Measuring food by weight or by size?

I am particularly talking about things like cheese and cereal. For example, on the back of shredded cheese bags it says that there are 110 calories in 1/4 cup of cheese. There are 8oz in the bag, and 8 servings in the bag. Does this mean that one ounce of cheese is equal to a quarter cup? Because when I put cheese into the measuring cup I have, it is far less than when I weigh out one ounce on my food scale. Which one is accurate? Can the same be said for cereal and other foods?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Weight is always the most accurate.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Weight, for everything.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Weight for me...on the back of the bag it should say something like 50g (1/4 cup) I know my cottage cheese says 1/2 or 125g...you should see how much 125g is...was more then 1/2 cup...
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    VOLUME vs WEIGHT...look at the difference in a measuring cup full of cereal and putting 8 oz of cereal on a scale.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Yup, weight for everything. You can get yourself a really nice little digital scale for around $20.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Going by weight would be most accurate. Just remember, the nutritional value you see on packages is an estimate in itself, so it's best not to over obsess on the numbers. Once I measure things out a few times from my meal rotation, I usually just eyeball it.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Weight is the only accurate way to measure. Try measuring out that 1/4 cup of cheese or cup of cereal and then weigh what you measured. You could be eating a lot more calories than you think if you don't weigh.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Weight is definitely better.

I read somewhere (some cooking science magazine or text book from culinary school, so I trust it), that companies that make measuring cups and spoons are allowed up to a 25% margin of error. In every high end restaurant and bakery you will see that they weigh everything, measure nothing.