any lap banders out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.

Can you please tell me what health benefits it provides that are not found in slower weightloss programs? I am not being a d!ck either I really would like to know.

Edited because typing on my phone leads to massive spelling errors.

Spelling errors don't bother me. The most dramatic difference that I've heard of is that children born to women who have had weight loss surgery often have less genetic obesity markers than children born before they had the surgery.

In diabetics, HbA1c levels are stastically lower for weight loss surgery patients, even several years out, than those that lost through exercise and diet alone.

I'm not pro- or anti- weight loss surgery, BTW. I'm just anti- telling others what they should or should not do because I'm "expert" enough to create an account on a free internet site.

I'm sorry but weight loss surgery somehow affects genetics??????
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery has proven to provide health benefits that are not found in slower weight loss programs. It's not without risk and it's own challenges though, so what is "better" is subjective.

Can you please tell me what health benefits it provides that are not found in slower weightloss programs? I am not being a d!ck either I really would like to know.

Spelling errors don't bother me. The most dramatic difference that I've heard of is that children born to women who have had weight loss surgery often have less genetic obesity markers than children born before they had the surgery.

In diabetics, HbA1c levels are stastically lower for weight loss surgery patients, even several years out, than those that lost through exercise and diet alone.

I'm not pro- or anti- weight loss surgery, BTW. I'm just anti- telling others what they should or should not do because I'm "expert" enough to create an account on a free internet site.

Yes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57586480/moms-who-had-weight-loss-surgery-may-pass-on-healthier-genes/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57586480/moms-who-had-weight-loss-surgery-may-pass-on-healthier-genes/

To point out, it wasn't the surgery but the fact that the mother lost the weight prior to having the child. The surgery doesn't affect someone's genetics.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes.

To point out, it wasn't the surgery but the fact that the mother lost the weight prior to having the child. The surgery doesn't affect someone's genetics.

I stand corrected. I should have answered your question with "no" and the link. It doesn't change the fact that these changes have not been observed in mothers who lost without surgery. But you are correct, the surgery was just a weight loss tool.

You great. Me bad.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Yes.

isn't it more so to the fact that that mother can no longer eat the quantity of food she previously was able to eat and has had to make a complete 180 in her diet which probably means the kids are eating more along the lines of there mother/parents which in retrospect the children stand less of a chance of becoming obese which improves their health markers as well... I would believe that over the other....
  • PrettyBirdieGirl
    Options
    because I have 2 co-morbitity factors against me: Type 2 diabetes and I had a heart attack last Oct. Between all the meds for each, my body is having a really hard time letting me lose any weight. Both my cariologis and endocrinologis have signed off on the procedure.
    My stretch goal is 75 lbs.
    Great question! Thanks for asking :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you are referring to the Dampil "study" it's not a very good study and your conclusion is incorrect - the "conventional therapy" he compared was not for "those that lost through exercise alone" but those that tried conventional therapy and did not lose.

So yes weight loss surgery shows lower HbA1c vs patients that did not lose via conventional therapy but this is a meta study that only included a few studies versus other studies that have actually shown no difference in diabetic markets on weight loss method, as long as equivalent loss amounts are seen.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Yes.

isn't it more so to the fact that that mother can no longer eat the quantity of food she previously was able to eat and has had to make a complete 180 in her diet which probably means the kids are eating more along the lines of there mother/parents which in retrospect the children stand less of a chance of becoming obese which improves their health markers as well... I would believe that over the other....

This is actually an interesting study but it is really a good argument to lose weight.

The study found that expression of genes (and not the actual genes themselves) was modified in patients that had lost a lot of weight (via surgery) versus their twins. The study does not compare gene methylation between people that lost via surgery vs other ways.

The only reasonable conclusion that can be reached is that gene expression is complex and isn't just regulated by the genes themselves but by the maternal environment prior to birth - epigenetics at it's finest.

Unfortunately, the spin that the media have taken is that since this occured in surgery patients - it's the surgery, not the essential weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes.

This is actually an interesting study but it is really a good argument to lose weight.

The study found that expression of genes (and not the actual genes themselves) was modified in patients that had lost a lot of weight (via surgery) versus their twins. The study does not compare gene methylation between people that lost via surgery vs other ways.

