How to fit in all the water??

Options
Most days I find myself chugging 6 cups of water before bed to be able to say I had all 8 for the day, but I know that can't be as good as drinking throughout the day... any tips on how to get it in a healthier way and make sure I stay on track?

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I have two glasses (4 cups) by 9:30am every morning. 2 cups when I wake up (before my coffee), and then I refill the glass because I can drink it at room temp., faster. Then another 4cups by dinner (2 cups with lunch, and 2cups before dinner).

Some days I find myself drinking extra, but I almost always get my 8 long before bedtime.

Good Luck.
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz jug at work...I make sure to drink one of those while I'm at work. Then I only have 4 more cups for when I get home. So as long as a drink while I work out and at dinner I can usually fit it in.

But if it's just the taste of water that makes it hard for you, try adding flavors or lemon.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    But if it's just the taste of water that makes it hard for you, try adding flavors or lemon.

If your water has a 'taste' get a Brita filter or one you fit on your kitchen faucet (carbon filters) these will remove most (chlorine, etc..) tastes from water. Remember 'clean' water should not taste like anything.

Of course if your water is just 'boring' then what FutureRunner said. :wink:
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 oz. on the way to work, then have 8 oz with breakfast, normally 16 oz with lunch, and then I try to drink 8 oz. before I go home.. Then I end up drinking the rest of my water during the workout or after.. It's hard to get use to it at first, but you'll get there... Just be prepared to see a lot more of your bathroom :smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's not good to chug too much water at once - It's much healthier to spread it throughout the day. I drink 1 cup when I wake up, 1 cup before I go to bed (after brushing my teeth) and spread the rest out. I'm lucky to have a desk job, so I keep a water bottle at work. I'm not always good at making myself drink it - but that's a self-discipline issue. When I put my mind to it, keeping a water bottle with me all day really helps.

Other tricks some people use:
    -Drink a glass of water every time you use the bathroom
    -If you're at home all day, keep a cup that is your water cup, and drink some every time you go into the kitchen or the living room or whatever your room of choice is.
    -Only allow yourself to drink something other than water after you've had a cup of water.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I drink my first cup either with breakfast or right after and then everytime I head to the bathroom I fill up my cup again at the water fountain.

I just always have my water in front of me with my hand on the glass so I remember to drink.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a few water bottles that are 20-28 oz. each. I fill it with filtered water before I leave the house for work in the morning. I sip it my whole way to work. I have it on my desk all day and refill it by early afternoon. Then I try to drink all that and have a refill for the drive home. I drink one while I am at the gym as well.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    We have 16 oz. plastic cups here at my office. Here's what I do:

When I arrive, I fill one up and either drink it with my breakfast (which I eat at work) or if I don't finish it with the food I just chug it right after. Then, between breakfast and lunch I make sure I drink another full 16 oz. cup of water. Then I drink one more 16 oz. cup full with my lunch. I stop drinking after that, because if I have any more, I will probably pee my pants on the way home (I have an hour long commute). Lol. Then, I have another 16 oz. with dinner at home. That's all 8 glasses.

The weekends are a different story for me, as it's harder to keep that schedule, and I usually don't drink enough on the weekends.

Hope that helps!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have 24 oz. water bottles at work and home. I know that if I drink three of those in a day, that's nine glasses. Work days, it's usually 24 oz. by lunchtime, another 24oz. through the afternoon, then 24 oz. at home with dinner and working out. Weekends, I try to stick with the same schedule. It's easier for me to remember to drink those 3 big servings then trying to remember each individual 8 oz. glass.

I also LOVE seeing the little glass get filled up in my MFP food diary. It's so gratifying for me to see the water spill over the top when I reach 9 glasses. I'm a nerd, I know! :tongue: :laugh:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    16 oz when I wake up
    56 oz throughout the day at work
    at least 16 to 32 oz after my workout
  • mamunroe
    mamunroe Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I usually manage to get in all the water. Most people find water boring and I do too sometimes. Once in awhile I will brew a pot of flavored green tea (blueberry is my favorite) and then add a crystal light single to it and add water to make 8 cups. It is mostly water but pleasantly flavored and not so boring.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I refilled a milk gallon with water and drink from it throughout the day. I aim for the whole thing, but half is 8 cups. It makes it way easier.
  • Kazren
    Kazren Posts: 88
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but I have to set myself targets for my drinks, i challenge myself to drink one glass (250ml) every two hours as for example i have one glass between 7- 9, 9-11, 11-1, 1-3, 3-5, 5-7, 7-9, 9-11, this works for me but i need to do it this way as i can quiet happily get to five or six in the afternoon before thinking crap! i have not had anything to drink today!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Carry water bottles with you all day and sip out of it once in a while. I used to be horrible at drinking enough water and now I can't do without it! :) I always have one around, even at my work console.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit, if a drink is in my hand, I take a sip every few seconds (good when I'm carrying water- bad when I'm at the bar). I keep a 44 oz cup in my car for work, and just refill it all day as needed. I'm not as good about drinking water at home, but I'm at work 8-14 hours a day, so I guess it probably evens out.
  • gemzy24
    gemzy24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have just got into the habit as i dont really drink tea or coffee i drink bottles and bottles of water through out my day at work then also i drink pleanty whilst working out
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    A few years ago I started drinking hot water, and it became a habit to go refill my cup with hot water just to talk to people who worked the kitchens at school :wink:

Now I keep a ceramic "take-out cup" (the I Am Not A Paper Cup cup) by me at all times and keep it filled up with hot water. I like the coffee cup shape and lid (idk, I am a little weird) so I like to drink from it. Also, it holds 10 oz. so really drinking 7 cups is already past the 8 8oz. cup recommendation.

Drink water as your beverage during meals (it helps with cutting out liquid calories too!). And drink a cup of warm water as soon as you wake up. It wakes up your digestive system and replaces water you lost while sleeping! Whenever your mouth feels like it wants to eat something, drink a cup of water. It might just be thirsty!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a cup at my desk at work and I fill it three times through the day (gets me 7 1/2). I count all liquids, too, so if I have some juice or tea or hot chocolate, I count it. But I usually get way more than 8, anyway.

At home, I just drink it. I don't know that there's a trick other than to always have a glass or bottle of water in your presence.
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My trick is to use a straw. For some reason I always drink more when I have a straw in my bottle or use a cup with straw (like the ones you get at any fast food restaurant). Seems like it's less of an effort to swallow that way or something ;)
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have/use a big cup that can hold nearly a quart of water and I drink a cup with every meal 4x.. I also drink about a half gallon when I WO.