Hair Loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I am hoping for some advice.

In the last year or two I have lost about 40% of my hair. I am a woman, so this is really distressful for me.
I have been to the Dr. many times. My blood tests, including TSH, free T3 and Iron have been completely normal. I maintain that I think I have a thyroid problem but my dr. wont hear it because the numbers are normal.
Anyway, I am starting to develop much larger parts throughout my scalp. I am very stressed (and only about this really!) and terrified that I am going to be bald. I see women with almost bald heads at the top part and it terrifies me.

I have tried vitamins, like biotin, nothing has worked. I also wash my hair every 2-3 days because I have been told that too much washing is bad, and I used SLS free shampoo.

Now, importantly, my hair is NOT tearing or breaking. It is falling out at the root. Each hair has a white bulb at the end of it. I feel like when I look at the strand, towards the bulb it has gotten thinner, like the growth is being effected by something.

I think this started before I started the weight loss. And I have no deficiencies so I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• lblert
    Options
    Have you had your glucose levels checked? Hair loss can be a sign of diabetes, insulin resistance, and PCOS.
  • Otsego7875
    Otsego7875 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Im not diabetic.

In terms of PCOS, I'm going to get checked, but my cycle is very regular (irregularity is pretty much THE defining symptom, right?)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Stress makes it worse.

Have you looked into trying Rogaine? Also, maybe you can get a referral to a dermatologist.

ETA: Sometimes just the fact that you restrict calories drastically can cause your body stress and trigger hair loss. And it's one of those things that has to go thru a cycle, so once started you have to ride it out.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is also a sign of malnutrition. Are you eating enough? Your diary would indicate otherwise, assuming it is accurate on the days you log.
  • Otsego7875
    Options
    I'm definitely not going down the rogaine path. I feel like it's a bandaid. If there is something going on internally I would like to treat that. Also rogaine is a slippery slope, once you stop using it symptoms worsen X10. I don't want to depend on it forever.

I have seen a dermatologist, my scalp looks fine but he didn't do any tests (ie follicular biopsy, even a pull test). I think he might be an idiot.

I have been studying abroad in Israel for the last year and a half and the medical system here is really not great. The doctors don't seem to care too much about their jobs :/ (from what I understand they are frustrated about how much they are underpaid).
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think you are not eating enough and are losing hair because of lack of nutrition. - From my cursory look at your diary anyway

Happened to me when I was eatting 1200 cals or less. Once I started eating more (1800+) I no longer have hair loss or any other issues that come iwth eating at a very low calorie deficit.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What about your weightloss? Years ago, I lost weight and also reduced the amount of meat I was eating (substituted beans, so I thought I was OK) and my hair started falling out (not as badly as what you describe, though). My hairdresser recommended more protein and more calcium. I increased my protein and incorporated a yogurt each day and my hair grew back. I still eat a yogurt a day and have not had a hair loss problem since.
  • Otsego7875
    Options
    It might be not enough calories, but then wouldn't blood tests indicate deficiencies? I have none.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    What about your weightloss? Years ago, I lost weight and also reduced the amount of meat I was eating (substituted beans, so I thought I was OK) and my hair started falling out (not as badly as what you describe, though). My hairdresser recommended more protein and more calcium. I increased my protein and incorporated a yogurt each day and my hair grew back. I still eat a yogurt a day and have not had a hair loss problem since.

So true!! Thanks for the tips ^_^
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not going down the rogaine path. I feel like it's a bandaid. If there is something going on internally I would like to treat that. Also rogaine is a slippery slope, once you stop using it symptoms worsen X10. I don't want to depend on it forever.

I have seen a dermatologist, my scalp looks fine but he didn't do any tests (ie follicular biopsy, even a pull test). I think he might be an idiot.

I have been studying abroad in Israel for the last year and a half and the medical system here is really not great. The doctors don't seem to care too much about their jobs :/ (from what I understand they are frustrated about how much they are underpaid).

Sorry to hear this. If you can, find a better dermatologist. And like others said, maybe increase your calories a little to see if it helps. Concentrate on eating lots of fats and proteins. You can change your macro goals in the settings.

eta I'm typo queen today
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? It can be a side effect, especially from psychiatric meds. I just started on a new one and from what I've gathered in the research I've done, hair loss seems to be a huge complaint from patients that their doctors never warned them about. Since doctors don't seem willing (or aware enough) to discuss it, it's unclear whether the hair loss is directly related to the mechanism of the drug itself, or if it's a product of the resulting malnutrition caused by the severe appetite suppression side effect...
  • Otsego7875
    Options
    Are you on any medications? It can be a side effect, especially from psychiatric meds. I just started on a new one and from what I've gathered in the research I've done, hair loss seems to be a huge complaint from patients that their doctors never warned them about. Since doctors don't seem willing (or aware enough) to discuss it, it's unclear whether the hair loss is directly related to the mechanism of the drug itself, or if it's a product of the resulting malnutrition caused by the severe appetite suppression side effect...

nope. no medications :(
  • adayinparis
    adayinparis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have had tremendous hair loss and just received something in the mail for Mira hair oil. I haven't bought it yet but I tried looking up scams on it and couldn't find anything so I think I am going to try it. The tesimonials I have found are all over the place. I received the mailer which gives you a free shampoo and conditioner with the oil whereas if you order it on the various online websites you only get a free bottle of shampoo.

In any event, if you would like the phone number on the mailer I received just let me know - but it really sounds promising and I'm normally very skeptical. Good luck!

Tammy