The only reasonable conclusion that can be reached is that gene expression is complex and isn't just regulated by the genes themselves but by the maternal environment prior to birth - epigenetics at it's finest.

Unfortunately, the spin that the media have taken is that since this occured in surgery patients - it's the surgery, not the essential weight loss.

I think this is a different study. This is about the genetic differences in children born to female patients who have had surgery when compared to children born to the same women while they were obese.

But the twin study sounds interesting.

ETA: OP, sorry for highjacking your thread. I just find all this data they are now gathering on weight loss pts fascinating. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Yes.

I think this is a different study. This is about the genetic differences in children born to female patients who have had surgery when compared to children born to the same women while they were obese.

But the twin study sounds interesting.

ETA: OP, sorry for highjacking your thread. I just find all this data they are now gathering on weight loss pts fascinating. :flowerforyou:

Epigenetics - study shows a change due to weight loss not necessarily specific to surgery. Read the conclusions.

Edit - I do not consider this a highjack as the idea that surgery has specific benefits (based on a genetic change) was brought up. Surgery does have some benefits - speed, success rates but the genetic changes should not be considered as a plus OVER conventional loss.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    OP good luck. Glad you've apparently got lots of medical folks on board, and I'm sorry to hear of your other health problems that are making weight loss harder.

FWIW. My ex was obese, likely in the morbidly section of BMI -- don't know as he isn't my problem any more. He also had high cholesterol, uncontrolled diabetes, a tendency to have an external locus of control and to view a meal as a challenge as to how much he could put away. He was a sloth.

I don't think you are any of these things. This man is unique and always surprising, I'm just painting a picture of someone with a lot against him healthwise.

Last winter he was ordered to find a job or risk jail. So he got bronchitis. And pneumonia. Not a job. He laid around even more than usual. Then they were about to go to court to enforce the job or jail sentence order and within 2 days he's being admitted to the Mayo Clinic with congestive heart failure at 39 years old. He says there's viral myowhositwhatsit that caused it. He's gonna be discharge the next day so he has a stroke that night. Because he's at the Mayo Clinic (on the taxpayer dime btw) he does not die but is partially blinded cannot get his words and their meanings straight and is slurring speech and unable to walk. Daily therapy from three kinds of therapists and a couple of seizures later he's released, rehospitalized and released again. Lots if outpatient therapy and the DASH diet.

Here we are about 8 months later with him applying for Social Security and trying to get me to pay child support because he cant work. But thanks to medical miracles he's still with us.

Medical miracles sure. And that DASH diet. And daily walks. With that, this guy taking handfuls of meds each day has managed to lose probably 80 pounds. Just diet and exercise. And that guy will probably live for years. Joy.

So do what you want and good luck. But don't underestimate what diet and exercise can do.
  • Fastima_Jones
    Options
    Hi, I had lap band surgery on March 28, 2013, my starting weight was 318 pounds. So far I have lost 85 pounds, my goal weight is a 145lbs I am hoping to reach it before my 41st birthday. Since the surgery I c an tell you I feel so much better, health wise and confidence wise as well, I exercise daily( something I never did before) now it nothing for me to get up and get active. My next goal as the weight continues to shed is that I want to start running, I just don't know how to get started. I am afraid that if I just start jogging I might fall dead of a heart attack: :laugh: at this point my body is not use to that much movement. The one exercise I have come to LOVE is boxing :heart:. helps me feel controlled on this chaotic life I am in. I hope that all you lap banders are having much success with your weight loss journeys.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    For the love of everything in the universe DO NOT have a stupid lapband. My parents signed me up to get one at 17 and I spent years unable to keep down so much as water and my own spit. I would literally throw up my own spit. I wish I was kidding. Yeah, I lost. But I also went nearly a week at a time without being able to keep down anything. You go, get a fill, $100. Too tight, you puke. Unfill $100. You can eat too much, get a fill $100. Too tight, puke, $100 to unfill. I had my unfilled and still could not keep down water. There was NOTHING in it.

I lived off of soup/mashed potatoes every THREE days because that's about how often I could keep food down.

-116 later, BY MYSELF.

It's awful, seriously.

Stop eating crap food and move your *kitten*.

^^^^ THIS