Help! Too much sodium!

Options
Hey all,

Really struggling to overcome my awful habit that I've gained of putting vegetable stock, salt, soy sauce etc etc anything with salt on my veggies that I have for dinner every night!
Does anyone know any low sodium options that would give me a salty sort of edge? Started the habit in the first place because I eat veggies for dinner every night and got sick of the taste of normal veggies by themselves :(
Such an awful habit I'd love some advice.

Cheers :)

Replies

• 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You can start by cutting down whatever you are adding! Cut the amount of salt, soy sauce or whatever in 1/2.

You can also try mrs. dash, garlic powder or onion pqwder, not salt. Some vegies taste great with light dressing on top, or a timy bit of sesame oil. Another great flavor and good fat besides is avocado, if you like it!!

I have noticed that the more I do not add extra salt or salty condiments, the more I like the vegetable taste itself!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Or unless you have a medical issue, like high blood pressure, just don't worry about going over on sodium. I don't track sodium or sugar. There is no need to.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Or unless you have a medical issue, like high blood pressure, just don't worry about going over on sodium. I don't track sodium or sugar. There is no need to.

QFT Never tracked a single gram of either and don't plan on starting anytime soon.... Best of Luck
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar tastes salty, but has very little sodium (about 4 mg per tablespoon).
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    salt can cause high blood pressure so keeping an eye on it can stop this happening. Prevention is better than treating after the fact.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to watch your sodium! It can really mess with my system. I set my daily intake at 1500. I usually go a bit over, and sometimes a lot over, but it helps to know that it's being tracked strictly.

As others have said, use spices. I use black pepper, garlic powder, chipotle powder, basil, oregano and rosemary and Mrs. Dash has several different versions that are delicious! You can get all sorts of different flavor profiles depending on the combinations of spices.

I never cook with salt. That way, if I do add it after cooking, I have a good idea of how much I'm consuming.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    salt can cause high blood pressure so keeping an eye on it can stop this happening. Prevention is better than treating after the fact.

That's....not really the case. Low sodium is recommended as a treatment for patients with existing hypertension. I've not seen anything convincing to ever demonstrate a causal link between the two. Even in the case of existing hypertension, exercise + weight loss is a much better therapy than a low sodium diet.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Some really good information at this site. OP, if you are using processed foods, you could probably cut some there and be able to use salt on your veggies. Look at the chart on that page. :smile:

http://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/sodium.htm
    Too much sodium is bad for your health. It can increase your blood pressure and your risk for a heart attack and stroke.
    Nearly everyone benefits from reduced sodium consumption. Eating less sodium can help prevent, or control, high blood pressure.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Try to moderate your consumption, but don't obsess about it...
    Make your own stock and freeze it, tastes better than the canned stuff anyway
    :)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just drink a gallon of water (or enhanced water) a day. It will flush any extra sodium out of your system.
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    When I have to much salt I bloat really bad, and my weight goes up.. If you like soy sauce get the lite kind, it has a lot less sodium in it. They make low sodium stock as well. Like the otthers said, try salt alternitives, like Ms. Dash.. Good Luck!
  • violetartfolks
    Options
    I really like using herbs instead. try ginger, lemon pepper or garlic. also apple cider vinegar is great with pepper and lemon on most vegg and salads.
  • kaysmom13
    kaysmom13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fresh herbs work best or using onions or garlic where you can I used to be a salt head and fresh herbs has helped me alot
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try cutting down on the stock/soy sauce etc, or buy low sodium soy sauce-and I cannot taste the difference between low sodium and normal soy sauce. Also try using more herbs and spices to get more flavour into the food.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about salt. It doesn't seem to hurt me. My blood pressure is on the low side and I do drink a lot of water which probably helps keep me from retaining. I don't know why you would worry about it unless you had a health condition or it affected you in some other negative way. Plus, it's yummy. I like yummy things that aren't bad for me.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, I salt a lot of things and use things that have a lot of sodium, drink around a gallon of water a day and my blood pressure ranges from 115/78 to 120/80 every time I'm at the doctors or have it taken. I probably consume around 3500-4000 mg of sodium a day. I don't see any bloat really, unless for some reason my water intake is really low for that day.

Essentially I agree with those people that say unless you have high blood pressure I wouldn't worry about tracking it. I don't track sodium or sugar either.
  • jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Use sea salt. It has a lot less sodium with pretty much the same benefit flavor wise as adding table salt.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to save the ideas- I'm not too worried abt my sodium but looking to add new flavours.

But I use cayenne pepper power or chilli flakes on almost everything- If you can handle spicy foods, this may help curb the need for that salty taste. Big tip tho- start super small if you're not used to spice. Less than a pinch small... that stuff packs a punch lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Salt is essential to good cooking
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Salt is essential to good cooking

QFT especially Lawry Salt.....:drinker: