it has saved more lives than people who have died my surgeon has been doing WLS for well over 10 yrs and has never lost a patient most surgeons haven't lost a patient and have been doing it for a long time more people die from obesity complications than die from WLS death from WLS are few and far between where as death from obesity related diseases is extremely common
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    here here that's exactly what I said so many people have an opinion on something they know nothing at all about and have probably never met anyone who has had it so don't have a clue at all

actually it is not that uncommon that you can go through life never meeting anyone whose had it done. just sayin'
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My little sister had WLS earlier this year. So far she has lot a lot of weight (not sure of the exact amount) but she has returned to a much more "normal" look. One that I haven't seen on her since she was maybe 16 years old. That part makes me happy, but the frequency of relapse, common issues, etc... they worry me. She's my little sister, and I'm about as protective as they come. Not that I would try to tell her what she should do, but there is nothing I can do to stop myself from being genuinely concerned.

WLS has never really been on the table for me, but I've also never been more than 40%BF. Before she told me she was considering the surgery, I had never really done much research on it. I knew enough about it to be concerned (it is a major surgery, after all) but not enough to really understand the risks. So I read. A lot. I also found out that another two acquaintances of mine had WLS in the past couple of years. Not close enough friends that I felt comfortable approaching them for information about the process, but around enough that I could see it wasn't working very well for either of them. The more I read the more I sort of decided on my own what red flags I wanted to look for before really letting myself worry about my little sister.

Reading the success stories here from multiple people who have had WLS gave me the other side of it. What to look for to ease my mind. This part has been really helpful. The people I see here who have taken up a more active lifestyle, and have really used the WLS "tool" to their advantage (instead of trying to work around it, subconsciously or otherwise) are the ones who have really changed themselves for the better.

The other day my sis and I had a chat about working out, running, etc. I learned she is starting the C25K program and is interested in all sorts of physically active things she never would have considered even a year ago. She lives about 6 hours away by car, and I haven't seen her in person since the surgery. She's coming to town for Thanksgiving, and we have a "workout date" planned. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I think she's on the right track. Nearly all of my concerns over her opting for WLS have gone away. In fact, she's a big part of the reason I've gotten so inspired recently to lose weight myself.

Here's to WLS. When it works, it can be a beautiful thing.