Moderation not clean eating

Options
I know so many people say you have to eat clean, no processed, etc. I am more of the everything in moderation type of person. I had to delete a user who would message me for eating something because it was processed on the regular. I have lost 21 lbs since June and am picking up the exercise now. I am not saying clean eating is bad, but that is not how I am eating right now.
I am a college student taking 16 credits that include a physics lab and part 1 of my senior seminar, sometimes between class all I have time for is a hot pocket. Sometimes at night i just am too busy studying to take time to make dinner and pop a lean cuisine in the microwave. When I have to drive home thursday night, I go to classes all day and leave from class get in my car and drive the 3 hours. Fast food is usually my option because I don't have storage for the 4 hours I am in classes. I still stay in my calorie limit and am enjoying the food. I eat out 1 or 2 times a week. I generally cook for myself all week, not really using the school choices. I am not constantly eating heavily processed foods but lay off people. If you are a clean eater and you criticize the people who are using the moderation idea, LEAVE US ALONE! You made your choice and we made ours.

I am sorry just needed to get that off my chest

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Man I would be messaged a lot too if I had a MFP friend like that. I too eat processed food, and I enjoy every bit of it. Sure I try and do my best to cook things myself but like you said, sometimes all you have time for is to grab a lean cuisine.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Glad I have someone on the moderation wagon! When your time is precious you don't always think "hmmm what food can I haved that is unprocessed and natural". Usually I check calories and then eat!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here's an article you might be interested in...and for any lurkers too :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746
  • _jordy_
    _jordy_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work part-time, go to school full-time and work out for 2 hours a day.
    I eat clean.
    But then again,I don't really like 'hot pockets' or the like either. They're more expensive in the long run, I find.
    Cost-saving measures always take precedent for me.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I would love to be able to eat unprocessed foods but most of the time I lean towards convenience. I have lost 37 pounds since January. I just enjoyed a Kozy Shack sugar free rice pudding! 70 calories. LOL
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I've never been a clean eater... except when I'm eating a sammich after a shower.
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm all for moderation! I really believe it's the only way I will be successful. I think clean eating is great, but I thrive under the flexible approach.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of processed foods anymore... but that is because many of them have ingredients that I currently can not have for medical reasons. There is nothing wrong with it in moderation. If you have a hot pocket today for lunch, then maybe tomorrow you should try for something a bit more "fresh".

Besides, there is no one clear definition as to "clean" eating. If the people who push it can't even define it, then there is a problem with the concept.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've never been a clean eater... except when I'm eating a sammich after a shower.

This, exactly. :happy:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
  • LaxRunLift
    LaxRunLift Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been eating dessert everyday for the past month and I'm still losing at about the same rate. There's no one right answer when it comes to weight loss/gain/maintenance. It's such a personal thing, it's ridiculous when people criticize others just for eating something they don't eat!
  • blondiebabe92
    Options
    It would be nice to eat unprocessed food. My day is just too full usually. If I am not in class, I am meeting for a group project. If it is not that I have a paper to write. I have physics problems to do or a create a video for a presentation. If it isn't school, I have my job to worry about. I work out 20-45 minutes 5 days a week. I actually eat lean pockets, not the regular for the record. Fast food for me means subway or a grill place. I make the healthy choices. I mostly just wanted to vent about people who think clean eating is the only way. I literally get zero time to do stuff for myself this semester and next. I think it is more important my time go towards my grades then to trying to focus on food. I am paying for this education and by god I will keep my honors graduate status.
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just happened across this thread - I AM a "clean"-er eater, BUT, I am not "holier than thou" with it.

I have nothing against processed foods, I've lost more weight eating processed foods than I have since recently changing to a "cleaner" diet.

JUST because I eat clean doesn't mean I get to eat as much as I want. I DEFINITELY agree with you about moderation before important - It's probably more important than processed vs. clean food.

Plus, on nights like tonight where I've had a long day at work and don't want to cook, I like the fact that I can pop in a Lean Cuisine Panini (which I love) and not feel the LEAST bit guilty about it. :)
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    While I am a lot older than you, I, too, am on your wagon - EVERYTHING in moderation. I will not feel deprived. We each have to do what is best for us! Our life, our choice!
  • blondiebabe92
    Options
    I just happened across this thread - I AM a "clean"-er eater, BUT, I am not "holier than thou" with it.

I have nothing against processed foods, I've lost more weight eating processed foods than I have since recently changing to a "cleaner" diet.

JUST because I eat clean doesn't mean I get to eat as much as I want. I DEFINITELY agree with you about moderation before important - It's probably more important than processed vs. clean food.

Plus, on nights like tonight where I've had a long day at work and don't want to cook, I like the fact that I can pop in a Lean Cuisine Panini (which I love) and not feel the LEAST bit guilty about it. :)
    I love the paninis to! make a quick salad on the side! I want to eat clean, college is just not the time for me personally to do it. When I don't have to be doing something from 7am - 12am even on weekends, will be more time for me to actually say okay let's cut out the processed stuff
  • blondiebabe92
    Options
    While I am a lot older than you, I, too, am on your wagon - EVERYTHING in moderation. I will not feel deprived. We each have to do what is best for us! Our life, our choice!

Preach it sister!

And you are not that much older then me! :wink:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is more for those who want to build lean muscle and tone things up. I ate in moderation during my weight loss part, but now cleaning things up but still not 100%, I've noticed a lot of changes since doing this but no you don't have to eat clean to lose weight.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My daughter's school is having a fundraiser at Cold Stone Creamery tonight. Dinner will be ice-cream. :drinker: (She will have a healthier dinner with her dad beforehand, but I won't have time for anything else.)
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    You need to try and eat as clean as possible. You can still enjoy everyday meals, you just have to have the knowledge on how to cook them. Try some of these recipes
    http://www.isefitness.com/eating-clean-healthy--meals