what to do then your leg muscle is twitcing?

Options
During the night it kills me. I wake up into a feeling of a raising pain and it gets just stronger and stronger until i bite the pillow and hit the wall... How to stop it?

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    During the night it kills me. I wake up into a feeling of a raising pain and it gets just stronger and stronger until i bite the pillow and hit the wall... How to stop it?

Is it a kind of cramp? maybe a bit more salt in your diet?
  • Ddietdown
    Ddietdown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Usually means your calcium intake is too low. You CAN take calcium pills... but greek yogurt, or nonfat milk or the like will help too.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is known to help with twitches/restless legs/cramping. Take some before bed
  • amyelyseneer
    Options
    There's actually a couple of different causes (dietary) calcium can help, so can a banana (potassium) and a glass of milk (vitamin D).

There's a few simple stretches you can try that I find help stave off leg twitchies and cramps.

One is to stand with your toes on a step (a step block, a curb, or if you worry you'll fall, a stair with rails to hold onto) and your heels and arches off the edge then slowly drop your heels down 'til you feel your calf muscles stretch hold it for a count that you are comfortable with, I usually do it for a count of five, then slowly unflex. This should be a very smooth motion don't jerk anything. then turn around and with your heels on the step repeat with your toes dropping down, til you feel the stretch again.

The other one is to stand straight up, and cross your legs below the knee so your feet are crossed, then very slowly from your shoulders rolling down bend over as far as you can towards your toes, go down until you feel the stretch, then hold for a comfortable count, (the more you do this the longer you'll be able to hold it for) then starting at your waist roll smoothly back up til you are standing straight again, then switch your feet so they are crossed with the one that was in back in front and do it again. Again this is a very smooth slow stretch, don't bounce, and you don't need to do any reps, just slow steady smooth motion. once for each leg.

Do these before and after you do any running or walking and once again before you go to bed. It really can help with leg muscle issues.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If it is your calve cramping one trick that works is to point your toes upward. It hurts a little at first but it works. Which muscles are doing it? If its the weird muscle ticks sometime pushing on them for a bit, like a deep tissue massage helps.
  • I am not a Dr nor did I sleep at a Holiday in Express, however my left leg cramping was diagnosed as poor blood flow due to a past injury. My Dr reccomended me to start taking a B complex vitamin and Vitamin P
    Vitamin B
    The family of nutrients known as vitamin B complex is a good example. Beans, molasses, meat, potatoes, lentils, and chili peppers are good sources of B vitamins. But these nutrients are water-soluble, so they aren’t stored in the body. That means supplements are the best way to make certain that ample supplies are available throughout the day. Look for a product containing the entire B complex in a balanced formula, and follow dosage instructions.

Vitamin P
    The main benefits of vitamin P come from its function as an antioxidant. It can neutralize and fight the effects of oxidation and free radicals in the body, which are both associated with aging, cellular damage, and conditions like cancer, Parkinson's disease, asthma, ulcers, allergies, among others. It also helps prevent colds, reduces inflammation, and promotes capillary and circulatory health. In addition to this, flavonoids are thought to increase and regulate the concentration of another antioxidant, glutathione, and has a symbiotic working relationship with vitamin C in which each substance increases the other's effect.

It took about 2 weeks for my leg cramps to cease.

Once again Not a Dr nor did I sleep at a Holiday in Express, however these two vitamins allows me to have a good nights sleep.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering if you had restless leg. But that doesn't hurt. It just drives you insane as it keeps you awake for hours. You have the need to move the leg. Suddenly, jerkily... and then you move and it feels okay for a few seconds... then it builds... then you have to jerk the leg again.

If you've got that check and see what chemicals you've added into your life, or removed from it. I got it something shocking, along with insomnia, when I quit smoking. Sleeping pills for about a week solved both problems.