No Knead-No Hassle Artisan Bread

Options

Replies

• shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this! Thank you for sharing.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    bump thanks!
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • SunnySouth2013
    SunnySouth2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've always been afraid to make bread, but this one I'll have to try. Thank you!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy and easy!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What kind of pot are you using? Stainless steel? Cast iron? Porcelain type? Glass? I have this terrible vision of having to rip bread off the walls of my pot ..... Is there any harm in spraying with Pam or something?

This sounds fantastic - just don't want to mess it up!

• roman109
    Options
    bump
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    yum
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    What kind of pot are you using? Stainless steel? Cast iron? Porcelain type? Glass? I have this terrible vision of having to rip bread off the walls of my pot ..... Is there any harm in spraying with Pam or something?

This sounds fantastic - just don't want to mess it up!

I do it in a Le Creuset, my mother uses a clay casserole. Neither of us sprays the pan, no issue cleaning it up. I suspect glass and cast iron would work just fine but not sure about stainless steel.
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    keep
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bump
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make this.

Can anyone convert "all purpose flour" into Australian for me please? Is this "plain flour"?
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    gotta try this!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make this.

Can anyone convert "all purpose flour" into Australian for me please? Is this "plain flour"?

I would guess yes.
    I use the same recipe, but with bread flour, so you can use that if you have it.
  • claudiakendall7
    Options
    bump Thank you
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    This is not new, it's from a 2006 New York Times video by Mark Bittman,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

... Or search "new york times bread" or "making no-knead bread Mark Bittman" on youtube.

Voila, there's your stream of pictures.

I have done it with a ceramic pot, not having a cast-iron one, until I noticed that the ceramic one was starting to fracture. That's because you heat it up so hot and then throw the reelatively cool dough into it.

I then stopped making this bread because a) it's white ('unhealthy') but b) more importantly, this bread is absolutely superb fresh, but it doesn't store well, when you have to store it for a while it gets a tough gummy texture.

There is a special kind of bread roll traditionally made in parts of Southern Germany (Schwaben/Swabia) using the same principle, i.e., essentially using dough that was fermented with yeast overnight and simply cutting off pieces and baking them as-is, not destroying the texture that has formed. These bread rolls (called 'Seelen') have the same property, they are very crisp when fresh and can get this rubber-like texture when a bit older.
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. This sounds so easy and yummy.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump