Anyone experience this?

Options
Sometimes I go over on calories because I snack all day on low calorie foods... They don't fill me up much and I eat more of them. I was wondering... Is this just as bad as eating a more filling meal that's the same amount of calories? I mean, it's less food technically but more filling and higher in calories... I just feel like I'm constantly eating and then have offset the calorie intake with working out... Then I'm hungry again... Seems like a viscous cycle. Has anyone else experienced this??

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would eat what satisfies me, because in the end you really go for the thing that you really desire. Take the example of the other day - when i had the choice of a gourmet cupcake with 1 inch frosting vs a healthy salad sitting side by side - with your dilemma facing me. you try to substitute for that cupcake with salad, but the cupcake is bugging you. better to eat a small cupcake and satisfy you which really has a little bit of calories then to overload with a bunch of low calorie foods that will cumulatively add up to more calories than the little cupcake would give you.

Though on the other hand, sugary food seems to stimulate your appetite, so i try to fill up with protein if possible, and fiber. if i am hungry at night, i eat a cup of cereal with a cup of milk and that satisfies me, as opposed to a fruit, though i eat a fruit for a snack and that satisfies me. i will not eat a rice cake for example, because someone thinks i ought to eat a rice cake.
  • m313m
    Options
    I've been eating well balanced meals that are much smaller than my pre-diet servings, yet I feel satisfied and have good energy—for about 3 or 4 hours. Then, I need a snack (e.g. 100 calories of peanuts/almonds or some veggies and hummus) to keep up my energy. You might try trading quantity for quality and eating snacks that are more satisfying because they are richer or denser.
  • wonderkitty
    wonderkitty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think there is an impact on metabolism either way?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think there is an impact on metabolism either way?

Metabolism is the cost of doing business: it's the cost of breathing, having blood pump round your body, having your kidneys flush and your digestive tract relax and contract.

Ignore it.

I eat the thing I want. I don't snack on carrots if I'm hungry because they depress me and leave me hungrier. I'll snack on a carrot if I feel peckish, or like I want to chomp something - but if I am hungry I will have a meal.
  • marianb2001
    marianb2001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do this when I don't have a good plan in place for my meals. You know - some nuts here, some cheese sticks there, a V8....and then I am trying to figure out dinner at the end of the day. It's tough sometimes but I thik in time it gets easier. I am at 1200 cals, so I try to break the day up into quarters including snacks. Are you eating breakfast? It will keep you fuller longer and if you start the day off right you are less likely to stray IM humble O.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go over on calories because I snack all day on low calorie foods... They don't fill me up much and I eat more of them. I was wondering... Is this just as bad as eating a more filling meal that's the same amount of calories? I mean, it's less food technically but more filling and higher in calories... I just feel like I'm constantly eating and then have offset the calorie intake with working out... Then I'm hungry again... Seems like a viscous cycle. Has anyone else experienced this??

Something that I have learned and works for me is eating things with protein in it. It keeps me full longer. I normally eat every 2-3 hours or so also. I do think you need to eat something that satisfies but yet doesn't over fill you. Eating small meals/snacks like 6 a day has helped me. But I honestly feel it's what I eat that makes the difference. I eat quest protein bars a lot. They have 20 grams of protein and anywhere between 4-6 net carbs, also high in fiber. Those things keep me full. Also eating light and fit 2x protein greek yogurt helps me.
  • m313m
    Options
    I don't know about metabolism, but I've been surprised how little hunger I experience after cutting my calories about 40%. I've been planning meals to emphasize good nutrition, then worrying about portion size to limit calories. I figure I will be able to eat more after reaching my target weight, but I won't have to change what I eat very much. It isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle change that formalizes my better eating instincts and reduces my bad habits.

I found a lot of useful here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-to-eat-healthy/MY02264
    You may be able to find more detail about this approach elsewhere by searching for TLC diet (therapeutic lifestyle changes).
    I have also read a lot of lists about what foods have various vitamins and minerals and concluded I could get them all from food without resorting to supplements.
  • wonderkitty
    wonderkitty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do this when I don't have a good plan in place for my meals. You know - some nuts here, some cheese sticks there, a V8....and then I am trying to figure out dinner at the end of the day. It's tough sometimes but I thik in time it gets easier. I am at 1200 cals, so I try to break the day up into quarters including snacks. Are you eating breakfast? It will keep you fuller longer and if you start the day off right you are less likely to stray IM humble O.

I drink a slim fast shake on the way to work every morning. I then find myself starting the snacking process about 2 hrs later.
  • beverlyann1726
    beverlyann1726 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast for a while in the mornings. It never kept me full for more than two hours. Even though it claims to control hunger for up to 4 hours. I've started eating about 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories for the day in the morning, as my first meal. Then I'm not as hungry throughout the day. But in doing this, I have to make sure I eat a light lunch and dinner. The light dinner helps me because my work schedule doesn't allow me the time to wait 2 to 3 hours after I eat to go to bed. This way, less calories are being "stored" while I sleep. I've done the 100 calorie snacks throughout the day also, and they just weren't satisfying enough. I got a more "full" feeling after grabbing an apple or some grapes instead. And drink LOTS of water. I was never much of a water drinker, but now I keep a bottle with me at all times and sip on it all day. The more water I drink, the less hungry I am. Hope this helps.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird; but there's a difference between being hungry, and thinking you're hungry.

It wasn't until I started doing a pretty BIG deficit that I actually realized WHAT it felt like to be hungry. Most of my life I was eating, when I thought I was hungry. I know this is a terrible explanation, but I can't really come up with a better way to explain it (I realize I sound like a crazy person). Think of it as there's a difference between hunger and cravings. You might not necessarily be hungry, but you're craving food (in general)

Think of it like... most of the times we snack it's from stress, boredom,etc.

Some of the things that might help are drinking more water (I drink about 1 gallon per day), or something to keep your mouth occupied (chewing gum, hard candy,etc).
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird; but there's a difference between being hungry, and thinking you're hungry.

It wasn't until I started doing a pretty BIG deficit that I actually realized WHAT it felt like to be hungry. Most of my life I was eating, when I thought I was hungry. I know this is a terrible explanation, but I can't really come up with a better way to explain it (I realize I sound like a crazy person). Think of it as there's a difference between hunger and cravings. You might not necessarily be hungry, but you're craving food (in general)

Think of it like... most of the times we snack it's from stress, boredom,etc.

Some of the things that might help are drinking more water (I drink about 1 gallon per day), or something to keep your mouth occupied (chewing gum, hard candy,etc).

I get this. Sometimes I'll feel like eating but then when I really think about it, there's no actual 'hunger' in my tummy. That's when I find something else to do to alleviate what is usually boredom.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink a beer =)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between "low calorie foods" and foods that are BOTH low calorie AND satiating. Eating tons of small amounts of low cal foods that don't keep you full (like slim fast shakes!) isn't a great long term plan b/c who wants to spend their entire life battling the urge to eat more snacks? Foods like slim fast shakes are also loaded with simple carbs, which will make you hungry again in the near future.

Instead, get used to eating real minimally processed foods that will keep you filled up. Solid protein and non-starchy veggies are going to give you the most amount of satiation per calorie. Try cottage cheese, lean meats, greek yogurt (a bit high in sugar but it still has lots of protein), etc. You could also try grazing on a handful of almonds, or some sort of veggie like carrot sticks. I actually bring a bag of almond, broccoli, and cauliflower to work everyday and graze on it throughout the morning. People make fun of me but after getting used to the taste it's a very easy way to stay full all morning without eating too many calories, and I've been doing it for years. Plus those types of foods have tons of other health benefits too.

Another great way to combat the urge to snack is with a caffeinated zero calorie drink like coffee or tea. If you have to satisfy your sweeth tooth, just have some fruit on hand.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options

Some people confuse being thirsty with being hungry. Try drinking more.

I find that when I eat healthier type food with the same amount of calories as crappy food I tend to lose more weight. If your hungry all the time, maybe your not eating a balanced diet. Maybe add like rice or whole wheat food.

I am starving the day after I eat crappy food. It sends my body on a hunger roller coaster. I wish I could see your dairy because if your not consistent with a healthy diet every single day (which you may be, i don't know) it could really mess your body up.

If your truly hungry, eat. If your stomach is rumbling and you feel famished, eat.

Are you eating enough protein?

Slime fast= Hell no
    Protein shake= Hell yeah
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't typically snack during the day. I like actual meals, and if I graze, I usually end up overeating because I still want to have a "real" dinner. I also find that if I snack a lot (say, when I am at a conference or meeting), I typically don't journal everything - it's too hard to remember every piece of crudite or mini muffin, so I try to stay away from the snacks and just wait for the real meals.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Real food is always my answer, a protein shake is called for in recovery after a huge workout, but not called for in place of your breakfast. I'm not a shake hater, but I believe in real food. Sometimes we have expended so much in our workouts that we need something and we need it fast ... that is when a shake is called for.

So eat your breakfast. On some of those snacks eat something like almonds instead of carrots ... protein stays with you longer. Hang in there and good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters. Whether you eat them in littel bits throughout the day, or in one huge meal, it's not going to make any noticable difference.

Unless you've been advised by a doctor to eat certain foods or at certain times for medical reasons, just eat however keeps you satisfied and on track.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Balance protein, cards and fat. I find if I don't I am hungry right after.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You're either not eating as much or as little as you think you are or eating the wrong balance of foods.

If you're hungry you need to eat.

High fiber and high protein foods fill you up and are generally low in calories. When I do it right I eat an enormous amount food and I struggle with calories. See today and yesterday and 2 days ago. I can still fix today, but i'm struggling with what to add that is within my current food plan.

Maybe add another piece of chicken to your dinner or a can of tuna to your lunch?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're snacking on foods marketed as being low cal or low fat snacks.

Aim to include protein, fibre and fat in all your snacks. These will keep you fuller for longer.

e.g.
    milk
    apple with peanut butter
    celery and oatcakes with cheese
    greek yoghurt with berries